Lars in the Champions League (R)

JamesW

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Transylvania is one of the world's most beautiful regions, and Cluj is likely it's most beautiful city. I don't know what kind of contract he received but the cost of living compared to Norway is almost non-existent.

Check this out. Talk about timing.

Had an old customer come in today, Russian fellow from Odessa who I got onto good terms with during my days in the machine shop, comes sees me when he needs help getting car parts that sort of thing. Super nice guy. Brings me his made from scratch home made beer now and again but not this time...

Anyway, asked him if he knew anything about Cluj. He said it's a wonderful place. The nicest people, and most beautiful region in all of Romania with a bit of everything for everyone. Even a decade ago when things where less good in the old Soviet block. Not to mention maybe a bit more "western" than you'd otherwise think. (Not quite sure what he meant by that. Commercial?)

Depending on what you're looking for maybe not as cheap as some other regions, but still stupid cheap and he'd take the kids there on holiday next time he goes back to Ukraine if there's enough time.

Has some other stuff to say about Romania but nothing flattering (or unbiased I'd assume) though.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Romania has a stronger league than Norway and is head and shoulders above the Bundesliga 2. Their top clubs are respectable in Euro competition and the league is not as imbalanced as Scotland.

yeah well...forgive for not being ecstatic...he is moving to an eastern european league where he will literally play in front of crowds of 1500...the average in the league is 5000 (not sure how BL2 with tripple that attendance could be so much worse)

lars is now in his greatest window of opportunity...he has been showcased in the CL...he is nearly 30 years old...i was hoping he would capitalize on the opportunity and move to a league that most people could at least name 3 teams from....this move is lateral at best and if this team doesnt maintain its sudden improvement over the past 20 years, he will vanish.

the top 2 clubs are respectable in europe, i agree, but this club is a traditional mid to low table one...hopefully that is changing, but rosenborg were at least a team that has high attendance and big league atmosphere in a league that gets reasonable exposure with a good record of supplying players to top leagues...not sure romania is any of those things.

i am sure it will be a fine place to play, but i was hoping for better.

interesting...there are a bunch of aussies in this league.

anyone know how to pronounce Cluj?

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

Based on the argument you are trying to make, the leagues in Egypt and Iran must be the best in the world. Matches in Tehran regularly draw over 100,000 fans. Attendance has zero bearing on the standard of play at a club or in a league. Steau Bucharest, Dinamo Bucharest, Rapid Bucharest, and now Cluj makes four. That puts paid to your second comment. You suspect that Lars may vanish with Cluj? If he had stayed at Rosenborg, he'd vanish much quicker. Ten years ago, Rosenborg played a few consecutive years of Champions' League football. This past season was their first reappearance in a long time. That is over now, as they failed to qualify for any European competition for next year. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, had he stayed there, Lars has already disappeared. So, how many Norwegian players can you name playing outside of Norway right now? How many Romanians? If you're honest with yourself, you'll agree that the numbers are similar. Romania has always produced some fine football players, as has Norway. In no way is this a backward step for Lars.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

The poster your quoting said it was a "lateral move" for Lars and I have to agree with this. No one has said it was a move backward.

Of course the attendance isn't everything but 5 000 a game seems very low for a league like that.

BTW, I think this move is an indication of Lars level. Solid keeper but just not good enough to move to a top 5 league.

quote:Originally posted by loyolaBTW, I think this move is an indication of Lars level. Solid keeper but just not good enough to move to a top 5 league.

A bit of a predictable comment from you but I don't think an accurate one at all. Anyone who is good enough for a top team in a decent league that is intended to be a solid Champions League side is good enough to play at the very least on a mid-table team in either France or Germany. French and German teams are very tight with their money though particularly in recent times. What this is indicative of is where the new money is in European soccer at the moment. Rosneborg is interested in getting top dollar for Lars regardless of where from and went with who was willing to pay them what they wanted.

BTW while it is true that Romanian league attendance averages about 5000 there are some smaller teams that bring the average down. Cluj is 3rd in league attendance and has averaged 8400 this year which is not bad considering the population of the city and that the other Cluj team also gets about 3000 a game. The playing level of the team should be judged more on the team budget which like most teams comes more from sponsorship money than ticket sales.

I too am disappointed but not so much because Cluj is a poor move but because I expected something better as far as which league he was going to play. If my expectations hadn't been raised beforehand I would probably feel better about this move.

