Lars in the Champions League (R)

JamesW

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea wants kickstart

In Champions League opener

By STUART CONDIE

LONDON (AP) - Chelsea's first Champions League match of the season against Rosenborg on Tuesday is about more than picking up crucial points. It's a chance for the Blues to get their faltering season on track.

Standing in their way will be Edmonton's Lars Hirschfeld, the Canadian international who plays goal for Rosenborg.

Chelsea's slow start to the Premier League season has left it in fifth place after six games ahead of its match against the Norwegian champions.

With key players injured or out of form, Chelsea - the 2005 and 2006 English champions - have looked far less formidable than in recent years despite the off-season acquisition of top players including Florent Malouda and Claudio Pizarro.

The continued investment of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich means coach Jose Mourinho is under pressure to improve upon his side's Champions League performances. Chelsea has never won Europe's top team title and lost in the semifinals to Liverpool in two of the past three years.

"We're so desperate to win it," Chelsea captain John Terry said. "We're born winners here and that's going to keep us going."

Chelsea will have to improve drastically upon its early season form if it's to be a contender.

The Blues lost 2-0 at Aston Villa and drew 0-0 against visiting Blackburn in its past two Premier League games, with Saturday's scoreless draw meaning they have just seven goals in six matches.

That's despite an attack boasting Didier Drogba, Malouda, Andriy Shevchenko and Shaun Wright-Phillips, who seems to have finally become a regular for England on the strength of his club performances this season.

However, Drogba sat out the match against Blackburn having aggravated a knee problem against Villa and may not recover in time to play Tuesday.

"For a month I've trained with pain in my right knee," Drogba wrote in a column for French magazine Sport. "Sadly, I've not been able to get rid of this discomfort. I've played four Premier League matches in this state and it is unbearable.

"The European Cup is a competition that makes me dream. It irritates me not to be there.

Shevchenko was again disappointing when he replaced Drogba for his first match of the season, and his form has been so poor for Chelsea since joining from AC Milan a year ago that he has been linked with a return to Milan and another former club, Dynamo Kyiv.

With Drogba likely to miss out, the Ukraine striker may get another chance to impress on Tuesday, but one man who won't is Michael Ballack.

The Germany captain was left off Chelsea's roster for the Champions League group stage, with the club citing an ankle injury. However, Germany coach Joachim Loew has expressed surprise at the decision and said he expects Ballack to be available next month.

That has added to speculation that Ballack could be sold, as early as January.

Whichever team Mourinho fields, Rosenborg may struggle to pose a strong threat to Chelsea, which is unbeaten at home in the Premier League since March 2004. It has lost at home in the Champions League since then, but that was to eventual champion FC Barcelona in 2006.

The Trondheim team is in the Champions League for the 11th time and was a regular throughout the 1990s, but has one away win in 19 Champions League matches and lost 5-1 to Arsenal on its last visit to an English club.

Rosenborg lost at IK Start 2-1 last weekend and is fifth in the Norwegian league, 10 points behind leader Brann Bergen after 19 matches.

But Rosenborg does have one player who has scored against Chelsea. Striker Steffen Iversen was at Chelsea rival Tottenham for seven years and scored in a 2-2 draw in 1999.

"Chelsea are a fantastic team but they've had a few problems up front recently," Iversen said. "We're going to have to concentrate 100 per cent on our defence. Don't forget all the pressure is on them to take three points.

"I've scored at Chelsea before for Tottenham and wouldn't mind scoring again."

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

As posted by marktci in the Canadians abroad thread, the game will be shown on Setanta Sports, 2:30 EST.

For those of us without Setanta Sports, does anyone know of a direct stream? One we can use without having to download a P2P program?

That's almost impossible.

You really only need two programs to see most matches. Take a free hour in the day , download them once and your set for a few years of great football...[8D]

The two best programs IMO are TVANTS and SOPCAST...

http://download2.tvants.com/pub/tvants/tvants1/win32/bin/TvantsSetup.EXE

http://download.sopcast.com/download/SopCast.zip

If you have downloaded it you can check these 2 sites for the games...

http://nl.myp2p.eu/index.htm (Also NBA , NHL , NFL etc)

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/index.html

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

SCF08, are there English Coca-cola Championship matches available? Are there any fees associated with these streams?

I'm sure SCF08 will fill you in with the details... but there are no fees and there are several Championship matches available (usually Sky Sports feeds).

I started using them for the Gold Cup. It's brilliant.

Guest Jeffery S.

For some reason I have never, ever got Sopcast working. I had TVants going during the Gold Cup, but nothing since then. PPMate used to always work for me, but not for a long time.

I have problems with sopcast too, but PPmate works fine, and some of the others as well. I tend to download in function of what you need, if I don't use it for a while I chuck it, one download, forget which, gave me some unwanted glitches.

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

SCF08, are there English Coca-cola Championship matches available? Are there any fees associated with these streams?

No everything is free. There are not a lot of CCC matches on...

It mostly depends if there is a early PL kick-off. If there isnt one then you have a very good shot at a game. Also mid-week games are occasionally shown.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

He's looking composed.

Is he? He seems a little shaky so far to me. One time he had a bit of a mix up with one of his defenders. He came out to get the ball but his defender headed it away (and if I am remembering this right) a Chelsea player was between him and his defender, he really was no where near getting the ball. Him and the other player seemed to be disagreeing about that player afterwards Another time he came out for a ball and again, it looked like his chances of getting it were slim. He didn't get it and the Chelsea header landed on top of the net, very near the cross bar.

That has been the story so far it seems for Chelsea. Missing the target. But maybe if they were hitting the target Lars would be coming up with the saves. I don't know. But the bottom line is Rosenborg is in the lead!

If you want the direct stream, here is the URL:

mms://80.67.86.101/D/1991/22299/v0001/reflector:48484

Is he? He seems a little shaky so far to me. One time he had a bit of a mix up with one of his defenders. He came out to get the ball but his defender headed it away (and if I am remembering this right) a Chelsea player was between him and his defender, he really was no where near getting the ball. Him and the other player seemed to be disagreeing about that player afterwards Another time he came out for a ball and again, it looked like his chances of getting it were slim. He didn't get it and the Chelsea header landed on top of the net, very near the cross bar.

Well all that must have happened before I tuned in. He seemed to have settled down in the part that I was watching.

1-1 on another ball played into the box that caused Lars trouble. I have not seen that good of an angle yet, but it looked like poor keeping by Lars. Coming out for it when once again it was clear he was not going to get to it. It was a very good ball in.

I tried my best to recap the goal it the post above yours jpg75.

Lars just saved a goal by getting a finger on a spinning ball off of a freekick. He had two players in blue around him.

And I think Chelsea just smashed one off the post. But not 100% sure on that.

Twenty minutes to go. Malouda hit the post about 60 minute mark. Lars just came out bravely to stop Joe Cole. Joe, Ashley and Nat King Cole all subbed out now for some other gazillionaires.

Archived