Gerba released by FC Ingolstadt

Grizzly

Getting back to the topic, I think MLS is what Gerba needs right now. Not even being wanted at a B2 camp after helping them get promoted does not look good on the resume. I'm sure there are Euro options for him, but I'm guessing they are back in Scandanavia. I think he's been there, done that.

Jason

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope the San Jose thing pans out, especially if Yallop uses him regularly. I would like to see a "domestically based" striker in our mix, especially someone still in mid-season, whereas Friend, Occean, Hume, Simpson or any other Euro based options are all in early season and may not be at their peak come August 20th. Not sure if that matters, but it's something worth considering.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Getting back to the topic, I think MLS is what Gerba needs right now. Not even being wanted at a B2 camp after helping them get promoted does not look good on the resume. I'm sure there are Euro options for him, but I'm guessing they are back in Scandanavia. I think he's been there, done that.

Jason

Its interesting that Gerba is often being mentioned as player that should be acquired by TFC. But he available to the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps to pickup as well. So why should it be TFC who has to team who has to find employment for every unattached or released canadian player.

So why aren't the the Impact and Whitecaps looking at him?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

As written, then the Guatemala NT captain Gustavo Adolfo Cabrera (go look him up at wiki) it to start out playing for the AGF 2nd team in the Danish 2nd division (3rd level) this season.... They do have Carlos Ruíz doing well in the MLS, but Guatemala has hardly had any players at top-flight level in Europe in the past and Cabrera is the only one who atleast has a chance of getting to play top-flight games in Europe this season... So you tell me why I should think Guatemala is on pair with lets say Liechtenstein that got 3 players in the Swiss League, one in Portugal and Mario Frick who has played 60 Italian Serie A games the past two season.. Though Liechtenstein is a European minnow, they were able to get 1 point out of Portugal in the last WC qualifiers, while I remember the Guatemala NT being trashed 4-1 in a pre-season friendly in the US by danish Superliga side Viborg FF some years ago.. You cant really blame me for this to be facts.

Gustavo Cabrera may be able to do well in Europe and pave the way for other players from his country, but that still remains to be seen..

quote:Originally posted by Ceres

As written, then the Guatemala NT captain Gustavo Adolfo Cabrera (go look him up at wiki) it to start out playing for the AGF 2nd team in the Danish 2nd division (3rd level) this season.... They do have Carlos Ruíz doing well in the MLS, but Guatemala has hardly had any players at top-flight level in Europe in the past and Cabrera is the only one who atleast has a chance of getting to play top-flight games in Europe this season... So you tell me why I should think Guatemala is on pair with lets say Liechtenstein that got 3 players in the Swiss League, one in Portugal and Mario Frick who has played 60 Italian Serie A games the past two season.. Though Liechtenstein is a European minnow, they were able to get 1 point out of Portugal in the last WC qualifiers, while I remember the Guatemala NT being trashed 4-1 in a pre-season friendly in the US by danish Superliga side Viborg FF some years ago.. You cant really blame me for this to be facts.

And I think this is why your attitude is putting off a lot of posters. Playing in Europe does not necessarily mean you are a good player.

As has already been pointed out here, it is generally easier for a native European to play in Europe (passport, exposure etc.).

And picking and choosing what results you give as examples is a specious way of debating, because I can say that on October 17, 2007, Guatemala beat Mexico 3-2 (according to Fifa.com)

Once again you are playing with and misinterpreting the facts. Liechtenstein's does not have a league of their own and their domestic league is the Swiss league and in fact they have very few players in the top division of that league considering that. Giving them credit for having players in the Swiss league is like giving Denmark credit for having players in the Danish league. Considering Liechtenstein is located in Europe and the players have Euro passports it is not surprising that some would play in European leagues. The fact that despite this incredible advantage over teams like Guatemala only two players from Lichtenstein play in a non-domestic league is proof of how poor the Lichtenstein team is. All of the players in North America have a huge disadvantage from Europeans in regards to playing in Europe. They are not scouted as heavily and they have problems with work permits which is also a problem for prospective clubs. This is the reason that MLS can still have good quality players at a low salary level because an average player in MLS doesn't have a choice to play anywhere else. Since European teams have to go through a lot of bother to sign non-Euro players and get them work permits they are only interested in the very top players. If American players were ever given domestic status in Europe, there would be far more of them playing in Europe and MLS would have to significantly raise salaries to compete (it is clear that MLS does indeed pay the top players well, ie. the ones European clubs are currently interested in). Newflash for Ceres: playing in European leagues is not the determining factor on the quality of a team or player. The fact that Lictenstein can take a point from Portugal really doesn't support your argument that Europe is the end all and be all of soccer.

