Lars in the Champions League (R)

JamesW

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow...that was a great save!...and what an amazing result.

"Twice Iván Helguera got on the end of them, the second time drawing a splendid save from Lars Hirschfeld."

next up chelsea....

they either need to beat schalke or have valencia beat schalke and lose to chelsea.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by trueviking

"Twice Iván Helguera got on the end of them, the second time drawing a splendid save from Lars Hirschfeld."

next up chelsea....

they either need to beat schalke or have valencia beat schalke and lose to chelsea.

There are quite a few teams in Spain with keeping problems this year (when last year it was quite the opposite), so it would be great to see Lars get a transfer up to a side here.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

next up chelsea....

Rosenborg have a big problem now because their League has ended so they dont have any competitive matches and just have to do with training or possibly a friendly until their next two games.

quote:Originally posted by ken

They next play the 27th at home to Chelsea, what is the chance that they will refuse to let Lars leave for South Africa or more likely encourage him to suffer a minor injury?

Nah, I'm sure the club would be more then happy for him to get an almost meaningful game in between now and the game against Chelsea. Are they going to tell their other internationals (assuming they have some) that they can't play in Euro qualifiers? I expect he will answer the call if called.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

There are quite a few teams in Spain with keeping problems this year (when last year it was quite the opposite), so it would be great to see Lars get a transfer up to a side here.

yeah, i hope he gets some good exposure through this...you never know who is watching....lars needs a break.

It was a good game by Lars, indeed. He also had a lot of help from his defense, who did not allow the spaniards to get close which made his night a lot easier than expected. All in all, it was gratifying for a Norwegian soccer fan to see Rosenborg play so well - this was not a lucky win, but rather a well-deserved one.

Schalke away next, which I fear may be much more difficult. But then Chelsea come to Trondheim for the final game, and I imagine they will have defeated Valencia and already be group winners which may make them less motivated to play their best...and with a win there, Rosenborg would be second.

• 2 weeks later...

Half Time Score = 0-3....

Other result is also not going Rosenborgs way. Valencia - Schalke is 0-0 and Valencia are a man down.

If Schalke get at least a point then they would only have to beat Rosenborg at home to take 2nd place. Rosenborg do take Uefa Cup football then though which is already amazing for them.

Hirschfeld wants to defer decision whether to extend his contract with Rosenborg. The club however insists quick answer.

Read more: http://www.rosenborg.info/article/5704

A winter move is possible if Rosenborg succeed in signing Rune Jarstein. I guess Lars has impressed quite a few clubs with his performances in the Champions League.

I personally would like to keep Hirschfeld. He is a great person and his performances have been at a very high and stable level during his two seasons - in deep contrast to his predecessor Espen Johnsen. Jarstein will hopefully be a good replacement though.

Interesting that Lars is waiting to respond to Rosenborg. Hopefully that means he is in fact getting some attention from other clubs, althought that is not guaranteed.

I watched the game yesterday and thought that Lars did a decent job in a tough situation. There is no doubt that Lars is a great athlete, he has swift agility and quick reaction times. What does continue to seem suspect about his play is his positioning. The ESPN analyst made a note of that early in the game. So, in that sense, he is the complete opposite of Onstad.

What is also hopeful is that if Lars steps up to a bigger club and gets some better coaching maybe his positional play will improve.

Regardless, just great to see a Canadian playing in the Champions League. Kudos to Lars. And it would seem that an away draw at Schalke would carry them through to the next round, which would be a major accomplishment for Rosenborg. I believe a loss would still see them through to the UEFA Cup which would be great for them as well.

Interesting that Lars is waiting to respond to Rosenborg. Hopefully that means he is in fact getting some attention from other clubs, althought that is not guaranteed.

I watched the game yesterday and thought that Lars did a decent job in a tough situation. There is no doubt that Lars is a great athlete, he has swift agility and quick reaction times. What does continue to seem suspect about his play is his positioning. The ESPN analyst made a note of that early in the game. So, in that sense, he is the complete opposite of Onstad.

What is also hopeful is that if Lars steps up to a bigger club and gets some better coaching maybe his positional play will improve.

Regardless, just great to see a Canadian playing in the Champions League. Kudos to Lars. And it would seem that an away draw at Schalke would carry them through to the next round, which would be a major accomplishment for Rosenborg. I believe a loss would still see them through to the UEFA Cup which would be great for them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This time of year is always tough for Rosenborg - aside from the game v. Chelsea, they have not kicked a ball in anger since the Norwegian season ended over a month ago. It seems their defense is struggling the most - all three Schalke goals are due to really sloppy defending by players who are obviously in their off-season. Lars has made some good saves, and is not at fault on any of the goals.

Archived