The Success of the USL continues!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

If the Montreal Impact played in MLS they would finish near the bottom of the table. To think otherwise is delusional, ignores historical evidence and is dangerous for the development of the game in this country.

It burns really badly to see someone use the word "dangerous" when referring to soccer development in Canada, especially in this context.

TFC lost or tied most of their games last year in the MLS and didn't win a tournament that involved them and two USL teams. To suggest that TFC would stay at the top of the USL is a ridiculous statement with no foundation.

What "historical evidence" has been presented to prove the Impact would finish at the bottom of the MLS? (Other than their current position in the Champions league)...

Miami hasn't pulled out. It might, but it hasn't yet. Come to think of it, you can say the exact same thing about Miami FC in USL.

MLS is as healthy as it ever has been. There is no risk of it going under. Suggesting otherwise is to ignore basic evidence.

Did you guys enjoy Wed.? It must have been nice to have a lot of the city tuned into what was happening--looking at UM02 and taking its lead from you. That's what we in Toronto feel every week. Outside of occasional one-off games you will NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN in Montreal so long as you stay in the minor leagues.

I am confused.. Toronto plays in MLS, Montreal in USL, Montreal is the Canadian Champion so they are better then Toronto.

Montreal drew 55,000 plus to a February soccer game .. TFC has been watching CBC.

Mo goes to Rio to get his MoJo going, DeSantis signs Eddie..

oh. wait should Montreal win it all, they would play mmm the greatest club teams in the World.. in the World Club Championships.

Media Guy .. get a clue dont try to piss in against the wind, get behind Montreal in this run and let the MLS hard on you have subside when the Hibernian crew in TO is gone you might get a club to be proud of.

Damn tequilla down south is good.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Where is Columbus now? Two days ago, the Impact beat a full Santos Laguna side. Ever hear of them?

In the Champions League 09/10. What do you want them to do, travel through time?

quote:Yeah there was a HUGE DIFFERENCE. a 1-0 WIN and a 0-0 draw. Add the finishing of an Eddy Sebrango into the mix, and the Impact win convincingly.

If your aunt had a willy, she'd be your uncle.

Add the unpredictability of Dwayne De Rosario and Pablo Vitti and the finishing of Chad Barrett, and TFC probably wins both games, and by a more convincing. See? I can play the "but if" game too.

I didn't say there was a huge difference, those are your words. I merely said there was a difference. Neutral observers on this boards have conceded that Toronto was the better side against both Montreal and Vancouver.

quote:What difference does it make if you saw them play live, or on TV? I saw Toronto Live, and on TV and wasn't impressed both times. I also watched Houston In the Champions League, also wasn't nlown away, but of course they probably weren't using their best players ...right?

Again, you attributing your own words to me. Try reading my posts rather than jumping into some tirade against stuff that others have written.

You saw Toronto and wasn't impressed? No sh*t, they were one of the worst teams in MLS. You were the one comparing Montreal to the 'best' in MLS, which does not include TFC from 2008.

As for Houston, they played a decent game at home, just about as well as Montreal did.

quote:Thats your opinion. Personally, I think Schelotto is an over paid Hack, Hejduck is over the Hill, and the rest don't impress me.

Yes, that's my opinion, which you specifically asked me for when saying "you tell me."

Schelotto was the MVP of the entire league last year, and while he's a diving c*nt, he's not a hack. Hejduk started for the USA TWO WEEKS AGO versus Mexico in their World Cup Qualifier, not exactly low level competition.

The "rest" that you so easily brush off have international caps for countries like the US and Nigeria.

Regardless, most (if not all) of the players I listed would walk onto the Montreal starting XI that played on Wednesday night.

quote:Thats right. Not only are you biased, but you're also jealous. Never once have you acknowledged what The Montreal Impact are doing for Canadian Soccer. You keep dreaming about what could have been, while I'll keep on living it.

So you've read everything I've written at every soccer board, and overheard every conversation I've had on the topic? The Impact must feel proud to have an all-seeing mind such as yourself among its fanbase.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

What "historical evidence" has been presented to prove the Impact would finish at the bottom of the MLS? (Other than their current position in the Champions league)...

What "historical evidence" exists to suggest that they wouldn't?

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Mo goes to Rio to get his MoJo going, DeSantis signs Eddie..

Way to pay attention.

The rest of your post was far too bizarre to even quote, let alone respond to.

What I want to ask of everyone here chirping about the superiority of the Impact given the results of this tournament is as follows.

