Canada v St. V and the G's match thread

Stuart

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

Jason,

i agree with Andrea Lombardo, but Still our depth chart for strikers is fine if Lombardo is our 7th striker

Friend,Radz,Gerba,Occean,Hume,Will Johnson,Lombardo

I'm sure you have Lomabardo on the list because you are from Toronto. Have you seen Jason Jordan play? Lombardo would probably be behind even him.

The only worry now are all these injuries now.

JDG a bit injured after a friendly & the two injuries today. Might be better to just rest anyone who seems close to injured or actually injured and try to take it a bit easier in Montreal, to ensure that the squad is somewhat healthy for the 2nd round.

I'd like to have Friend (if available) and de Guzman start on the bench to come on if we needed them. Let Gerba and Bernier have the start; with a 3-0 lead we can afford to play around a little bit, but we'd better make sure they're still available.

I love how fickle we all are.

A 0-3 result away in the heat on what could very easily have been a crappy pitch (but I wouldn't know as like the rest of you I couldn't actually "see" the match) to a side we were unfamiliar with and who were basically playing their world cup today is not at all bad. And having listened to almost the whole match on Star FM I wouldn't say there was much that could be discerned from their commentary. For this round it's basically job done, I agree let's worry about what comes next...

From CBC sports:

http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/abc/News/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CBC-SPORTS-V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=canada-world-cup-report

Canada takes 1st step towards WC

CBC Sports

Canada earned an important 3-0 road victory over St. Vincent and the Grenadines Sunday afternoon in its first qualifying game for the 2010 World Cup.

Ali Gerba scored a pair and Issey Nakijmia-Farran added a single marker for Canada in the opening contest of its two-game playoff series against the Caribbean island nation.

Gerba came on as a substitute for the injured Rob Friend after only seven minutes.

The teams meet again in the second leg on June 20 in Montreal. The winner of the series advances to the semifinal round of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Canada, ranked 60th in the current FIFA world rankings can win the playoff and advance to the semifinals with a tie against 147th ranked St. Vincent and the Grenadines in Montreal.

Canada can also lose by less than three goals in the next game and still move on to the next round.

Canada's only previous World Cup appearance came in 1986 in Mexico.

please, no mentions about calling up u20 or u23 players anymore. None of them dominates at their age level. Plus, this is WCQ - a different beast.

Inexperienced players that aren't a special talent aren't the way to go. They'll be eaten alive playing in Honduras & Mexico. This is no time to see if players with potential can cut it. We need to know beforehand.

quote:Originally posted by Most Scottish Man in Cdn.

I love how fickle we all are.

A 0-3 result away in the heat on what could very easily have been a crappy pitch (but I wouldn't know as like the rest of you I couldn't actually "see" the match) to a side we were unfamiliar with and who were basically playing their world cup today is not at all bad. And having listened to almost the whole match on Star FM I wouldn't say there was much that could be discerned from their commentary. For this round it's basically job done, I agree let's worry about what comes next...

Most of us who have been supporting this team for over 2 decades know not to take anything for granted. But you are right. anytime you go home up 3 nil against anyone is great.

I was a kid when we qualified in 85 and I thought, right here we go every World Cup from here on out and then went through the hell of missing five in a row (hello Fernando Aguiar...you !%@%@*@). So I'm fully prepared. I just think it's funny that two minutes in to commentary by guys who don't have a proper game sheet and people here are convinced SVG is going to put one over on us.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Most of us who have been supporting this team for over 2 decades know not to take anything for granted. But you are right. anytime you go home up 3 nil against anyone is great.

I agree, this was a good result for Canada. Costa Rica could only manage a draw against Grenada, and T&T lost at home to Bermuda. Even Mexico didn't dominate, winning only 2-0 against Belize, a team that is ranked much lower than St.V&G. Looking at these and other results from CONCACAF, I'd say we got a fairly good result on the road.

By the way do we actually know the extent of these various injuries today? I was in and out of the second half broadcast and didn't catch the details, the few there likely were. I guess what I'm getting at is beyond who may or may not be good to go Friday will the next round actually be affected by this? I.e. leave your passport at home Lombardo...

quote:Originally posted by red card

please, no mentions about calling up u20 or u23 players anymore. None of them dominates at their age level. Plus, this is WCQ - a different beast.

Inexperienced players that aren't a special talent aren't the way to go. They'll be eaten alive playing in Honduras & Mexico. This is no time to see if players with potential can cut it. We need to know beforehand.

Agreed. We seem to have a fascination with youth players who haven't proven anything from an athletic or technical standpoint. We are not in 1997 here. You are supposed to field your best players for your national team when in WCQ. That mean players who can keep up with the opposition, can make a impact on a game and demonstarted that they can do it level in as high a competitive level as possible.

LOMBARDO?

Are you guys serious? I doubt he will ever earn a 1st team cap for Canada. Guys like Ornoch and Edgar must get their first caps before he does at least.

On the topic of striker depth, use Issey he has always been a strong scorer in Denmark, Occean a strong scorer in Norway and Hume a strong scorer in the CCC. Other strikers we could use include Josh Simpson who was strong this season. Gbeke, Jackson, O'Neill, Elliot, Placcentino are some who could be EMERGENCY backups BUT are still ahead of Lombardo

Also don't forget David Hoillet if he accepts a call

Potential strikers we should stick with:

Friend, Radzinski, Nakajima-Farran, Hume, Gerba, Hutchinson, De Rosario, Occean, Simpson, McKenna to start with.

All have played striker for their clubs and could fill in, even if some are naturally middies or defenders they are still better than Lombardo or some USL options.

Now would be a great time to cap tie David Hoillet. We are up 3-0 and can cap tie him in Montreal

quote: Originally posted by red card

Agreed. We seem to have a fascination with youth players who haven't proven anything from an athletic or technical standpoint. We are not in 1997 here. You are supposed to field your best players for your national team when in WCQ. That mean players who can keep up with the opposition, can make a impact on a game and demonstarted that they can do it level in as high a competitive level as possible.

Go to Top of Page

The suggestion to involve our U23 forwards was made on the assumption that Radz, Friend and Hume are all not fit Fridays return leg. Up 3 nil on away goals is the perfect time to give Ornoch, Edgar or Ledgerwood 15 minutes to close a game.

I was away from a computer and was unable to listen to the match. Fortunately, the BEST way to "watch" a canada game in those situations is to read the match thread after the fact. Every time one of you guys posted "gooooooooooooooaaaaaalll!" I did a little fist pump. Good show guys!

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

De Jong saw some action in the 2nd half today...

I heard his name a few times, but the announcers were confused, I think. All official accounts of the game have Brennan coming in for Radzinski (and Bernier for de Guz, Gerba for Friend) in the 2nd half.

Given the Radzinski injury, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some time in Montreal on Friday.

this is a good result considering past teams on the road rarely lived to their billing in these so-called easy games.

It's the largest margin of victory on the road (non-neutral site) this decade and I believe all time since the late 80s.

Okay, I know this is SVG, but I believe this is the first clean sheet for the "A" team under DM, right? As for the striker injury situation, I guess we'll see how serious Friend's problem is. However, for the second round, I am curious to see who will be "in form" and warrant a call up. I'm hoping we have a number of guys off to a good start with their clubs, making for a competitive player pool.

Archived