July 29: TFC vs. Puerto Rico Islanders (R)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Gerba is no good sofar.He needs to loose that weight and than he will be dangerous.It's so easy to cover an overweight guy.Yes Danny should have been a starter.He is very smart,great target man,great skills and superb motivation.Well above anyone else on that team.

Tonight was a nighthell and these Riccoos have good skills well coached and know how to close down our offence.Yes we outshot outcornered etc,but shots on goal meaning dangerous one not one I remember.Anyway we miss a dominating defender and or midfielder.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am just waiting for MediaGuy to show up! Yes tonight sure proved how superior MLS is to USL. The thought of him seeing that result in person brings a :) to my face. Can't wait for his excuses!:D

That was probably the most one-sided game I have seen in my three year history of attending TFC games. If anything (and I have never been a trumpeter of the MLS far superior than USL club) that game shows how superior MLS is to USL. There was no comparing the two teams.

TFC plays way too tight at home. They need to loosen up. Man that was frustrating.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

That was probably the most one-sided game I have seen in my three year history of attending TFC games. If anything (and I have never been a trumpeter of the MLS far superior than USL club) that game shows how superior MLS is to USL. There was no comparing the two teams.

TFC plays way too tight at home. They need to loosen up. Man that was frustrating.

Ha, Ha that is very funny. A 1-0 loss at home proves the superiority of your team and league. I hope MediaGuy at least has something better than that. BTW the last game we played against Puerto Rico we dominated play far more than TFC did tonight (which was not very much). We also lost 1-0. This is how Puerto Rico plays on the road and if TFC can't break that down there is absolutely no basis for them considering themselves a better team in a better league.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Maybe tells you something about the quality of the CMNT, SoccerfanatiQ (i.e not as good as some on here like to think). I think De Rosario should have played more centrally with Cronin if he had to be used out wide. That way the three best bets in possession terms (Robinson, Vitti and De Rosario) could have combined better. With the team that was put out there and the number of speculative high balls into the box Dichio should have been on much sooner. Cummins was outcoached tonight and most nights</u>.

fixed your post

Everyone knew that PRI was going to bunker, play a very organized, disciplined match and try to capitalize on a TFC error. EVERYONE knew this. This is what they do. clearly, the coaching staff wasn't up to the task to get the team prepped. They failed to get their team up for this match (first 45 minutes were abysmal) and the team really only seemed to wake up once they were scored upon.

TFC supporters...your team is not as good as you like to think it is. This is a mediocre squad, barely better in real terms than last season's squad.

Having said that, this schizo side might just lose this weekend in New England and then go to Puerto Rico and pump 4 goals by PRI and win this series. I wouldn't bet on it but it is possible

I only watched the 2nd half and these are my impressions:

1) PR played the perfect (and perfectly cynical) road match.

2) When it became apparent that PR was going to put 10 men behind the ball, and without Guevara on the field, you just knew that TFC were not going to be able to break through using short passes. Therefore, Dichio should have been brought on earlier. I'll give Cummins some slack if Dichio was nursing an injury as the urgency to score a goal only arrived late into the 2nd half (i.e., after PR scored).

3) Wynne--when the only quality that you can admire is a player is his pace, you have to start to wonder. It's not a surprise that Wynne received no playing time in South Africa.

4) GET RID OF THAT GOD-AWFUL TURF!!! :(:(:( I don't know how many times a TFC player had to wait that extra half-second for the ball to come back down. Anyone who has played competitive sports understands that it's this half-second of time that separates the greats from the also-rans.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Why hasn't Puerto Rico pursued MLS expansion yet? They are obviously one of the top sides of USL every year (at least since I've been paying attention and I'm awesome so that time period is all that matters), and have the fan support to offer a positive club to the MLS mix. Why have they stayed in USL-1 for so long? Surely there must be some incentive in going from USL-1 to MLS aside from giving the local community a 'top tier' team?