Since you are fond of interpreting single results as overall indicators of quality, I would think you would have more respect for North American soccer considering some of Denmark's past results against such teams. In Denmark's 2007 tour of North America you lost 3-1 to the US (with their MLS players), tied Honduras 1-1 and lost to El Salvador 1-0 (a CONCACAF team well below the level of Guatemala). I am sure your excuses will follow but as you say: You cant really blame me for this to be facts.

As far as your claim that I want you to leave/get banned from the site, you have as much right to post here as anyone else whether or not your posts make any sense. However, even though this site is lightly moderated there are rules here. This section is for posts on the Canada national team and if you are going to post here you should keep your comments to how the players in Denmark are performing and not go into what your opinion is of various other leagues compared to the Danish one. If you want to continue discussing the Danish league than you should open a thread on that topic in the World Soccer section of this forum.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Agree, I've never seen much disrespect in Ceres posts, can't see what the problem is. Maybe his views are too pro-Danish but we certainly can't blame him when we look at the historic of this forum...

This is my observation as well, and that his "pro-Danish" posts only come in response to some wag on this board taking a shot at the Danish league or teams. Which is why I said something.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I've agreed with you on a lot of things in the past Gordon but what is unfair and unreflective is your above comments. Ceres is an agenda poster and has been since he posted here. His main reason for being on the forum seems to be to try and convince us that the Danish league is far better than anyone including Europeans rates it.

I usually agree with you too Grizzly, but I think you are on the wrong path here. I've never found Ceres to be offensive.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

This is my observation as well, and that his "pro-Danish" posts only come in response to some wag on this board taking a shot at the Danish league or teams. Which is why I said something.

No, maybe you guys haven't read the post in the same manner as I did. If he's comparing the minnows of Europe ( Faroes Islands, Lux etc)to Guatemala than what does that say about what he thinks about our national side or our players? Need we remind you that Guatemala beat us and advanced out of our group and that Guatemala should have actually grabbed that fourth spot in WCQ. We have a lot of minnows in Concacaf, he could have chosen anyone of 20-25, but he mentioned Guatemala. In that light, what does that say and can we still take serious what he has to offer up regarding Canadians in Denmark? Almost a colonist attitude along the lines of " we are doing you a favour by allowing your players over here".

Its pure Euro snobbery and similar to the occasional attitudes of exaggeration in the way the game is denigrated here by some Europeans. Like the Brits who compared our top circuits to conference level. Yes, we ( myself included) like over analyze our game, clubs and level of play here. But at the same time do you not take any pride in what we do and accomplish here in soccer as Canadians? If I felt that way about our Concacaf, clubs soccer in Canada and our players, I wouldn't bother following the sport and limit my exposure to Saturday and Sunday viewing.

No, maybe you guys haven't read the post in the same manner as I did. If he's comparing the minnows of Europe ( Faroes Islands, Lux etc)to Guatemala than what does that say about what he thinks about our national side or our players? Need we remind you that Guatemala beat us and advanced out of our group and that Guatemala should have actually grabbed that fourth spot in WCQ. We have a lot of minnows in Concacaf, he could have chose anyone of 20-25 but he mentioned Guatemala. In that light, what does that say and do or can we take serious what he has to offer up regarding Canadians in Denmark?

Its pure EUro snobbery and similar to the occasional attitudes of exaggeration in the way the game is denigrated here by some europeans. Like the Brits who compared our top circuits to conference level. Yes, we ( myself included) like over analyze our game clubs and level of play here. But at the same time do you not take any pride in what we do here in soccer as Canadians?

