The Success of the USL continues!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The thread was started to acknowledge the good performances of USL teams in this year competition, not to discuss the merit of USL. That's why it was uncalled for....because you decided to highjack the thread to make your point.

Like I've said, I pretty much agree with your general point about MTL being better out of the USL but you just choose the wrong thread to make your point IMO.

That was exactly my point also.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MastaK

Anyways, I'm proud of this team. So much Montrealers in it!

Someone I went to the match with brought an ex-pat Englishman with him who was stunned not only that we have so many Montrealers, but that 2 of them are key starters and another 2 good dangerous wingers. It was edifying to see how impressive that was to him. He wasn't aware people here even play. I'd say although there are many reasons I love the Impact that's one of the biggest.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

[Columbus] ran rampant through the league as a whole, continuing that form all the way to MLS Cup.

They won the double and deserved to do so. I don't think they'll be as dominant in 09 as they've lost their coach and the rest of the league has improved, but in 08 they were far and away the best team in MLS, IMO.

Rampant? I don't dispute that they were definately the best team - in fact, that's why I (mostly) didn't mind that they won MLS Cup - but I'm not sure it was as many orders of magnitude as you make it seem.

And, just to get back on topic: congratulations Montreal (and Puerto Rico). Your commitment to taking this competition seriously has done you and your league credit, improved your profile, and given Canada the best feel good story in the game since TFC's launch in 2007. I hope we kill you this year.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Rampant? I don't dispute that they were definately the best team - in fact, that's why I (mostly) didn't mind that they won MLS Cup - but I'm not sure it was as many orders of magnitude as you make it seem.

And, just to get back on topic: congratulations Montreal (and Puerto Rico). Your commitment to taking this competition seriously has done you and your league credit, improved your profile, and given Canada the best feel good story in the game since TFC's launch in 2007. I hope we kill you this year.

With Dero, Serioux and the Argentine, you probably don't need to hope. I feel TFC is hugely improved. That said hopefully we give you a run for your money.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Columbus's record was 17-7-6, they had the highest goals for and the second lowest goals against. They had four more wins than the second-best time, and they won their conference by 11 points.

Yes, they were rampant (as much they are a bunch of c*nts).

But enough of the threadjack. Montreal DOES deserve kudos for the run they've made. I just hope that it doesn't cloud our judgement of the USL as a whole.

In the Champions League 09/10. What do you want them to do, travel through time?

If your aunt had a willy, she'd be your uncle.

Add the unpredictability of Dwayne De Rosario and Pablo Vitti and the finishing of Chad Barrett, and TFC probably wins both games, and by a more convincing. See? I can play the "but if" game too.

I didn't say there was a huge difference, those are your words. I merely said there was a difference. Neutral observers on this boards have conceded that Toronto was the better side against both Montreal and Vancouver.

Again, you attributing your own words to me. Try reading my posts rather than jumping into some tirade against stuff that others have written.

You saw Toronto and wasn't impressed? No sh*t, they were one of the worst teams in MLS. You were the one comparing Montreal to the 'best' in MLS, which does not include TFC from 2008.

As for Houston, they played a decent game at home, just about as well as Montreal did.

Yes, that's my opinion, which you specifically asked me for when saying "you tell me."

Schelotto was the MVP of the entire league last year, and while he's a diving c*nt, he's not a hack. Hejduk started for the USA TWO WEEKS AGO versus Mexico in their World Cup Qualifier, not exactly low level competition.

The "rest" that you so easily brush off have international caps for countries like the US and Nigeria.

Regardless, most (if not all) of the players I listed would walk onto the Montreal starting XI that played on Wednesday night.

So you've read everything I've written at every soccer board, and overheard every conversation I've had on the topic? The Impact must feel proud to have an all-seeing mind such as yourself among its fanbase.

What "historical evidence" exists to suggest that they wouldn't?

Way to pay attention.

The rest of your post was far too bizarre to even quote, let alone respond to.

What I want to ask of everyone here chirping about the superiority of the Impact given the results of this tournament is as follows.

(Bear with me here)

The Impact have gotten results in the CCL, and that's great. Kudos to them (and I'm serious here). Now there are all of a sudden tons on Impact fans who are proclaiming Montreal to be far superior to Toronto, etc. A lot of it is trash talk that is to be expected given the rivalry that has grown from the games that were played last summer, but some of it is serious.

My question is, if the rest of us (TFC fans) are supposed to accept the results of the CCL as a demonstration of MTL's superiority over TFC, in doing so, do we simply ignore the only head-to-head results between the two teams, in which TFC came out on top?

This is something I've wanted to ask for a while, and I'm genuinely curious as to the responses I'll receive. How can we ignore the only actual competition between the two sides?

Just because your MOM likes to walk doesn't mean she's a street walker. Do you understand what I'm saying? Montreal Impact won the Canadian Championship cause they got the most points in the Tournement! More Importantly they walked into Your House, and walked away with the Trophy. Thats why we're better then You.

I don't think there's any question that as a whole, the USL is inferior to MLS.

But the beauty of USL, is that the owners have much more independence. There's nothing stopping any USL club from having the same player budget as a MLS franchise, or more. Saputo and Kerfoot could easily match the MLS player budget.

One example of this independence is Vancouver's system for player development, which can't be touched by anyone in North Amercica. BL stated himself that was a major concern with joining MLS.

Saputo could probably expand his stadium with near sell-out crowds regardless of whether he is in USL or MLS.

So when comparing leagues, USL clubs can not be painted by the same brush. The difference in player budgets is not as uniform as MLS.