Ten years ago, Rosenborg played a few consecutive years of Champions' League football. This past season was their first reappearance in a long time. That is over now, as they failed to qualify for any European competition for next year.

Ummm - Rosenborg have played in the CL 14 of the past 15 years... Next year they'll play in the UEFA Cup - not quite CL, but still European competition.

the perception is that norway is a bigger, more affluent league playing in first rate facilities with good league attendance, a good record of promoting players to major leagues with more exposure outside its borders....the comparasin should not only be to norway though, becaue it was clear that he had to move...we should be comparing this move to the other leagues and opportunities that he could potentially have gone to at this stage in his career...like germany, holland etc....is romania a positive step forward?...i dont see how it is.

lars is moving to a league with miniscule operating budgets, in a very poor country (91st GDP rank) and will be playing in front of high school sports sized crowds, with practically no exposure outside of romania.

i know that lars had to leave RBK but i hoped he would go somewhere that at least could offer him a major league experience and lots of exposure to bigger clubs....BL2 or the championship would at least put him on the radar.

romania's liga 1 is a serious minor league...

week 19 attendance (last matches played):

GLORIA BUZÃU v. CEAHLÃUL PIATRA-NEAMÞ

attendance: 3000

GLORIA BISTRIÞA v. RAPID BUCUREªTI

attendance: 1500

OÞELUL GALAÞI v. PANDURII TÂRGU-JIU

attendance: 1500

UNIVERSITATEA CRAIOVA v. POLITEHNICA IAªI

attendance: 500

FC VASLUI v. DINAMO BUCUREªTI

attendance: 5000

DACIA MIOVENI v. FCM UTA ARAD

attendance: 200

UNIVERSITATEA CLUJ-NAPOCA v. UNIREA VOLUNTARI URZICENI

attendance: 800

STEAUA BUCUREªTI v. FC FARUL CONSTANÞA

attendance: 1200

POLITEHNICA ªTIINÞA TIMIªOARA v. CFR 1907 CLUJ-NAPOCA

attendance: 12000

look for yourself...the week before, most games had attendance of 1-2000....this is a major european football league?

http://www.romaniansoccer.ro/divizia_a/2007_08/2007_08.shtml

Are we comparing playing level or attendance? The Montreal Impact has attendance similar to the average 1st division club in Portugal while TFC has French league attendance but I don't think anyone would argue that they play at a similar level. Incidentally while there are some poor attendances in the week you posted the game Cluj played in was attended by 12000 people. With the amount of transfers coming out of Romanian clubs there must be an awful lot of scouts watching these games.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Playing in the Champions' League first or second qualifying round does not make you a 'Champions' League' club. If you don't qualify for the group stages, you're not in the Champions' League. This was the first season in many years that Rosenborg played in the Champions' League.

quote:the perception is that norway is a bigger, more affluent league playing in first rate facilities with good league attendance, a good record of promoting players to major leagues with more exposure outside its borders....the comparasin should not only be to norway though, becaue it was clear that he had to move...we should be comparing this move to the other leagues and opportunities that he could potentially have gone to at this stage in his career...like germany, holland etc....is romania a positive step forward?...i dont see how it is.

lars is moving to a league with miniscule operating budgets, in a very poor country (91st GDP rank) and will be playing in front of high school sports sized crowds, with practically no exposure outside of romania.

i know that lars had to leave RBK but i hoped he would go somewhere that at least could offer him a major league experience and lots of exposure to bigger clubs....BL2 or the championship would at least put him on the radar.

I beg to differ. Norway may have better facilities and bigger crowds. I can't dispute that, because other than trying to keep abreast of how any Canadians playing there are doing, I don't bother looking at its league. I view it as I would view the Finnish league, that is not at all. It is minor league in much the same way that you are labelling the Romanian league as minor league.

Moreover, where are these players that Norway is exporting en masse to bigger and better leagues. The Norway team has three or four players who are playing at top clubs in top leagues. There are more players from the Norway team playing in Norway than there are players in the Romanian league that are playing in Romania. This indicates to me that the Romanian league is producing more and better talent than Norway. There are very few people who would prefer Carew to Mutu, or Riise to Chivu. If you look further back into history, Romania has always produced more and better players than Norway. Hagi, anyone?