(Bear with me here)

The Impact have gotten results in the CCL, and that's great. Kudos to them (and I'm serious here). Now there are all of a sudden tons on Impact fans who are proclaiming Montreal to be far superior to Toronto, etc. A lot of it is trash talk that is to be expected given the rivalry that has grown from the games that were played last summer, but some of it is serious.

My question is, if the rest of us (TFC fans) are supposed to accept the results of the CCL as a demonstration of MTL's superiority over TFC, in doing so, do we simply ignore the only head-to-head results between the two teams, in which TFC came out on top?

This is something I've wanted to ask for a while, and I'm genuinely curious as to the responses I'll receive. How can we ignore the only actual competition between the two sides?

All I'll say is all this trash talk is GREAT for Canadian soccer - no question about it. You can't buy or artificially create this kind of hype and excitement.

And that the wankiest of the TFC fans should show a little humility and give credit where it is due, like most Caps fans have been doing.

IMO, it is very likely the last time any of these three teams makes it this far again - why not sit back, crack a cold one and enjoy the ride?

Just an idea.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

All I'll say is all this trash talk is GREAT for Canadian soccer - no question about it. You can't buy or artificially create this kind of hype and excitement.

And that the wankiest of the TFC fans should show a little humility and give credit where it is due, like most Caps fans have been doing.

IMO, it is very likely the last time any of these three teams makes it this far again - why not sit back, crack a cold one and enjoy the ride?

Just an idea.

So which will it be, nolando?

Shall I continue the trash talk, or sit back, "show humility" and enjoy the ride? :D

I'm still awaiting an answer from the masses to my bolded question a couple of posts up, btw.

What's best for the sport in this country has NOTHING to do with the results of ONE tournament.

Congratulations Impact fans. I'm happy for you. Seriously. But, that doesn't change my position. Your management made a HUGE mistake when it played hardball with MLS and as much as you want to drink the Kool-Aid now, I guarantee you that you're going to want to string JS up by his testicles in about three years for screwing you over on the MLS front.

I get it. You think the USL is a better option for Montreal. You think that because you're convinced that the Impact will play in the CONCACAF Champions League every year. You honestly believe that the MVP of MLS is a hack and that the Impact, as currently constructed, could walk into MLS and be a championship contending team. Years of MLS v USL results don’t change your opinion because you believe that Montreal is a special team that will buck that trend.

I hope you have a league to play in five years from now. I hope you enjoy this current run. And I hope you one day understand the difference between being happy to see a Cinderella run and blowing smoke up your own a sses.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Also, the MLS is minor league. Using the word "Major" in the title does not make it so.

When you denigrate MLS you denigrate all domestic club soccer in North America. You are really no better than the Euro-snobs. My argument isn’t that USL is not worth support; it’s that it is clearly the second tier. Actually, that’s all the league itself claims to be so I’m not sure why it’s so controversial.

For everyone that claims that I haven’t offered any support of the Impact, I’m going to suggest that you aren’t reading very closely. It seems to me that it doesn’t matter how many times you congratulate Montreal, all people here hear are the buts.

I’m not going to bother with the link. This is what I wrote Wednesday night immediately after the game:

quote:Don't even try to understand how it happened. That's not possible. The Mexican football league is the best in CONCACAF. No one argues otherwise. The USL is not. Yet, for 90 minutes tonight it was the Montreal Impact that was writing the story line.

Forget the history and ignore the pre-game analysis by the "experts." All that mattered was the score line.

The Montreal Impact two. Santos Laguna nothing.

Everything else is meaningless.

Montreal won this game the same way it’s won every game in this remarkable run--through hard work, opportune scoring and dogged defending. It wasn't really pretty soccer, but it was effective.

Eduardo Sebrango scored both goals. Although Santos Laguna had a lot of the ball they really didn't do much with it. It must be said that Montréal deserved the result.

Could you please tell me how that isn’t giving Montreal credit?

But all that doesn’t change my thesis. It’s a mistake to stay in the USL and you are making a mistake by supporting that decision. And that opinion has ***nothing*** to do with TFC.

It seems to me that it doesn’t matter how many times you congratulate Montreal, all people here hear are the buts.

I suppose it's because a sincere, genuine complement does not have any 'buts' in it. You're trying to make like you're giving Montreal Impact it's due, but what you're really doing is continuing to be the know-it-all wank that you usually are. In an open competition between three clubs on equal footing, Montreal proved to be the best. They are now doing themselves proud on a much bigger stage. You need to concede that and hope that your club does better next time and leave the 'buts' out of it.

