Lars in the Champions League (R)

JamesW

Good game for Lars. He didnt have alot to do in the game. Too many Chelsea chances were not as good as they should have been. Chelsea missed a few injured players and couldnt convert scoring chances. A few more good matches for Rosenborg in the CL and Lars might have a few options if he wanted to move to a bigger club.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

I'd like a show of hands of the jackasses who said Lars' kicking game was a problem. No hurry.

I don't think you can call anyone jackasses who criticized Lar's kicking because his kicking really sucked for quite a while. Judging from what I saw of the game his kicking has greatly improved, which is good because it seems like this is a weakness of many of our keepers.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I don't think you can call anyone jackasses who criticized Lar's kicking because his kicking really sucked for quite a while. Judging from what I saw of the game his kicking has greatly improved, which is good because it seems like this is a weakness of many of our keepers.

Pretty much what I thought when I read that post. Pretty much everyone here haven't seen much of him in the past 3-4 yrs so it's tough to know how good he is in different areas of goalkeeping. But he certainly wasn't a very good kicker of the ball (just like pretty much every canadian keepers I have seen in my life) when he played for Canada in the past.

Good for him if he improved that aspect of his game, IMO that's one of the most important.

Laughing myself sick.

Dominating performance by the Rosenborg defence in the air. Awesome display. Great overall defending and excepting for some wicked howlers they played the ball out of their own half when the opportunity allowed quite often. Very impressive.

Uber nervous to start but Lars looked better as the match got on I thought. Frame saved a Chelski goal or two but that's the way she goes. Good overall match by Lars I thought and agree completely that his gloves must be covered in glue. Shame he just clocked his own player on a punch. Ah well. Cleared the danger anyway.

Poor match by Chelsea. Unless things improve quick they're going to struggle. Badly.

P.S. Lars kicking USE to be aweful. Terrible. But it's odviously improved. (Hard to judge if his command the area has improved any from today though).

Guest Jeffery S.

The daily Sport here in Barcelona gave Lars its highest rating for the game. I did not see it.

I could care less about a keeper's kicking, how antiquated you all are. Now if a keeper can play as a stopper, if he can control a back pass well and pass out precisely without risk to his backs, if he can make a quick transition and throw the ball to a wing 35 metres up, well that is important. But kicking? There are 12 year olds that can kick up field high and in bounds. Big deal, and almost zero tactical value.

No, not exactly top of the skills list by which goalkeepers are forever judged but I wouldn't just blow it off either. For the 12-15 times a match (sometimes a half) when your keep is going to have to hoof it up field I'd rather he not just give the ball away on a throw in at the mid field mark on every other kick, thank-you.

Rosenborg nor Canada are ever going to be teams which as a designed strategy are going to build out of the back-field on a regular basis. Nor is that a strategy you'd care to pursue against a trailing team which is desperate and pressuring you high later in a match. Your keeper had better damned will be able to kick a stationary ball or find a 12 year old who can teach how to.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

No, not exactly top of the skills list by which goalkeepers are forever judged but I wouldn't just blow it off either. For the 12-15 times a match (sometimes a half) when your keep is going to have to hoof it up field I'd rather he not just give the ball away on a throw in at the mid field mark on every other kick, thank-you.

Rosenborg nor Canada are ever going to be teams which as a designed strategy are going to build out of the back-field on a regular basis. Nor is that a strategy you'd care to pursue against a trailing team which is desperate and pressuring you high later in a match. Your keeper had better damned will be able to kick a stationary ball or find a 12 year old who can teach how to.

I disagree with the statement "For the 12-15 times a match (sometimes a half) when your keep is going to have to hoof it up field", because the keeper never HAS TO hoof it up field. It is merely and only an option, and as an option should be available, sure. But the precision and talent needed to move the ball out in all the other ways available are far superior to the precision and talent needed to "hoof it".

And since hoofing it is a low odds way of playing football (defenders facing the ball always have an advantage over attackers turning to receive it, probably around 60-70% their way), and even good hoofing can't improve them substantially, I would rather worry about the 15 or twenty other important things a keeper can do and improve on that have a much higher impact on giving you success in the game.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I disagree with the statement "For the 12-15 times a match (sometimes a half) when your keep is going to have to hoof it up field", because the keeper never HAS TO hoof it up field. It is merely and only an option, and as an option should be available, sure. But the precision and talent needed to move the ball out in all the other ways available are far superior to the precision and talent needed to "hoof it".