And on that note, I would like to wish the Vancouver Whitecaps a happy 35th anniversary.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Just because your MOM likes to walk doesn't mean she's a street walker. Do you understand what I'm saying? Montreal Impact won the Canadian Championship cause they got the most points in the Tournement! More Importantly they walked into Your House, and walked away with the Trophy. Thats why we're better then You.

I await the response from someone with the emotional capacity higher than a 12 year old.

I await the response from someone with the emotional capacity higher than a 12 year old.

which team has the nutralite throphy?

the better organisation won.

toronto could nt beat team in the tournment

they thought they could beat

and montreal did.

tying toronto was all they needed n toronto could nt prvent them from doing so in their own backyard

mission accomplished

which team has the nutralite throphy?

the better organisation won.

toronto could nt beat team in the tournment

they thought they could beat

and montreal did.

tying toronto was all they needed n toronto could nt prvent them from doing so in their own backyard

mission accomplished

Enlighten yourself, and go to bed a tad less ignorant tonight. Read what your buddies from the Red Patch are saying;

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10183

The guy who routinely throws about bigoted insults and personal attacks on this board is telling me to enlighten myself?

Quite right.

As for that thread, I've posted in it, so obviously I know what they're saying. I'm not sure what that thread proves, however.

Whatever, I'm out until someone respectable responds to me.

The guy who routinely throws about bigoted insults and personal attacks on this board is telling me to enlighten myself?

Quite right.

As for that thread, I've posted in it, so obviously I know what they're saying. I'm not sure what that thread proves, however.

You really need someone to explain to you why Montreal is "vastly" superior to TFC? Simple, they aren't, never have been, and I've never claimed they are. No doubt some fanboys think so, but there are blindly passionate yahoos in every fanbase. Like TFC fans who think TFC is "vastly" superior to the Caps or Impact.

TFC has clearly got the edge bigtime on paper in terms of personnel for the upcoming season. You don't need me to explain to you that that doesn't necessarily translate into success, and it's normal for Impact fans to hope it doesn't, even though it probably will.

Quite right.

Thats right spoken like a true cow. Take your ball and go home, with your tail behind your legs.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I am confused.. Toronto plays in MLS, Montreal in USL, Montreal is the Canadian Champion so they are better then Toronto.

When did Montreal beat Toronto????? Nuff said. Toronto lost this tournament because they failed to beat Vancouver. But then again, you can argue and say half of TFC players (non-Canadian players mainly) weren't taking this tournament seriously.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

When did Montreal beat Toronto????? Nuff said. Toronto lost this tournament because they failed to beat Vancouver. But then again, you can argue and say half of TFC players (non-Canadian players mainly) weren't taking this tournament seriously.

So Vancouver is better then Toronto by that same logic?!! ;)

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Ah-ah-ah, blowhard, I didn't denigrate it, just called it minor league. I'm a fan of it, and in particular TFC who I have seen live and watch on TV. But it is not a Major League. I also follow Impact and Bristol Rovers. Calling the MLS a minor league is not to denigrate it.

On your other part, well, you're confusing me with someone else. I never said you haven't given credit to the Impact, actually I don't care who you do or don't give credit to because you don't matter to me.

This thread was about how well Impact and Islanders are doing in the CL. You couldn't let that pass and had to hijack the thread by" DENIGRATING" the USL. (see snide post with silly full stops after every word). If that doesn't show a bizarre agenda of anti-USL sentiment I don't know what does. Grow a pair and stop whining.

+1

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

That is a pathetic statement, if they weren't taking this tournament seriously, they are just a bunch of loser. If I were in a "better" league, I would do everything I can to prove that I'm the better player.

My question is, if the rest of us (TFC fans) are supposed to accept the results of the CCL as a demonstration of MTL's superiority over TFC, in doing so, do we simply ignore the only head-to-head results between the two teams, in which TFC came out on top?

Without a doubt Rudi, those results have to be ignored. Becuase if everyone says that TFC is better than Montreal based on those two results, then can't we also say that Vancouver is better than Toronto because of the 1-0 win and 2-2 draw?

Boro beat Liverpool today, are they automatically the better side?

Results have to be taken over a long period of time. The fact is that Montreal proved their superiority over the stretch of the Championship(albeit short, I agree) and therefore are the best team in Canada, no more questions to be asked, and they hold the right to declare themselves as such until the next winner is declared.

We can debate which team on paper is the best(to which I'll answer the Whitecaps, because I love them, and you'll say TFC, and Impact fans will say the Impact), and that is fun. But the fact is, that until the next winner is crowned, Montreal is the best team in Canada. I look forward to this years tournament!

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Did you guys enjoy Wed.? It must have been nice to have a lot of the city tuned into what was happening--looking at UM02 and taking its lead from you. That's what we in Toronto feel every week. Outside of occasional one-off games you will NEVER SEE THAT AGAIN in Montreal so long as you stay in the minor leagues.

Why make a statement like that? You have to realise some people would take offense to that.

Does your name MediaGuy mean that you actually work in mainstream media? If so, you never learned how to stay away from contentious statements?

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

There's a lot of jealousy in this thread.

(sigh)

Put the damn scoreboard out of your mind. I'm not jealous of the Impact. I'm envious of what you got to experience Wed., but that has nothing to do with this conversation.

I just don't want Montreal fans thinking that the USL is good enough for the Impact. It's not. The Impact should be in MLS because MLS would offer the club a far better opportunity to grow long term. Don't be blinded by one party. Demand more. So far it just seems to me that most of you believe that what's happening now will happen every year. The evidence suggests otherwise.

Archived