Gerba released by FC Ingolstadt

Grizzly

The bad news at the club level doesn't seem to end for Gerba. The following article from Kicker states:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/startseite/artikel/207419/

Keine Rolle mehr wird der Kanadier Ali Gerba (26) spielen. Der Vertrag des Nationalspielers wird nicht verlängert. Gärtner: "Die Entscheidung ist uns schwer gefallen, aber wir suchen einen anderen Stürmertyp."

The Canadian Ali Gerba will no longer play a role (with the club). The contract of the Canadian international was not extended. Gartner (FCI Sports Director) "The decision was very difficult to make but we are searching for a different type of striker."

The decision probably has something to do with Ingolstadt signing former Czech international striker Vratislav Lokvenc from C Basel. Gerba scored 4 goals in 15 games with Ingolstadt this year.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TFC should have picked him up in the beginning. He's too streaky to be with pro team in europe and too easy to cut. They've got 15 guys who can do the same job at all times. He slips up....he's gone. MLS will give him a consistent platform to ply his trade.

Too bad. Obviously they are rebuilding for a push in the B2 (very ambitious club, only formed 4 years ago). Gerba was effective in his short stint, starting in many of those 15 games and being a big part of the promotion effort. Hopefully he caught the eye of some other clubs. Bundesliga 2 would be great for him. I feel that his club career and national team career vary so greatly because he is the type of player that has a hard time getting engaged unless the level and stakes are high. His national team play still leads me to believe that he is striker #2 on our depth chart (that may change when I see Simpson in that role).

And he would be daft to sign for TFC at this point.

I could be wrong, but if he has a Cameroon passport I think he qualifies to play in France without taking up a foreign spot. If I was his agent I would try the bigger sides in Ligue 2 if this is the case. He seems like a French style striker to me. Though I don't think TFC would be a step down. He could actually be very successful in their current set up.

Agreed, ED. Much as I would love to see him at BMO for my own enjoyment he has the ability to play ta much higher level than TFC right now.

I think Germany is a good match for his game and having seen the success of Simpson, Friend, McKenna, etc... I don't think that B2 is beyond his reach by any means.

He has excellent work-rate. Good finishing record for Canada. But his size limits his role as a our "centre-forward" simply because he doesn't have the imposing presence of a Friend or Occean, which I would aru\gue is necessary in a 4-5-1.

Hopefully another good showing in MTL can help his cause in Europe.

I think there is a club out there that is going to find a gem when he can be comfortable and given some time. Hopefully he sticks on somewhere we he can play at a high level, or I could see him playing for TFC and trading Cunningham and letting him fill that role, would be nice to have some more Canadian content.

I don't know that it would really take that much $$$ to get him back. Unless he gets an offer from a B2 or similar club. I can't imagine he made too much in Sweden or Denmark. Maybe 2,000 Euro a week? That's only what, 150K? If you release Cunningham you're saving a few bucks overall. Who knows, you might be able to spend it getting Hoilet on loan from Blackburn. The roster restrictions may be generous in 2008, but eventually TFC needs to field more Canadians. It's especially attractive if you can field a domestic striker because these are the guys who usually come with the transfer fees and big salaries. Avoiding these means you can search for much better value at the back as defenders are usually cheaper. Imagine Mo actually having the chops to bring in a young, cultured Brasilian or Portugese centre back? Anyway, it would seem like an excellent opportunity to nab a Canadian striker who is only 26 on a free transfer -assuming my salary expectations are correct.

Why would there be any controversy if he scores and plays well? If he doesn't score and play well he won't play regardless of his club situation. It's not like Occean is playing in the EPL.

I don't agree with Ed that TFC would be a step backwards. I think the level of MLS is similar to that of the 2nd Bundesliga. While the exposure might be better staying in Europe I think the most important thing for Gerba is to find a team at this playing level where he is going to play regularly and where he can establish himself as a proficient striker. His biggest problem in recent years is that he hasn't been getting steady time on the field to show what he can do.

I'm a bit sceptic about Ali and I'm under the impression that he's the principal benificiary of that talented midfield that we have since the 2007 GC. Ali has gotten a lot of playing time in the last year but I would've like to see what Friend and OO would've done in his place. I'm pretty sure they would be scoring as well. Also, I don't want to diminish his week end game but I'm not sure we should be that impress with those 2 goals because in the group stage we'll need someone who's proven he can score at a better level than SVG. For me, that would be Friend or Occean.