The fact is that this move is, at worst a lateral move for Lars. Given the current status of the two teams, I'd argue that it's a positive move. People are saying that they are disappointed that Lars isn't moving to a lower- to mid-table club in France, Germany, or Holland. We have no evidence that any such clubs wanted him. We should all just be happy for Lars that he's been able to make a financially beneficial career move that doesn't hurt his chances of helping Canada over the next few years.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

A bit of a predictable comment from you but I don't think an accurate one at all. Anyone who is good enough for a top team in a decent league that is intended to be a solid Champions League side is good enough to play at the very least on a mid-table team in either France or Germany. French and German teams are very tight with their money though particularly in recent times. What this is indicative of is where the new money is in European soccer at the moment. Rosneborg is interested in getting top dollar for Lars regardless of where from and went with who was willing to pay them what they wanted.

I've seen my fair share of Bundesliga and EPL games this year and I can't really name you one starting keeper who I would rank lower than Lars. I haven't seen many relegation bound teams so maybe he would be good enough for those teams but I doubt he would be an appealing transfer for mid table teams in those leagues.

I've always the impression of slagging Lars but IMO he's a fine keeper just that I think some have a tendancy to overrate him (Jeeez, some were calling him "world class" a few years ago).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I've seen my fair share of Bundesliga and EPL games this year and I can't really name you one starting keeper who I would rank lower than Lars. I haven't seen many relegation bound teams so maybe he would be good enough for those teams but I doubt he would be an appealing transfer for mid table teams in those leagues.

I've always the impression of slagging Lars but IMO he's a fine keeper just that I think some have a tendancy to overrate him (Jeeez, some were calling him "world class" a few years ago).

I agree with you Loyola. I like Lars, i think he's a good goalie, but i think people are getting carried away with their expectations of him.

Here's all you need to know about the 2 leagues and UCL

Romania = 1 Auto spot + 1 qualifier

Norway = 1 qualifier

That's not to slag the Norwegians, who have been gracious hosts to some of our MNT players and have been kind in keeping us updated over the years. But there's a reason Romania has more European spots, they've earned them.

I beg to differ. Norway may have better facilities and bigger crowds. I can't dispute that, because other than trying to keep abreast of how any Canadians playing there are doing, I don't bother looking at its league. I view it as I would view the Finnish league, that is not at all. It is minor league in much the same way that you are labelling the Romanian league as minor league.

Moreover, where are these players that Norway is exporting en masse to bigger and better leagues. The Norway team has three or four players who are playing at top clubs in top leagues. There are more players from the Norway team playing in Norway than there are players in the Romanian league that are playing in Romania. This indicates to me that the Romanian league is producing more and better talent than Norway. There are very few people who would prefer Carew to Mutu, or Riise to Chivu. If you look further back into history, Romania has always produced more and better players than Norway. Hagi, anyone?

The fact is that this move is, at worst a lateral move for Lars. Given the current status of the two teams, I'd argue that it's a positive move. People are saying that they are disappointed that Lars isn't moving to a lower- to mid-table club in France, Germany, or Holland. We have no evidence that any such clubs wanted him. We should all just be happy for Lars that he's been able to make a financially beneficial career move that doesn't hurt his chances of helping Canada over the next few years.

i should never have compared romania to norway...it isnt the point...i should have compared romania to other leagues that i feel he should have an opportunity to play in at this point in his career.

i only show the incredibly low attendance numbers of this league as evidence that this is a very low level league in a poor country with very little exposure and a minor league atmosphere.

at his age, he should be reaching the point where he is at the pinnacle of his career...if playing in front of 200 people is it, then i have to say i am disappointed.

in my opinion championship or BL2 would have been a minimum expectation for him and i am disappointed that he couldnt step forward out of norway.

Playing in the Champions' League first or second qualifying round does not make you a 'Champions' League' club. If you don't qualify for the group stages, you're not in the Champions' League. This was the first season in many years that Rosenborg played in the Champions' League.

Uh-huh.

all in the group stage. In addition to 2007.

Does that make them a "Champions League" club?

Lars Hirschfeld still in Rosenborg

Canadian goalie Lars Hirschfeld rejects the rumours saying he has signed for another club.

Av Odd Rune Wolden og Chris Thomas Skogli

Publisert: 05.01.2008 00:04

On Friday night several Norwegian and foreign medias reported that Lars Hirschfeld had signed a contract with the Romanian club CFR Cluj. Lars Hirschfeld rejects the rumours.

