Dejan Jakovic signs with Red Star Belgrade

loyola

I think that news deserves it's own thread,

Thanks to Joe MacCarthy

Dejan Jakovic Signs With Serbia First Division Team

Former UAB star to play for Red Star Belgrade

June 30, 2008

http://uabsports.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/063008aaa.html

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Former UAB standout Dejan Jakovic has signed with Crvena Zvezda edit (Red Star) Belgrade of the Serbian First Division, announced head coach Mike Getman on Monday.

"This is a terrific opportunity for Dejan," Getman said. "I am very happy and excited for him to not only play for one of the top soccer clubs in Serbia, but one of the most successful franchises in all of Europe. He has worked really hard and is very deserving of this opportunity."

Jakovic will close out his career as one of the most decorated athletes to play for the UAB men's soccer program. Last season, he was tabbed to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) first-team All-Region. Jakovic, who was tabbed as a first-team all-region honoree in each of the last two years, is just the third UAB soccer two-time first-team recipient to be honored by the NSCAA. The Etobicoke, Ontario native is also one of eight players in UAB men's soccer history to have earned first-team all-region honors.

Despite battling injuries throughout the season, Jakovic finished the '07 campaign leading UAB in goals (6) and points (13). Jakovic showed the type of player he can be when healthy, as he paced the Blazers to a victory at then-No. 10 Indiana (Sept. 21). In that contest, Jakovic accounted for two goals en route to the 2-1 upset win over the Hoosiers.

Jakovic, who was one of 29 players selected to the preseason MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List, also earned a spot on the 2007 first-team All-Conference USA team, marking the second straight year he garnered a spot on the league's first team and the third time in three seasons he was tabbed All-C-USA (earned second team accolades as a freshman).

Jakovic gained international experience when he was selected to participate in the Canadian National Team training camp in mid-January, as the team attempted to qualify for the 2010 World Cup. He played in both of Canada's two contests.

He was later chosen to join the Canadian Olympic Team, where he started and played every minute of Canada's four contests, leading his team to a third-place result.

quote:Originally posted by Razcle

Not to soung like an idiot, but who is UAB?

I'm not sure but I'm gonna take a wild guess and seeing the article is from Birmingham, Alabama go with University of Alabama - Birmingham.

I could be wrong though.

Congrats to Dejan. I'll admit that I didn't even know who he was until recently, but he really impressed me during the Olympic qualifying tournament. Hopefully he gains some valuable experience and let's hope that he can crack their first team roster sooner rather than later.

MLS teams can't just simply sign a kid out of NCAA.

Any incoming NCAA player has to be drafted. The only way to sign a kid outside of the draft is to have them develop at the academy for two years.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I wonder if MJ even considered giving this kid a look. He's a Canadian Olympic team player and looked great in qualifying.

He's good enough for a powerhouse like Red Star, but not TFC ?

See Rudi answer. Also Dejan was a junior in college so not eligible for the MLS draft. We should also note that even last year there was rumours about him going to Belgrade. He doesn't sound like he was considering playing in the MLS.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

See Rudi answer. Also Dejan was a junior in college so not eligible for the MLS draft. We should also note that even last year there was rumours about him going to Belgrade. He doesn't sound like he was considering playing in the MLS.

I don't think that's true, anyone is eligible for the draft as long as they declare by a certain date.

There have been many underclassmen and teenagers that have been drafted by MLS sides over the years.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You will have to excuse my sarcasm.[}:)]

I doubt MJ would seriously consider anyone on the Canadian Olympic team, regardless how good they are.

You will have to excuse my sarcasm.[}:)]

I doubt MJ would seriously consider anyone on the Canadian Olympic team, regardless how good they are.

I like ripping into MoJo as much as the next guy, but you do realise that there were four TFC players on that Olympic roster, right? (Hemming, Rosenlund, Lombardo, Gala). And Monsalve was effectively a fifth.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I like ripping into MoJo as much as the next guy, but you do realise that there were four TFC players on that Olympic roster, right? (Hemming, Rosenlund, Lombardo, Gala). And Monsalve was effectively a fifth.

Yeah, how many were on the field tonight ? These guys need to play to develop. They need more than CPSL reserve games.

Why aren't they being loaned out to USL clubs for development ?

Hopefully everyone of them leave ASAP, or they can forget about making it as a pro.

Yeah, how many were on the field tonight ? These guys need to play to develop. They need more than CPSL reserve games.

Hopefully everyone of them leave ASAP, or they can forget about making it as a pro.

I realise this is 'Rip on TFC Day', something that I've been partaking in myself, so I'll try to answer your questions/comments individually and as rationally as possible.

The guys on the TFC roster don't play in the C(P)SL. They play either in the MLS or the MLS reserve league.

None of them were out there, and only John Carver can answer why. In my opinion, the 'older' guys on the reserves simply aren't good enough to displace the starters and get substantial minutes (save for Hemming).

The younger guys (Nana, Gala, Melo) are too young but are rated very highly by Carver, especially Gabe. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get some time during this hell month of July in which TFC has 11 games.

The simple answer to that is the limited number of roster spots, as well as the reserve league and fixture congestion.

It's very rare that any MLS team will loan out players to USL clubs (or any clubs), unless that player is disgruntled and on his way out anyways (like Guevara was at Chivas last year).

Even though the kids aren't getting playing time now, an injury bug or rash of suspensions could see any of them get called into action in short order. You don't want your player out in Minnesota or Charleston in that case. MLS clubs do not have EPL-sized rosters.

It's still WAY too early to be making blanket statements like that.

This is excellent news. Red Star Belgrade are considered by many to be the best team in the Balkans region along with Dinamo Zagreb. If Jakovic can make the 1st team at Red Star and enter into a few games, I expect within a couple years for Jakovic to be a contributing member to our mens national team. It is to see that more and more of our players making some of best club teams in Europe![8D]

This kid was awesome during the Olympic qualifying. I thought he brought us into attack from the backline really well, made some brilliant tackles, and rarely seemed to get caught out. I would be interested to see what he is like in a midfield role. Best of luck!

I think he is a defensive midfielder as he has good control and ball skills.

Good luck to him. I don't know much about the Serbian league other than Red Star and Partizan. Will this league be good enough to get him onto the men's team?

Archived