Well, I saw anything wrong with Ceres before he compared Guatemala to Luxembourg or other euro minnows. I don't think his view is accurate on that one but that could be put in the CONCACAF level of play ignorance. As for his evaluation of the danish league, I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying. One of our poster here said recently that Bundesliga 2 was the best Division 2 league in Europe, it went without notice, no one argued (at least we have a little debate here about the quality of this league where we have a lot of canadians). So, I have nothing against someone who comes here and try to demonstrate that the Danish League is better than what we're thinking. I'm all right with that.

No, maybe you guys haven't read the post in the same manner as I did. If he's comparing the minnows of Europe ( Faroes Islands, Lux etc)to Guatemala than what does that say about what he thinks about our national side or our players? Need we remind you that Guatemala beat us and advanced out of our group and that Guatemala should have actually grabbed that fourth spot in WCQ. We have a lot of minnows in Concacaf, he could have chose anyone of 20-25 but he mentioned Guatemala. In that light, what does that say and do or can we take serious what he has to offer up regarding Canadians in Denmark?

Its pure EUro snobbery and similar to the occasional attitudes of exaggeration in the way the game is denigrated here by some europeans. Like the Brits who compared our top circuits to conference level. Yes, we ( myself included) like over analyze our game clubs and level of play here. But at the same time do you not take any pride in what we do here in soccer as Canadians?

Well, I saw anything wrong with Ceres before he compared Guatemala to Luxembourg or other euro minnows. I don't think his view is accurate on that one but that could be put in the CONCACAF level of play ignorance. As for his evaluation of the danish league, I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying. One of our poster here said recently that Bundesliga 2 was the best Division 2 league in Europe, it went without notice, no one argued (at least we have a little debate here about the quality of this league where we have a lot of canadians). So, I have nothing against someone who comes here and try to demonstrate that the Danish League is better than what we're thinking. I'm all right with that.

If he had left it at that, I too would have absolutely no qualms with his views.

Actauly I quite like the Danish national teams and agree that they produce and have produced some great players. in 86 WC, they became one of my favorites as a neutral

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Jason

I'm not "sure there are Euro options for him", unless you think they're all idiots over there who haven't yet seen enough of his act and can't recognize a pattern of failure (five clubs in what--two, three years?). I don't care if he ends up in the MLS as a last resort, as long as it isn't Toronto--they've got enough headcases and players with bad attitudes already.

No issues with Ceres, though his knowledge of CONCACAF and the quality of football in the region--club or national level--is dubious at best.

No issue with Ceres or the Danes, just as long as they keep their hands off of Canadian islands. Wouldn't that be a war? Canada v. Denmark in the frigid north? We'll bring the bacon, maple syrup and screech--they can bring the sandwiches.[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Ceres

So you tell me why I should think Guatemala is on pair with lets say Liechtenstein that got 3 players in the Swiss League, one in Portugal and Mario Frick who has played 60 Italian Serie A games the past two season..

DOn't ake my word for it - FIFA ranks Guatemala 50+ places ahead of Lichenstein. One or two players don't make them a better side...look at George Weah on Libera, Best on N.Ireland, Giggs on Wales etc.... plenty of exceptions ot the rule.

Like was pointed out, Guatemala beat Mexico last year.

You're also assuming the be-al-and-end-all of soccer is Europe. For many Spanish speaking players it's not always - they could just as easily play in South America, or Mexico.

I can't believe you actually think LICHENSTEIN is ahead of Guatemala, despite the fact that Guatemala ranks higher than Austria, never mind their near neighbor minnows. Sure, most Guatemalans stay at home, they're not travlled well that's for sure as the number to flame out in MLS proves, but others, such as Dwight Pezzarossi have played in Spain and was on the books at Bolton when I was at university there.

But although Guatemala is a nation on the rise, they're not without history...they won the Gold Cup in the 1960's and were twice runner up, in what is the N.American equivalent of the European Championship's/ How many continential titles does San Marino, Luxembourg or Litchenstein have under it's belt? Right.

Since the 1960's, Guatemalan teams have been in the final of the continent's top competition (CONCACAF Champion's CUp) a total of 6 times, with 2 winners.

They're ranking has suffered a little lately (since they were revised), but in 2000 they were ranked #56, and repeated that in 2005 before dropping off to the #100.

Just for fun I took a look at Liechtenstein run in the 2006 WC qualifications and they have some interesting results, a 2-2 draw with Portugal, 0-0 with Slovakia and 2 wins (3-0 and 4-0) against mighthy Luxembourg that Canada only beat 1-0 at that time in a friendly.

