The Success of the USL continues!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Keano

The 3 best USL teams (interestingly all based outside mainland US) would be even with most MLS teams most nights. This is a widely held observation... outside of MLS hard-ons.

If the Montreal Impact played in MLS they would finish near the bottom of the table. To think otherwise is delusional, ignores historical evidence and is dangerous for the development of the game in this country.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

The 3 best USL teams (interestingly all based outside mainland US) would be even with most MLS teams most nights. This is a widely held observation... outside of MLS hard-ons.

Link?

As someone who has seen the worst the USL has to offer (the Lynx) and the worst MLS has to offer (the first two years of TFC), I can honestly say that the difference is night and day.

TFC of 07/08 would be at or near the top of the USL table over the course of an entire season. I can only imagine what a team like Columbus of 08 would do. It wouldn't be pretty.

Congrats on Montreal's successes, but suggesting that they can routinely hang with "most" MLS sides is nothing but USL hard-on speak.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

If the Montreal Impact played in MLS they would finish near the bottom of the table. To think otherwise is delusional, ignores historical evidence and is dangerous for the development of the game in this country.

Seriously?

I think Montreal could hold their own over the course of an MLS season. They wouldn't be great, but they wouldn't suck either. As individuals they are not extremely talented, but they combine well as a team and are coached superbly.

quote:Originally posted by Alex D

Seriously?

I think Montreal could hold their own over the course of an MLS season. They wouldn't be great, but they wouldn't suck either. As individuals they are not extremely talented, but they combine well as a team and are coached superbly.

They would be about as good as an expansion team 9an expansion team without any ability to significantly improve long-term). They would win a few, yes, but over a season they would be broken down. This board is about the only place in the world where you could find someone seriously arguing that USL is on par talent wise with MLS. And I say this without making one damn excuse for the way MLS approached the CCL. I think it's shameful that they used reserves in the group games.

As for TFC v Vancouver and Montreal. Toronto didn't score. And that's Toronto's problem, not the 'Caps or Impact. But, anyone that watched the games could see that TFC had technically superior players.

So, yes, it's dangerous to the development of the game to settle in the USL. More:

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/02/some-sobering-thoughts-in-afterglow.html

They would be about as good as an expansion team 9an expansion team without any ability to significantly improve long-term). They would win a few, yes, but over a season they would be broken down. This board is about the only place in the world where you could find someone seriously arguing that USL is on par talent wise with MLS. And I say this without making one damn excuse for the way MLS approached the CCL. I think it's shameful that they used reserves in the group games.

As for TFC v Vancouver and Montreal. Toronto didn't score. And that's Toronto's problem, not the 'Caps or Impact. But, anyone that watched the games could see that TFC had technically superior players.

So, yes, it's dangerous to the development of the game to settle in the USL. More:

http://24thminute.blogspot.com/2009/02/some-sobering-thoughts-in-afterglow.html

We've had this discussion many times. Face the facts, There are two USL teams vs one MLS team left in this competition. What does that say about MLS? New England got slaughtered by a very average Joe Public Team, even if they were resting some of their regulars. What this tells me is that with the exception of 3 to four starters on any MLS side, the rest are below USL standards, and have zero depth.

Add two quality players to the Impact and I would have no quams saying that this team could hold their own in the MLS.

Furthermore as far as Montreal is concerned I would say yes to the MLS, but not at all costs. Given the current strcuture of the League, the team is better off in the USL. As far the article is concerned, It didn't factor in what happens to the League if/when Beckham leaves, and more importantly, what happens if they cant get the $40 million expansion fees they so desperately need?

There is a difference between willing to pay the fee, and actually disbursing the amount. The league has to be asking itself questions now that Miami has pulled out.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Add two quality players to the Impact and I would have no quams saying that this team could hold their own in the MLS.

That's the point, isn't it?

I'd say they need to add more than two, but whatever number you throw up there proves the point regardless.

I never suggested that A) even a good USL side wouldn't finish low down in the MLS table, B) that the USL as a whole is on par with the MLS, or that C) TFC didn't advance out of the Voyageurs Cup because they aren't as good as the Impact. You are flaming my post even though I never said anything you are addressing in yours.

If the Islanders and the Impact are getting similar to better results in the CL than Houston, that logically suggests that against mediocre-to-bad MLS teams they would probably be able to hold their own most nights. That's all I said.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'd say they need to add more than two, but whatever number you throw up there proves the point regardless.