And since hoofing it is a low odds way of playing football (defenders facing the ball always have an advantage over attackers turning to receive it, probably around 60-70% their way), and even good hoofing can't improve them substantially, I would rather worry about the 15 or twenty other important things a keeper can do and improve on that have a much higher impact on giving you success in the game.

By "kicking" I usually refer to all the plays a keeper has to make with his feet, ball control, passing and kicking the ball to a forward. My bad if this wasn't clear.

When 70% of the action a keeper will receive in a game he has to play with his feet, I think footwork is really important.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Just saw Chelski's goal and Hirschfeld was caught in no-man's land there.

Oh yeah. If you look at the one view in the YouTube clip (43 seconds in) you can see just how hopeless Lars was.

Interesting to think what would have happened if he had been on his line for that play. Does Shevchenko put in a nice header to the far post or does he miss the target/head it right to Lars?

Lars had a solid game - especially in the later stages when Chelsea were reduced to pumping long balls into the box. He commanded his box well, and started a couple of Rosenborg raids with accurate throws.

He definitely has to share the blame for the goal, though. The defender - Bjørn Tore Kvarme, ex Liverpool player - lost Shevchenko in the box leaving him open. And Lars was in no-mans land, having misjudged the cross. Unfortunately for Rosenborg, that one lapse was enough to cost them 2 points. Granted, a win would have been a theft for them, but they are the weakest team by far (at least on paper) in the group, and cannot afford mistakes if they are to challenge for 3rd place and advancement in the UEFA-cup.

The sad thing for Rosenborg is a couple of minutes before the equaliser they had their best spell of the game and put som good pressure on Chelsea. Young midfielder Aleksander Tettey (20 yo - recently promoted to the Norwegian NT) had a wonderful opportunity to score but missed badly from about 14 yards after a cross found him wide open in front of the goal.

Still, Norwegian media are in awe of the achievement of coming home from London with a point, and give Lars a fair bit of the credit for the result.

Next game for Rosenborg is Schalke at home in Trondheim - this is one they need to win if they are to have any hopes of further Euro-adventures.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Anybody just see on the wire that Morinhuo has quit, in part as a result of the Rosenborg game?? Whoah...big news if this is true

bbc says it is true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7003912.stm

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has sensationally left Stamford Bridge, according to BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard.

The news comes just 24 hours after the disappointing Champions League draw against Rosenborg.

Legard understands that Mourinho has texted senior players, including skipper John Terry, with the news of his departure from Stamford Bridge.

There has been no official word so far from the Premier League club.

Report: BBC football correspondent Jonathan Legard

Archive: Mourinho's first season with Chelsea

Mourinho joined Chelsea in the summer of 2004 and led them to the Premiership title in each of his first two seasons in charge.

Last season they finished runners-up to Manchester United but won both the FA Cup and Carling Cup, a trophy they had also collected in 2005.

His achievements also saw him voted as Premiership manager of the year in 2005 and 2006.

MOURINHO'S CHELSEA RECORD

2 June, 2004 - Appointed manager

27 February, 2005 - Wins Carling Cup 3-2 v Liverpool

30 April, 2005 - Beat Bolton 2-0 to win Premiership title

4 May, 2005 - Signs new five-year contract

29 April, 2006 - Beat Man Utd 3-0 to win Premiership again

27 February, 2007 - Beat Arsenal 2-1 to win Carling Cup

19 May, 2007 - Win FA Cup by beating Man Utd 1-0 at Wembley

19 September, 2007 - Leaves Stamford Bridge

However the Champions League trophy eluded the club and this season's campaign started with Tuesday's shock 1-1 result against the Norwegians in front of a crowd of just 24,973.

It was their third successive game without a win following a 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa and a goalless draw with Blackburn in the Premier League.

Those results have left Chelsea fifth in the table - two points behind leaders Arsenal and with a visit to Manchester United to come on Sunday.

He did have one unique record during his reign in never losing a home league game at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho signed a five-year contract in 2005 and quashed speculation in January that he would leave Stamford Bridge in the summer by saying he was happy to see out his deal if he received "real support" from the club.

• 2 weeks later...

Schalke won 2-0. Any word about Lars performance? Thanks.

I'm getting the highlights on Dutch TV soon. They are currently showing the higlights of Werder Bremen vs Olympiakos so it could take some time...

I'll see if he can make a few good saves and see if he's at fault for the goals.

Schalke won 2-0. Any word about Lars performance? Thanks.

There's a photo of the first goal on the uefa.com site which shows the Schalke striker all alone in the 18 yard box 1-1 with Hirschfeld and seemingly all day to put the ball in, so it doesn't look like he's to blame on that one at least.

Archived