Yes OO isn't in the EPL but he's arguably our striker playing at the highest level right now (Friend will be next season in B1) and has done a good job at scoring at that level. IMO, Mitchell should've given him a full 90 at some point instead of giving him 20 or 30 minutes as a sub.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm a bit sceptic about Ali and I'm under the impression that he's the principal benificiary of that talented midfield that we have since the 2007 GC.

Hey, part of being an effective striker is making lemonade when life gives you lemons. He has 7 goals in 17 matches. Olivier has 2 in 15 matches. What striker isn't the principal beneficiary of a talented midfield? That's what strikers do. Profit from the work of the midfield.

I wouldn't be upset if Ali were dropped in favour of Occean. But don't go slagging the guy's strike rate. Was the midfield crap everytime Olivier took to the field?

Honestly, if Friend is injured, I wouldn't mind seeing what these two guys could do together. My understanding is that they're good friends off the pitch.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Why would there be any controversy if he scores and plays well? If he doesn't score and play well he won't play regardless of his club situation. It's not like Occean is playing in the EPL.

I don't agree with Ed that TFC would be a step backwards. I think the level of MLS is similar to that of the 2nd Bundesliga.

The training staff in most european leagues is so vastly superior for developing mentality and technical skill that I might think it better to stay with one of the better staffed teams then play half the time for TFC. I think Julian is the best example of this, you can see the composure and intelligent play and technical skill oozing out of him (especially since going to depor) whereas before it was alot more raw creativity and wide intelligent vision. as far as I can tell no MLS player has stepped onto a euro league already developed to the top levels.

but I agree that gerba should continue to get time regardless of his club situation, he's performing and getting results (for sure our #2 IMO). situation reminds me of corrazin

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Hey, part of being an effective striker is making lemonade when life gives you lemons. He has 7 goals in 17 matches. Olivier has 2 in 15 matches. What striker isn't the principal beneficiary of a talented midfield? That's what strikers do. Profit from the work of the midfield.

I wouldn't be upset if Ali were dropped in favour of Occean. But don't go slagging the guy's strike rate. Was the midfield crap everytime Olivier took to the field?

Honestly, if Friend is injured, I wouldn't mind seeing what these two guys could do together. My understanding is that they're good friends off the pitch.

Yes, they are good friends indeed and I wasn't the one suggesting problems between those 2.

The point i'm making about the midfield is that OO played a lot of his games in 2004-2005 when he was a youngster with almost no pro experience and our midfield wasn't that great. I remember Leduc starting there in 2005. Since then he played 4 times (12 of his 16 caps happenned in 2004/2005) for us and only once as a starter. By that time he has always continue to score at a good rate for his club.

Make no mistake, I'm glad Ali is scoring, but i'm also wondering if the level of his club is an indication of his true level of play. Could he be facing difficulties against better opposition? It's like saying Onstad should be our starter because of clean sheets against Belize or SVG. We knew we would be scoring goals against SVG and I,m pretty sure any of our striker would've score at some point against that weak opposition.

My overall point is about not putting our eggs in the same basket with Ali who I feel could be facing some difficulties against mexico, Honduras and Jamaica. I'm only suggesting that Friend or OO level of club play indicate that they would maybe better suited for that kind of opposition compare to Ali.

Don't get me wrong, I'm cheering for Ali to score 4 in MTL on Friday.

Ali has earned his spot on our 18 man roster. His strike rate is unmatched by ANYONE. He thrives against 'better opposition'. OO's level of play is nothing to crow about. If he moves on from Norway, talk about it again. end of debate.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

The training staff in most european leagues is so vastly superior for developing mentality and technical skill that I might think it better to stay with one of the better staffed teams then play half the time for TFC. I think Julian is the best example of this, you can see the composure and intelligent play and technical skill oozing out of him (especially since going to depor) whereas before it was alot more raw creativity and wide intelligent vision. as far as I can tell no MLS player has stepped onto a euro league already developed to the top levels.

but I agree that gerba should continue to get time regardless of his club situation, he's performing and getting results (for sure our #2 IMO). situation reminds me of corrazin

