Canada v St. V and the G's match thread

Stuart

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

By who? There's probably never been a player so mercilessly (and unnecessarily I might add) slammed by Canadian soccer fans.

By the fact that he is being mentioned by ANYONE for a callup to the senior team.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-LucaThere's probably never been a player so mercilessly (and unnecessarily I might add) slammed by Canadian soccer fans.
How soon we forget. Mark Watson, Paul Fenwick, Carlo Corrazin, Pat Onstad, all slammed by the "knowledgeable" Vs under the universal V's title of "coach's drinking buddy".

Glad to see some common sense coming back into this thread with the win being what it was, a win under difficult conditions.

And what's with the slamming of Gerba, is he Dale's "drinking buddy" too? I don't care if he misses a hundred chances if he continues at his present strike rate. Two goals as a sub. The guy puts the puck in the ocean on a consistent basis. Nuf ced.

Don't know if this was posted yet (sorry - I'm playing catch-up this morning) but Ugo Ihemelu was deemed ineligible and sent home:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3218

FIFA World Cup™

June 16, 2008

Canada returns home after the win

Canada’s men’s national team will return home on Monday 16 June after a 3:0 win over Saint Vincent & the Grenadines. Canada has a three-goal lead in the two-match series of Stage II of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers. Canada is in a good position to secure advancement this Friday 20 June at Stade Saputo in Montréal, QC.

Tickets to this Friday’s match are still available to the general public. Tickets are available through Admission (admission.com or 514.790.1245). The 20 June match - the first-ever FIFA World Cup Qualifiers™ match to be hosted by Montréal - kicks off at 19.30 ET.

Canada will spend Monday traveling before resuming training on Tuesday 17 June. Canada will train Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Montréal. For fans unable to attend the Friday 20 June match, the match will be broadcast live on Sportsnet West (television) and THE TEAM 990 (radio AM 990 and internet team990.com). The match will also be replayed on Sportsnest Pacific, Sportsnet Ontario and Sportsnet East

Canada will take 18 players to Montréal, QC for the second match on 20 June. Of the 19 players in camp in Kingstown, only defender Ugo Ihemelu returns to his club, the Colorado Rapids. It has been determined that Ihemelu is ineligible to play for Canada in Stage II of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers.

Canada’s men’s national team is looking to get back to the FIFA World Cup™ for the first time since 1986. From within CONCACAF, three or four teams (out of 35 total or 24 remaining) will represent the confederation at South Africa 2010™. The Canadian men are currently ranked fourth in CONCACAF based on the most recent FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings. Canada also had a top-four finish at last year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup by reaching the semi-final.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

How soon we forget. Mark Watson, Paul Fenwick, Carlo Corrazin, Pat Onstad, all slammed by the "knowledgeable" Vs under the universal V's title of "coach's drinking buddy".

Usually though they did something to warrant the slamming. Lombardo continues to be slammed when he doesn't even play, as happened in the Olympic qualifiers & has for TFC this year. In that regard I think he is unique.

And to the earlier point, because one poster out of hundreds suggests we might call him up as an emergency injury replacement, I still don't think that qualifies him as being "overrated" in general.

quote:

Canada will take 18 players to Montréal, QC for the second match on 20 June. Of the 19 players in camp in Kingstown, only defender Ugo Ihemelu returns to his club, the Colorado Rapids. It has been determined that Ihemelu is ineligible to play for Canada in Stage II of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ Qualifiers.

Are they hoping he'll somehow be eligible for Stage III? This whole thing is bizarre.

Lombardo continues to be slammed when he doesn't even play, as happened in the Olympic qualifiers & has for TFC this year. In that regard I think he is unique.

Yeah, he must be Mitch's "invisible drinking buddy" Kind of like a pink elephant :)

Are they hoping he'll somehow be eligible for Stage III? This whole thing is bizarre.

I have the same comprehension issue. Not sure if they're expected him to be eligible at some point and I can't see how that would be possible if he's ineligible now because he played for the USA in 2006.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

And what's with the slamming of Gerba, is he Dale's "drinking buddy" too? I don't care if he misses a hundred chances if he continues at his present strike rate. Two goals as a sub. The guy puts the puck in the ocean on a consistent basis. Nuf ced.