We are only 5 years old jeje. The problem like any other MLS prospect city is the lack of a rich enough owner(s). The stadium is owned by the city and already has a renovations expancion plan in place. I belive a MLS teams could draw 10k-13k a game here if done properly, the islanders have no poblicity or marketing so 2k-4k is very decent. Also theres no mayor sport team on the Island and a MLS team budget would dawrth anything a local baseball, basketball or volleyball team has.

I don't know if I've seen TFC play so lack-lustre and sh*tty in the three years I've watched them. Well... perhaps that's not true, but to think they'd throw everything they've got at PRI while at home and go for a badly needed three points didn't seem to fit into their game plan tonight. If they lose this prelim, they will disgrace Canadian footy, become the Leafs Jr., and show exactly how poor they really are. Vancouver got FAKING robbed, and would have won this one tonight. You incompetent pieces of sh*t, wake the fak up and pull this one out in Puerto Rico! What a sh*t performance, faking disgrace...

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I don't know if I've seen TFC play so lack-lustre and sh*tty in the three years I've watched them. Well... perhaps that's not true, but to think they'd throw everything they've got at PRI while at home and go for a badly needed three points didn't seem to fit into their game plan tonight. If they lose this prelim, they will disgrace Canadian footy, become the Leafs Jr., and show exactly how poor they really are. Vancouver got FAKING robbed, and would have won this one tonight. You incompetent pieces of sh*t, wake the fak up and pull this one out in Puerto Rico! What a sh*t performance, faking disgrace...

Was this the first TFC game you ever watched? Lacklustre and ****ty would be a good description of the majority of games they have played in the last 3 years and I think even a lot of TFC fans would agree with that. There is a reason they didn't made the playoffs the first two years and are 50/50 to make them now. The only difference in the play/result against PR is that people have been drinking the MLS is so much better than USL cool aid and expected TFC to win and dominate. It is rare that I miss his presence on this board but I am still waiting for our resident Jim Jones to appear.:D

The Canadian MNT players (the ones that still do and could play for the Nats ie. not Brennan) weren't the problem in this game. They were two of the few players to show any sense of urgency in the 1st half. If you want to point the finger, pointing it a former Welsh national team player would be the starting point (and he wants to play another 5 years in the league? He'll be lucky to last the season after last night's performance), followed by a handful of players not normally considered good enough for their national teams. And, it has to be said, Stefan Frei who hasn't looked good since TFC dumped Sutton.

TFC moved the ball wayyyyy too slowly in the 1st half, much of that down to Cronin and especially Robinson in the middle of the park acting as slow-ass connectors. They missed Guevara big time in that respect. They will probably do better in Puerto Rico because they'll play with some urgency from the start of the game instead of just the start of the 2nd half. With the crossing ability in this game, is it really too much to ask to give Gala a shot in that role, even if just late in the game?

As for Puerto Rico, I haven't seen that much cynical play and time-wasting at BMO since Costa Rica played there two years ago. I think I hate these guys more than any team in MLS. Why they were allowed by the Ref to stand only 5 yards back from each free kick is beyond me.

TFC looked like they were missing Guevara big time in the middle.

Vitti is just poor, virtually doing nothing apart from a couple of interesting dribble and slowing the game everytime he gets the ball into his feet.

Robinson and Cronin weren't creating anything but I'm not sure it's fair to ask them much in that regard.

Gerba missed a sitter but played a good game I thought. He looked more involve in the play than what he usually does with Canada (except scoring goals ;)).

MOTM, the keeper. Say what you want about his antics he played a perfect game and made 2-3 crucial saves in the 2nd half to keep PR in the game.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

TFC just not good enough, tonight's result must be very embarrassing for them and their fans.

Hardly.

Disappointing? Very. Embarrassing? Not so much.

PR played the bunker game to perfection. 75% of the play was in their half, but TFC without Guevara could not play a style that was ever going to truly break them down. Even so, it took a couple of very good saves from penis-head Gaudette (who may be the worst time-wasting cunt I've ever seen in my life, no hyperbole) to preserve the result.

TFC needs both DeRo and Guevara on the field at the same time to be able to handle the bunker-n-hack style that teams like PR employ. Take one of them away and they triple team the other, effective disabling all creativity in attack.