- No, I have not signed anything and I’m actually pretty upset right now, says Lars Hirschfeld to RBK.no.

The 29-year-old goalie has just returned to Canada after his honeymoon. Earlier he was allowed by the club to take some extra days off, and as planned he won’t participate in the first part of the training camp on the Canary Islands which starts on Saturday.

- I want to make clear that I have not refused any offer from Rosenborg, which I know has been written in the media. The reason I didn’t wanted to extend my contract before New Year was that we were in the middle of the UEFA Champions League. I also wanted to wait for my private situation to be settled (wedding, moving and more), and also see what happened concerning the coach situation in Rosenborg, adds Lars Hirschfeld.

Hirschfeld will travel back to Trondheim and Rosenborg next week to have conversations with the club.

Yes, the new keeper was signed to be no. 1, and I think it would be good for Lars' career to move on. It might be better for him (more choices) if he waits until he's a bosman - which may also give him a chance to retain his starting spot should the new guy (Jarstein) fail. Rosenborg will want to get something for him, and probably their last chance to do that is this transfer window.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Ignoring the arrogance and ignorance of this statement, have you looked at where Lars was living? Trondheim has a population of 161 000 and is nearer to the Arctic Circle than any major cities. In addition to the isolation they get hardly any sun in winter and hardly any dark in summer. The standard of living in Norway is high but the cost of living and taxes are also among the highest in the world.

In Cluj he is moving to a larger city that is close to the heart of Europe with cities like Bucharest, Budapest, Cracow, Prague and Vienna being within easy driving distance. Romania has had some economic difficulties in recent years but they are recovering and with the low cost of living he will live like a king. Given a similar salary I would pick living in Cluj over Trondheim.

Nor is his career over. A large number of players have transferred from Romania to other leagues particularly the Bundesliga. Another good Champion's League performance will put him on the radar of many clubs especially if he can have a better team playing in front of him than he did this year.

Cluj looks like a pretty attractive city:

800px-CJROCluj-Napoca_19.jpg

I'm being arrogant and ignorant..? I've been to Romania several times and to Czech Republic and Poland many more times. No matter how good the pictures look , eastern europe is a craphole. Same goes for Serbia/Ukraine/Croatia.

You get beat up on every street corner and get robbed if they know you have money. Many foreign players/coaches in Russia/Ukraine live in hotels and have to have bodyguards to even travel to stadiums. No chance of a personal life whatsoever.

Your the one being ignorant here. If you would have the chance to choose between Trondheim or Cluj you would pick Cluj...

Your having a bloody laugh..:D

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I agree, i say get paid what you can. I was responding to what SCF had just written, which was uncalled for IMO.

I said exactly the same as you JPG..? Maybe you should read it again because I said that you cant blame Lars for not giving a monkeys about his career because after spending 4 years in the craphole that is Romania , he will never ever have to work again.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08I'm being arrogant and ignorant..? I've been to Romania several times and to Czech Republic and Poland many more times. No matter how good the pictures look , eastern europe is a craphole. Same goes for Serbia/Ukraine/Croatia.

You get beat up on every street corner and get robbed if they know you have money. Many foreign players/coaches in Russia/Ukraine live in hotels and have to have bodyguards to even travel to stadiums. No chance of a personal life whatsoever.

Your the one being ignorant here. If you would have the chance to choose between Trondheim or Cluj you would pick Cluj...

Your having a bloody laugh..:D

I have no doubt that YOU get beat up on every street corner in Eastern Europe. Funny thing that it doesn't happen to me even though I have lived in Eastern Europe and visit it every year (and no I am not from Eastern Europe). Actually when you are arrogant and ignorant and visit places that you consider to be crapholes you tend to get beat up regardless of where it is.

I think a lot of people would choose Cluj over Trondheim if salary was not a concern like in Lars situation. I am sure Trondheim is a nice city and suits certain peoples tastes just fine. However, it takes a certain type of person to enjoy living in a small, isolated city in the far north. You make it sound like he is moving from Paris to a backwater town. Cluj is not a large city but still has about twice the population of Trondheim and is near some of the best and biggest cities in Europe. Different people prefer different places but I would certainly prefer to live in central Europe than near the Arctic circle.

Archived