I'm with you on that one.

Friend is my first pick, but Ali's been nothing if not consistent since becoming a regular for us. Canada always misses chances, but he's actually putting some in for a change. Keep it up!

gawd, could you imagine if all the panic started on our board caused them to double-check?

far-fetched, yeah, but anything is possible at the CSA, as we all know by now

re: Lombardo, i think people are crapping on him because of his combined suckiness for TFC and Canada at the U20WC last summer. I don't think anyone expected to see him in a Canada jersey ever or not for a while atleast, and he really didn't do anything to prove his critics wrong at the U23's either. Pus, he's back on the DEV roster at TFC, so you could even argue his development is stalling or going backwards. Nothing against the kid, he's not a bad guy. But let's face it, he's probably down around 10th of the depth chart for CMNT. I'd give Randy Edwini-Bonsu a shot before Lombardo.

^ Probably right jpg75. It is becoming very frustrating to read people crapping on this kid, however. FFS, he is only 21! Yeah, he is not on the radar for our NT, and he may not amount to anything, but I do not understand how he gets slagged in every thread discussing our NT depth.

He seems like a good kid. I wish him the best. Hopefully Carver gives him a go soon. I would love to see him score a few and put this issue to rest already.

I got an email back from Richard asking me to call him. I just got off the phone with him and the problem with Ugo is not the friendly he played with the US, but with meeting the consecutive residency requirement. Ugo needed to have 5 years of consecutive (apparently this is new, it used to be 2 years) residency in Canada after the age of 18. He can still play for Canada at a later date, but the assumption is he'll have to get a residence here and claim it as his permanent home address (and i'm guessing paying Canadian taxes too).

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm with you on that one.

Friend is my first pick, but Ali's been nothing if not consistent since becoming a regular for us. Canada always misses chances, but he's actually putting some in for a change. Keep it up!

Gerba is an enigma too me. His club career has been, charitably, modest and the level he typically plays at, not so high. But he scores for the nats. I wonder if he is the right selection for the top CONCACAF teams, but I never, ever, turn my nose up at goals. And he scores them.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Gerba is an enigma too me. His club career has been, charitably, modest and the level he typically plays at, not so high. But he scores for the nats. I wonder if he is the right selection for the top CONCACAF teams, but I never, ever, turn my nose up at goals. And he scores them.

Same here, but I'm wondering if Occean has been given a fair look. Gerba has started scoring last year and has been playing with arguably our best midfield ever. So, he's been spoiled in that sense.

I hope Friend he's healthy for the group stage since I think he should be our first option but I'm wondering if Occean would be a better cover than Ali since he's been a consistent scorer at an higher level for a few years now.

remember when forrest (or maybe dobson) said friend had no future with the MNT? give Lombardo a break, we've all seen him play pretty well until like a month or two into the start of last season and then we all saw him become pretty much invisible after that but it's not like talent really disappears, There's a good possibility that in 4 years he'll have developed into something useful so don't go around burning bridges and judging the futures of 21 year old kids. I'd agree he's fallen down the depth chart, but to go around making bold statements like he's finished is just silly, and just cause he's fallen down in depth doesn't make it okay to ****e on him.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

remember when forrest (or maybe dobson) said friend had no future with the MNT?

It was Lenarduzzi who said that after the 2001 U20 WC, not Dobson or Forrest. I remember this distinctly as it really irked me at the time & I can remember a former regular poster here by the name of Klaus who agreed with me and also added that he though Friend would do well if he were to ever play in Germany......

It was Lenarduzzi who said that after the 2001 U20 WC, not Dobson or Forrest. I remember this distinctly as it really irked me at the time & I can remember a former regular poster here by the name of Klaus who agreed with me and also added that he though Friend would do well if he were to ever play in Germany......

Did you catch the episode of ExtraTime where Paul James explained that he left his job as the U-20 MNT coach over a disagreement with Holger Osieck about the selection of Rob Friend. James said that Holger didn't think much of Rob while Paul was high on the kid. I thought that was an interesting story.

Archived