All of that said, PR was ridiculously cynical, and if people think they always play like that against USL opponents they are showing their bias against TFC. PR may play a counter-attacking style against other USL sides, but they actually have the balls to leave their own half knowing that they can run and gun with a USL side. If they tried that at BMO last night, they would have lost, heavily.

But take nothing away, they stuck to their game plan, as BS and cynical as it was.

And Grizzly, if you don't think TFC dominated that match, you're the one drinking the Kool-Aid. The fact is that the 3rd place USL side felt it necessary to play a ridiculous 11-men-behind-the-ball game against the current 10th place side in MLS. And had their keeper not stood on his penis head on more than one occasion, they would have lost.

If that doesn't show that there is a gap in quality between MLS and USL, well then I guess you can keep having fun in that dream world of yours (all while you inexplicably pine for Montreal's entry into MLS).

The fact is PRI won away against an MLS side playing the exact same way they have played away in USL and CCL for the last year at least and TFC could not handle them. I don't know why everyone is crying cynical since most teams throughout the soccer world play like this away. I am enjoying the excuses and whining though!

BTW, I am not pining for Montreal's entry to MLS. The MLS level of football disappoints me greatly though if they followed my advice that I don't think I need to repeat the potential to greatly improve the level is there. What MLS has over USL is more franchises in larger cities and it is far better marketed which are the main reasons I would like to see us join MLS. I only hope that they change the way the league is run so that by the time we join there is an obvious improvement in playing level over USL.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The fact is PRI won away against an MLS side playing the exact same way they have played away in USL and CCL for the last year at least and TFC could not handle them. I don't know why everyone is crying cynical since most teams throughout the soccer world play like this away. I am enjoying the excuses and whining though!

Where's the excuses? I clearly said PR played their game plan to perfection.

Your assertion that USL is on par with MLS because MLS' tenth-placed side lost to one of USL's top teams is ridiculous, and you know it.

And no, PR doesn't play that way in the USL. They tend to leave their own half more than twice per game against USL opponents. I've watched many of their games this year on USL Live, and I've seen with my own eyes PR actually attempting to attack against USL opponents, something that did not happen yesterday.

I get that you're doing your duty as the most vocal Montreal fan to stir the pot against Toronto at every given opportunity, but at least try to be factual when doing so.

Ah I get it, so now it's PRI's fault that TFC couldn't find a way to score even one goal last night, wow! It's either that or the fact the Guevara wasn't there that TFC couldn't do it. Plain and simple, TFC the team just wasn't up to the task.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Ah I get it, so now it's PRI's fault that TFC couldn't find a way to score even one goal last night, wow!

And now Richard is reading words that weren't typed. Again. Wow!

Of course it's PRI's "fault" that TFC couldn't score. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT PRI WAS TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH!

quote:It's either that or the fact the Guevara wasn't there that TFC couldn't do it.

You're just being intentionally obtuse.

I said TFC needs both Guevara and DeRo on the pitch to be able to effectively break down a bunker. If one is missing, all creativity disappears as the opponent is able to key in on the remaining player and neutralize him.

How is what I said wrong?

quote:Plain and simple, TFC the team just wasn't up to the task.

They could have used you in the broadcast booth last night.

Your insight clearly puts guys like Jason DeVos to shame.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

TFC looked like they were missing Guevara big time in the middle.

Vitti is just poor, virtually doing nothing apart from a couple of interesting dribble and slowing the game everytime he gets the ball into his feet.

Robinson and Cronin weren't creating anything but I'm not sure it's fair to ask them much in that regard.

Gerba missed a sitter but played a good game I thought. He looked more involve in the play than what he usually does with Canada (except scoring goals ;)).

MOTM, the keeper. Say what you want about his antics he played a perfect game and made 2-3 crucial saves in the 2nd half to keep PR in the game.

There were too many passing/possession giveaways in the first half. Though some posters throw him under the bus pretty quickly when he's not having a good match, Guevara and his midfield creativity was missing this evening. Cronin's shining moment was his headed pass to Gerba and that should have turned into 1-0, but that's that.

Archived