It's hard to say. A lot of us are really only familiar with the Toronto FC roster which hasn't been all that competitive in MLS yet. I think a lot of the position players are comparable, and I'd argue that the Impact depth is better, but there are a few spots on the field where Montreal's roster is significantly behind.

Spot by spot

GK: Not a lot to choose from between Jordan and Sutton

RB: Wynne significantly better (though much better defensively) than Braz

CBs: Not a lot to choose from. CB isn't Serioux's best position. If Pesoli healthy than I call this position a draw until Toronto signs someone better.

LB: Brennan and di Lorenzo are pretty comparable.

Wings: Advantage TFC. Gjertsen could probably play in MLS, but not start.

CM: I probably rate Grande higher than most, but I don't think he's at that different a level than Robinson. But Montreal has nobody at the level of Guevara.

AM: De Rosario vs who? Gjertsen? I think DDR is overrated by a lot here, but he is still quite a lot better.

ST: Advantage TFC. But not by much, yet. Don't know what Vitti has to offer.

I think the difference is smaller if I were to compare with last year's TFC roster. In other words, the Impact would probably finish near the bottom of MLS, but wouldn't clearly be the worst team.

Furthermore as far as Montreal is concerned I would say yes to the MLS, but not at all costs. Given the current strcuture of the League, the team is better off in the USL. As far the article is concerned, It didn't factor in what happens to the League if/when Beckham leaves, and more importantly, what happens if they cant get the $40 million expansion fees they so desperately need?

There is a difference between willing to pay the fee, and actually disbursing the amount. The league has to be asking itself questions now that Miami has pulled out.

Miami hasn't pulled out. It might, but it hasn't yet. Come to think of it, you can say the exact same thing about Miami FC in USL.

MLS is as healthy as it ever has been. There is no risk of it going under. Suggesting otherwise is to ignore basic evidence.

Did you guys enjoy Wed.? It must have been nice to have a lot of the city tuned into what was happening--looking at UM02 and taking its lead from you. That's what we in Toronto feel every week. Outside of occasional one-off games you will NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN in Montreal so long as you stay in the minor leagues.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

In all seriousness jono, i understand that when one falls into an addiction, it can seem impossible to overcome. But as a guy looking out for a fellow voyageur, I would ask that you PLEASE STOP SMOKING CRACK.

(Or at the very least, stop posting when you are high).

That is all.

Did you guys enjoy Wed.? It must have been nice to have a lot of the city tuned into what was happening--looking at UM02 and taking its lead from you. That's what we in Toronto feel every week. Outside of occasional one-off games you will NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN in Montreal so long as you stay in the minor leagues.

I've been in TO on game days, and while there's more awareness before a regular TFC game then there is before a regular Impact game, what happened Wednesday does not compare with TFC's buzz (except maybe the opener or a Beckham game - there hasn't been a playoff game yet).

People will still be talking about this game until Thursday when the return leg happens, and if the Impact move on, we're looking at 1 month of serious Impact talk all over the city.

While you make (somewhat of) a point, that Montreal's USL games don't compare in interest to TFC's MLS games, I think you're underestimating the popular reaction and enthusiasm from EVERYONE in Montreal (no anti-soccer grouches here), "ethnic" or not.

I don't know, you tell me! Don't make it sound like there is a world of difference between a top MLS side and the Montreal Impact. The difference is two quality players not more.

I don't know, you tell me! Don't make it sound like there is a world of difference between a top MLS side and the Montreal Impact. The difference is two quality players not more.

There is a world of difference between, say, Columbus (THE top MLS side) and Montreal. If they play each other ten times, Columbus wins nine. At least.

Hell, there was a difference between TFC (one of the worst MLS sides last year) and Montreal. Or did you forget that Toronto took four points out of six?

I'm basing my opinion on having watched Columbus play live twice last year. Same with Montreal. How many times have you seen Columbus play live? Houston? Chicago?

To answer your post directly, from Columbus Schelotto, Hejduk, Rogers, Ekpo, Marshall, Carroll, Gaven, Moreno and Noonan are all upgrades over what Montreal currently has on their roster.