When you denigrate MLS you denigrate all domestic club soccer in North America. You are really no better than the Euro-snobs. My argument isn’t that USL is not worth support; it’s that it is clearly the second tier. Actually, that’s all the league itself claims to be so I’m not sure why it’s so controversial.

For everyone that claims that I haven’t offered any support of the Impact, I’m going to suggest that you aren’t reading very closely. It seems to me that it doesn’t matter how many times you congratulate Montreal, all people here hear are the buts.

I’m not going to bother with the link. This is what I wrote Wednesday night immediately after the game:

But all that doesn’t change my thesis. It’s a mistake to stay in the USL and you are making a mistake by supporting that decision. And that opinion has ***nothing*** to do with TFC.

Ah-ah-ah, blowhard, I didn't denigrate it, just called it minor league. I'm a fan of it, and in particular TFC who I have seen live and watch on TV. But it is not a Major League. I also follow Impact and Bristol Rovers. Calling the MLS a minor league is not to denigrate it.

On your other part, well, you're confusing me with someone else. I never said you haven't given credit to the Impact, actually I don't care who you do or don't give credit to because you don't matter to me.

This thread was about how well Impact and Islanders are doing in the CL. You couldn't let that pass and had to hijack the thread by" DENIGRATING" the USL. (see snide post with silly full stops after every word). If that doesn't show a bizarre agenda of anti-USL sentiment I don't know what does. Grow a pair and stop whining.

Here are a couple very simple facts off the top of my head. Sutton and Braz both played in the USL and MLS. Sutton was by far the best keeper in the USL for years and Braz was/is one of the best USL defenders.

Lets be realistic here, when both players went to MLS their talent didnt leave them, but they became mediocre players due to the better competition in MLS. I remember Sutton DOMINATED in Montreal, was it because Montreal's defense was better than TFCs is? or because the talent in MLS is that much better than the talent they played against in the USL?

Oh and just for the record im a TFC fan, but I'd have to conceive that Montreal getting this far in the CCL is probably one of the best things that could ever happen to Canadian CLUB soccer.

The support Montreal is receiving is undeniable.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Here are a couple very simple facts off the top of my head. Sutton and Braz both played in the USL and MLS. Sutton was by far the best keeper in the USL for years and Braz was/is one of the best USL defenders.

Lets be realistic here, when both players went to MLS their talent didnt leave them, but they became mediocre players due to the better competition in MLS. I remember Sutton DOMINATED in Montreal, was it because Montreal's defense was better than TFCs is? or because the talent in MLS is that much better than the talent they played against in the USL?

I agree with you, everyone knows that on an individual level most MLS players are better than most USL players. Although Braz is not among our best 4 defenders, maybe he was at one time.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Ah-ah-ah, blowhard, I didn't denigrate it, just called it minor league. I'm a fan of it, and in particular TFC who I have seen live and watch on TV. But it is not a Major League. I also follow Impact and Bristol Rovers. Calling the MLS a minor league is not to denigrate it.

On your other part, well, you're confusing me with someone else. I never said you haven't given credit to the Impact, actually I don't care who you do or don't give credit to because you don't matter to me.

This thread was about how well Impact and Islanders are doing in the CL. You couldn't let that pass and had to hijack the thread by" DENIGRATING" the USL. (see snide post with silly full stops after every word). If that doesn't show a bizarre agenda of anti-USL sentiment I don't know what does. Grow a pair and stop whining.

Grow a pair and stop whining? WTF are you talking about? How am I whining?

The USL was Canada's primary pro development model from 1993 to 2006. How did that work out for us.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT THE SCOREBORD. IT'S ABOUT WHAT'S BEST FOR CANADIAN SOCCER.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

I suppose it's because a sincere, genuine complement does not have any 'buts' in it. You're trying to make like you're giving Montreal Impact it's due, but what you're really doing is continuing to be the know-it-all wank that you usually are. In an open competition between three clubs on equal footing, Montreal proved to be the best. They are now doing themselves proud on a much bigger stage. You need to concede that and hope that your club does better next time and leave the 'buts' out of it.

AGAIN - This in *****NOT***** about TFC. It's about the USL.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Lucid.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

As much as I agree with most of the points you've made in this thread MediaGuy I must say that first post was uncalled for....

