May 13 - V's Cup: Toronto vs. Montreal

quote:Originally posted by Ageroo

I will never count out Montreal.....but their form of late could be their downfall. As a Toronto fan I am hoping for the best. Here's to a good match!

Thank god Grande is back in... Testo was the only natural center mid at the home opener and it was POROUS. Placentino has been on a good run so hopefully for us he can continue to provide what DiLo would normally. Should be a good one, the Impact cannot afford to sit back and absorb.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Keano

Thank god Grande is back in... Testo was the only natural center mid at the home opener and it was POROUS. Placentino has been on a good run so hopefully for us he can continue to provide what DiLo would normally. Should be a good one, the Impact cannot afford to sit back and absorb.

I disagree here. Last year MTL did sit back and absorb in Toronto, getting most of their opportunities on counters and set pieces.

IMO, the best plan for Montreal is to sit back and play a strong defensive game. TFC have the weapons to create chances but they haven't been really effective finishing them. So, if MTL can defend well and avoid TFC getting too many chances I could see them getting a point. But playing with offense in mind would be suicidal IMO.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I disagree here. Last year MTL did sit back and absorb in Toronto, getting most of their opportunities on counters and set pieces.

IMO, the best plan for Montreal is to sit back and play a strong defensive game. TFC have the weapons to create chances but they haven't been really effective finishing them. So, if MTL can defend well and avoid TFC getting too many chances I could see them getting a point. But playing with offense in mind would be suicidal IMO.

I know that's what they did last year but we were playing solid D, had Pesoli healthy, and were getting stellar keeping from Jordan. So far all three of those factors are not happening early this season. Jordan has been alright.

IMO sitting back and absorbing is suicidal. Every single time the Impact has done this, they have paid for it (santos game in torreon, for example lol).

The impact went far in CCL last year because they didnt play like an inferior team, creating many offensive chances. The more they have the ball, the less the other team controls it.

You can play strong defensive, but sooner or later you're going to pay if you're betting too much on it.

In any case, I don't expect the IMFC to win, but if we want at the very least avoid a massacre, they cannot simply "sit back and absorb".

quote:Originally posted by SoccerfanatiQ

I was expecting Sportsnet to broadcast the game coast to coast, well again it shows that we are not there yet in Canada.

As an Impact fan I have to admit that TFC as better chances this year to win the championship.

So if you To. guy's win, at least make it to the semi of CCL ,for canadian soccer sake !

I totally agreed...I'm a Impact Fan but I believe that TFC has more chance to win...we'll see. At the end, I'll support any winner to bring us up in the CONCACAF. We did well this year with the impact but we need to continue (with any canadian team). About the TV coverage....same thing every year.:(

Very strange that lack of TV coverage and of all sports rivalries,this should be it and for the future to come.Are the anti soccer gods at work again?

I also think that Montreal is technically the better team,but with our fan support we will win.3-1

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

IMO sitting back and absorbing is suicidal. Every single time the Impact has done this, they have paid for it (santos game in torreon, for example lol).

The impact went far in CCL last year because they didnt play like an inferior team, creating many offensive chances. The more they have the ball, the less the other team controls it.

You can play strong defensive, but sooner or later you're going to pay if you're betting too much on it.

In any case, I don't expect the IMFC to win, but if we want at the very least avoid a massacre, they cannot simply "sit back and absorb".

I agree playing not to lose never works, Just look at the away game at Santos Laguna, the Impact sat back and tried to defend, and ultimately collapsed.

I'm hoping that the players see this game as a challange, and go out and play attractive, counter attacking football. As I mentioned previously, the keys for the Impact are; a return to form for Matt Jordan (has to be more vocal), And having Pizzolitto playing more agressive.

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

Like I said, MTL won the V's Cup last year with a defensive game plan away at BMO Field.

You could even argue that it almost worked out in Torreon if it wasn't for a freak ending of the game. So you can't really say it never works. It does but it's not an exact science either.

MTL never striked me as a very good offensive team, so that's why I think they should be using their defense to get a result. Maybe it's been suspect so far this year but it was pretty solid at the end of last season and in the CCL. Of course MTL is able to play, so I'm not suggesting they should play like they did in that second half in Mexico, but they should be cautious not sending too many man forward when the game is still tie.

@ loyola,

Thanx for your post, I respect your opinion, but don't share it. Even last game against Rochester, we lost because we stopped playing offense for the last 25 minutes of the first half.

In the second half, we totally dominated rochester, because we started playing offensive. Granted they didnt score, but I'm sure you agree with me when I say they should've scored and win this game.

As for the Torreon game, I totally disagree... they were completely outplayed, especially in the second half. Playing defensive forces the play to be controlled by the opponent, and mostly in your own zone. You're only asking for trouble, because you spend your time clearing and giving possession to the opponent. Sooner or later, the ball is going to end in your net.

In any case, it's my opinion, and I appreciate yours. Lets just hope it's going to be a hard-fought game... because I have a bad feeling...

To me this game decides the cup. If TFC gets all three points from this one, it's going to take a lot to pry the cup from their hands. If the Impact manage to take a point home, it could be last year all over again (which would be grand). Vancouver will be the whipping boy again, but if TFC and MTL draw both games, the Caps could squeeze their way into top spot.

TFC 1 MTL 1

I don't understand some people...." totally agreed...I'm a Impact Fan but I believe that TFC has more chance to win...we'll see. At the end, I'll support any winner to bring us up in the CONCACAF"

Why not just say, I'm a soccer fan and any team that goes thru from Canada i hope will represent us well. IMPACT FANS DO NOT CHEER FOR TORONTO OR VANCOUVER or any other team but theirs! what the eff is wrong with u, this is club soccer not international teams, no countries involved here, we want the Impact to make it and if they don't well screw Toronto or Vancouver i hope thwy fail miserably, thats what a FAN is,!!! losers

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

I don't understand some people...." totally agreed...I'm a Impact Fan but I believe that TFC has more chance to win...we'll see. At the end, I'll support any winner to bring us up in the CONCACAF"

Why not just say, I'm a soccer fan and any team that goes thru from Canada i hope will represent us well. IMPACT FANS DO NOT CHEER FOR TORONTO OR VANCOUVER or any other team but theirs! what the eff is wrong with u, this is club soccer not international teams, no countries involved here, we want the Impact to make it and if they don't well screw Toronto or Vancouver i hope thwy fail miserably, thats what a FAN is,!!! losers

that's it...you don't understand...you got it.Obviously you don't get it...You believe your a soccer fan!!!! Any one can chear for a team and still predict the outcome of a match and still be a real fan.!!! Retourne à l'école pour apprendre autre chose

Archived