The training staff in most Euro leagues is not better than in MLS, it is only better in the top Euro leagues. There are a lot of crap and mediocre leagues in Europe and a lot of crap and mediocre training systems and I think I could probably name a few that some of our players have played in without developing. Just to take one example, Pellerud was a pretty sucessful coach in the Norwegian first division and I think we would all agree his quality is far below that of the current TFC staff. TFC has a good coach in Carver and some pretty good guys in the rest of the coaching staff. I doubt Gerba has had a superior coaching staff in his Euro career to date though I will admit to not checking exactly who he has been coached by. Plus Gerba is no longer a youth player who needs a lot of development, what he needs is playing time. If Gerba gets offered a contract by say a 1st division Dutch club then I am all for him staying but I think MLS is probably pretty competitive on most fronts with the type of teams that will be interested in him as long as they are willing to offer him a decent salary.

Regarding OO, as far as I am concerned Gerba has the #2 spot behind Friend as long as he keeps scoring. He was with the team when that was determined and OO was not. Whether Gerba will stop scoring against better competition and/or whether Occean could score more is complete speculation. As long as Gerba keeps scoring he keeps his spot. If he is unable to score in the next round then OO is the next logical guy to try. Occean did get 90 minutes under Mitchell against Bermuda and before that under Hart he got 2 90 minute games at the Gold Cup with our superior midfield. He has played poorly this year until his last game in which he scored twice. There is little about Occean's play for the national team that inspires me to start him but if noone else is scoring he deserves a chance. McKenna has 9 goals in 37 games most of which he played as a defender so there would be a good argument to start McKenna over Occean who has only 2 in 16. Occean is similar as a player to Gerba in that when he is not scoring he is not that useful unlike Friend or Radzinski who have other aspects to their game.

I actually think Gerba is the better striker of him, Friend and Ocean.

The latter two are target type guys who can't really score. Gerba is a natural poacher who is a better fit with the new total footbal midfield. The other two will only encourage Mitchell and Co's long ball tendencies.

quote:Originally posted by bingham

The latter two are target type guys who can't really score. Gerba is a natural poacher who is a better fit with the new total footbal midfield. The other two will only encourage Mitchell and Co's long ball tendencies.

I think quite a few Monchengladbach fans would disagree with you about whether Friend can score.

quote:Originally posted by bingham

Bull****.

Watching the match today, I didn't realise Luca Toni was four years older than Friend. Obviously, I'm not comparing them directly, but big strikers do seem to take awhile to come into their own. I could be wrong, but I think 4 years ago Toni was just starting to make his name for Palermo and getting his first caps for Italy. Friend could really get on a tear and start dominating against CONCACAF the way Toni has been giving the French defenders fits. Hopefully he's ok and it starts Friday.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm a bit sceptic about Ali and I'm under the impression that he's the principal benificiary of that talented midfield that we have since the 2007 GC. Ali has gotten a lot of playing time in the last year but I would've like to see what Friend and OO would've done in his place. I'm pretty sure they would be scoring as well. Also, I don't want to diminish his week end game but I'm not sure we should be that impress with those 2 goals because in the group stage we'll need someone who's proven he can score at a better level than SVG. For me, that would be Friend or Occean.

I would agree completely!!. The goals that I recall were the result of some terrific build up and superb play by the MF. What i also recalled is that he squandered some great chances.

Many of us have seen have him in the USL. A good to decent forward in the USL. In fact one of the better ones the Lynx had. But the lynx never had many greater goal scorers to begin with and no one could honestly say tore up the USL.

As far as a national team, you need to consider that at some point we wont be facing the likes of St Vincent & the Grenadines and does he bring the pedigree at that position that our rivals such as Honduras have? His club career has not necessarily be stable and progressive.

Were it not for the RADZ injury my solution would have been to move Radz at fwd and have Brennan take his current spot. Going into qualify with Gerba at fwd makes me very nervous. Imagine, we go with Gerba at fwd, and Honduras counters with David Suazo, whose got the advantage? In this region, moreso now than 15-20 years ago, it so important to have quality at that position that you cannot have doubts. And, moreso than say UEFA, teams that can score advance, those that cant go home early.

Archived