I'm not sure why the first post was so offensive. The blowing smoke up your a sses one was far more uncalled for IMO.

I care about the development of the game in this country and I think that the Impact need to be in MLS. Partly because I fear for the future of the USL – at least in its current form. So I don’t want people to be blinded by one win.

Convincing yourself that this run is evidence that the Impact are “better off” in USL, which many Montreal posters have done, is the equivalent of a middle age man convincing himself that he’s better off leaving his wife of 15 years to take up with a 22-year-old stripper because she flirted with him one day. It’s damn exciting, but ultimately it lacks substance.

Now, I didn't watch the group stage so I can't really comment on those games but the bolded part above seems to have become quite a trope that I cannot agree with AT ALL with regards to Wednesday night. Personally I thought the Impact played more attractive soccer than we've ever seen TFC pull off. They transitioned through midfield with remarkable consistency, found space, and Grande - versus a higher calibre opponent than TFC normally play - really showed his class in dictating the play. Maybe this was a spectacular one-off and will never be repeated but the argument that it wasn't pretty rings extremely hollow. Also, we haven't seen TFC 2009 yet but if Wednesday is an accurate reflection of the Impact 2009 there's no garuntee that they won't be slightly better than TFC this year.

Rudi, no disrespect intended but I think you're overstating Columbus' quality. Yes, they were better than TFC last year for sure - and they won when the chips were down - but they only managed to beat TFC once in three games... and if Colin Samuel didn't just stand around watching the ball even that could have been dramatically different. Everything in MLS is pretty tight and even bad teams like TFC 07 can still hold their own and look good on occasion. I suspect that the USL has a wider variance between the top and bottom. That would seem to make sense because it's the clubs not the league that sets the budgets and larger, well run clubs like Montreal must have stronger rosters than some of the fringe teams. So, while MLS has more quality throughout the whole league it isn't unreasonable to believe that top USL clubs would at least be competitive.

As for who was better last year? My opinion is that TFC was ever so slightly marginally better. We crapped the bed in pretty much EVERY NCC game, even the one we won, yet still felt like we "deserved" better results in at least two of them. That said, TFC was pretty consistent at crapping the bed for an awfully long stretch last year so maybe we shouldn't look at those performances as below par. Head-to-head my impression of the Impact was that they could definately hang with us but never dominate us. To pull numbers completely out of my ass I'd say that if TFC 08 and the Impact 08 played 10 games TFC would win comfortably in two, tightly in two, draw in four, and lose tightly in two. I find it hard to imagine, last year, the Impact ever winning comfortably in anything but the most flukey game.

This year? Like I said above I'm not sure. More generally though I'll repeat that if Wednesday night's (ridiculously small) sample (size) is accurate TFC 09 needs to improve over TFC 08 or I'd start to shade the Impact as better. We'll see in three months though.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Rudi, no disrespect intended but I think you're overstating Columbus' quality.

Am I though, Mike?

Sure, TFC played them tight, but they still took more points from the series than TFC. And they ran rampant through the league as a whole, continuing that form all the way to MLS Cup.

They won the double and deserved to do so. I don't think they'll be as dominant in 09 as they've lost their coach and the rest of the league has improved, but in 08 they were far and away the best team in MLS, IMO.

I'm not sure why the first post was so offensive. The blowing smoke up your a sses one was far more uncalled for IMO.

I care about the development of the game in this country and I think that the Impact need to be in MLS. Partly because I fear for the future of the USL – at least in its current form. So I don’t want people to be blinded by one win.

Convincing yourself that this run is evidence that the Impact are “better off” in USL, which many Montreal posters have done, is the equivalent of a middle age man convincing himself that he’s better off leaving his wife of 15 years to take up with a 22-year-old stripper because she flirted with him one day. It’s damn exciting, but ultimately it lacks substance.

The thread was started to acknowledge the good performances of USL teams in this year competition, not to discuss the merit of USL. That's why it was uncalled for....because you decided to highjack the thread to make your point.

Like I've said, I pretty much agree with your general point about MTL being better out of the USL but you just choose the wrong thread to make your point IMO.

Most Impact fans are all for Montreal in the MLS eventually. I don't beleive Saputo has "jeopardized Canadian soccer as a whole" by simply being patient and waiting to see if something more enticing can be worked out. I also don't buy that he has burned his bridges. The MLS would love to have this market, with our well-orgaized club and good fan support. They probably don't like Saputo personnaly. Fine. They're professionals not high school children.

Archived