Of course, Liechtenstein had a terrible Euro 2008 qualifications campaign but still, they did look competitive (except a 7-0 loss to Slovakia) in their qualifications for Germany 2006. Would Guatemala have done better in that group? I'm not sure....

[

Of course, Liechtenstein had a terrible Euro 2008 qualifications campaign but still, they did look competitive (except a 7-0 loss to Slovakia) in their qualifications for Germany 2006. Would Guatemala have done better in that group? I'm not sure....

Yeah, I could see Guatemala - a real contender to qualify from CONCACAF for 2010 getting stuff 7:0? Puhleeeze.

The thing about the Litchenstein national team is about 90% of their players are Swiss born. Do you really think with 35k population they've got a competitive player pool? Sort of irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure that Guatemala would beat the minnows. Remeber Canada only lost by 1 goal to Brazil, you can't always apply random results against one another. Unless it's a comeptitive tournament it's just not a realistic measure.

quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

Yeah, I could see Guatemala - a real contender to qualify from CONCACAF for 2010 getting stuff 7:0? Puhleeeze.

The thing about the Litchenstein national team is about 90% of their players are Swiss born. Do you really think with 35k population they've got a competitive player pool? Sort of irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure that Guatemala would beat the minnows. Remeber Canada only lost by 1 goal to Brazil, you can't always apply random results against one another. Unless it's a comeptitive tournament it's just not a realistic measure.

Well, that 2-2 versus Portugal in real competition is pretty impressive IMO. My point isn't that Litchenstein is better than Guatemala but that I can't really see Guatemala doing much better than Litchenstein in that same group. They were competitive in all their games except one, so the freak result isn't the 2-2 with Portugal but the 7-0 against Slovakia over tha 2 years period.

Maybe Ceres is underestimating Guatemala and CONCACAF but I think we (on this site) have an history of underestimating europeans minnows like Luxembourg, Iceland and Estonia as recent examples.

Maybe Ceres is underestimating Guatemala and CONCACAF but I think we (on this site) have an history of underestimating europeans minnows like Luxembourg, Iceland and Estonia as recent examples.

Agreed. [though, most of the time we pretty much agree that the quality in our conference is rather poor]

According to the latest rant on BigSoccer.com, it now appears that Frank Yallop is close of signing 3 new players of which one of them includes midfielder Francisco Lima of Brazil. It's quite possible that Ali Gerba may probably be one of the other 2 players. Once again, this is the latest rumours coming-out of San Jose...

No, maybe you guys haven't read the post in the same manner as I did. If he's comparing the minnows of Europe ( Faroes Islands, Lux etc)to Guatemala than what does that say about what he thinks about our national side or our players? Need we remind you that Guatemala beat us and advanced out of our group and that Guatemala should have actually grabbed that fourth spot in WCQ. We have a lot of minnows in Concacaf, he could have chosen anyone of 20-25, but he mentioned Guatemala. In that light, what does that say and can we still take serious what he has to offer up regarding Canadians in Denmark? Almost a colonist attitude along the lines of " we are doing you a favour by allowing your players over here".

Its pure Euro snobbery and similar to the occasional attitudes of exaggeration in the way the game is denigrated here by some Europeans. Like the Brits who compared our top circuits to conference level. Yes, we ( myself included) like over analyze our game, clubs and level of play here. But at the same time do you not take any pride in what we do and accomplish here in soccer as Canadians? If I felt that way about our Concacaf, clubs soccer in Canada and our players, I wouldn't bother following the sport and limit my exposure to Saturday and Sunday viewing.

Personally, I think you are extrapolating a lot from that comparison Free kick. Probably a lot more than was intended. Just my opinion. But even if he did mean all that, I see a lot worse on a daily basis from the many schmo's on Big Soccer, who actually live in our Confederation and post the most absurd statements in all seriousness.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Gerba already played for Montreal three separate times so I think DeSantis and Saputo are pretty aware of what he can do. I think they would sign him in a heartbeat for either USL or MLS if he were amenable (doubt he would want to return to USL).

Seems he might finish the season with Montreal. Would help him stay fit for the WCQ games.

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/255377.html

Archived