But hey, I'm a TFC supporter, so obviously I'm completely biased and only out to get the Impact at every turn.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

It's hard to say. A lot of us are really only familiar with the Toronto FC roster which hasn't been all that competitive in MLS yet. I think a lot of the position players are comparable, and I'd argue that the Impact depth is better, but there are a few spots on the field where Montreal's roster is significantly behind.

Spot by spot

GK: Not a lot to choose from between Jordan and Sutton

RB: Wynne significantly better (though much better defensively) than Braz

CBs: Not a lot to choose from. CB isn't Serioux's best position. If Pesoli healthy than I call this position a draw until Toronto signs someone better.

Wings: Advantage TFC. Gjertsen could probably play in MLS, but not start.

CM: I probably rate Grande higher than most, but I don't think he's at that different a level than Robinson. But Montreal has nobody at the level of Guevara.

AM: De Rosario vs who? Gjertsen? I think DDR is overrated by a lot here, but he is still quite a lot better.

ST: Advantage TFC. But not by much, yet. Don't know what Vitti has to offer.

I think the difference is smaller if I were to compare with last year's TFC roster. In other words, the Impact would probably finish near the bottom of MLS, but wouldn't clearly be the worst team.

I will make some modifications to your evaluation:

GK: I believe that Jordan is superior (He makes less mistake)

RB: Ok

CB: As a whole the pair Pesoli-Pizzolitto is better than the TFC pair unless it proves me wrong

LB: Ok

Wings: Ok

CM: I pick Grande anytime over Robinson but yes Guevara is more talented(also a troublemaker)

AM: Ok

ST: maybe TFC striker are more talented, but I'm not sure they are more effective

Sub: Montreal sub are better than TFC

As a team (collective game), the Impact are vastly superior as TFC. If the two team were in MLS, I would not be surprise to see the Impact finish ahead of TFC in the standing.

and yes Columbus would win the majority of the game vs the Impact but come on, maybe 6-7 out of 10 but never 9 out of 10.

quote:Originally posted by JFC

and yes Columbus would win the majority of the game vs the Impact but come on, maybe 6-7 out of 10 but never 9 out of 10.

You're right, I was prone to a bit of hyperbole there.

I meant to say 8 of 10.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

In all seriousness jono, i understand that when one falls into an addiction, it can seem impossible to overcome. But as a guy looking out for a fellow voyageur, I would ask that you PLEASE STOP SMOKING CRACK.

(Or at the very least, stop posting when you are high).

That is all.

Agree with Jono 100 % here. A pretty fair statement IMO.

There is a world of difference between, say, Columbus (THE top MLS side) and Montreal. If they play each other ten times, Columbus wins nine. At least.

Where is Columbus now? Two days ago, the Impact beat a full Santos Laguna side. Ever hear of them?

Hell, there was a difference between TFC (one of the worst MLS sides last year) and Montreal. Or did you forget that Toronto took four points out of six?

Yeah there was a HUGE DIFFERENCE. a 1-0 WIN and a 0-0 draw. Add the finishing of an Eddy Sebrango into the mix, and the Impact win convincingly.

I'm basing my opinion on having watched Columbus play live twice last year. Same with Montreal. How many times have you seen Columbus play live? Houston? Chicago?

What difference does it make if you saw them play live, or on TV? I saw Toronto Live, and on TV and wasn't impressed both times. I also watched Houston In the Champions League, also wasn't nlown away, but of course they probably weren't using their best players ...right?

To answer your post directly, from Columbus Schelotto, Hejduk, Rogers, Ekpo, Marshall, Carroll, Gaven, Moreno and Noonan are all upgrades over what Montreal currently has on their roster.

Thats your opinion. Personally, I think Schelotto is an over paid Hack, Hejduck is over the Hill, and the rest don't impress me.

But hey, I'm a TFC supporter, so obviously I'm completely biased and only out to get the Impact at every turn.

Thats right. Not only are you biased, but you're also jealous. Never once have you acknowledged what The Montreal Impact are doing for Canadian Soccer. You keep dreaming about what could have been, while I'll keep on living it.

you will NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN in Montreal so long as you stay in the minor leagues.

bizarre statement, the city's continued acknowledgment and celebration of the club has no relationship to what league they play in. In fact a big part of what has captured people's imaginations IS the idea of such a spirited, heart-based performance coming out of such a humble level.

Also, the MLS is minor league. Using the word "Major" in the title does not make it so.

Archived