Lars in the Champions League (R)

JamesW

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There's a photo of the first goal on the uefa.com site which shows the Schalke striker all alone in the 18 yard box 1-1 with Hirschfeld and seemingly all day to put the ball in, so it doesn't look like he's to blame on that one at least.

He's indeed not to blame for the first goal. Rosenborg played the offside trap but the left-back went a sleep and Jones was 1 on 1 and slid the ball between Hirschfield's legs.

The second was pretty straight forward as well. A simple counter attack from Schalke. Kuranyi cuts inside and his shots takes a slight deflection into the corner...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Now 2-0 for Rosenborg with about 20 minutes left.

... and it's over, 2-0. Tremendous result for Rosenborg.

I only tuned in for the last half hour or so, and Lars had very little to do. His team did a great job of absorbing pressure and countering quickly, and had more chances to score in this last third of the game than did Valencia who were throwing everything forward.

Group B Pld Pts

CHL 3 7

RBK 3 4

VAL 3 3

SCH 3 3

Besides beating Valencia, Rosenborg are also the only team to hold Chelsea to a draw. I still think qualification for the knockout round is unlikely, but a third place finish and entry into the UEFA Cup could be in the cards.

People always mention how hard it is for teams to play in Russia, is it much the same for teams playing in Norway? I know Rosenborg is anything but a great team and I would guess not as good as a Russian team. But they did beat Valencia, they might just be able to hang onto the second spot if their luck holds. At the least they should be capable of scraping into the UEFA Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

People always mention how hard it is for teams to play in Russia, is it much the same for teams playing in Norway? I know Rosenborg is anything but a great team and I would guess not as good as a Russian team. But they did beat Valencia, they might just be able to hang onto the second spot if their luck holds. At the least they should be capable of scraping into the UEFA Cup.

I've just seen the goals and a short highlight of the game but Valencia looked shockingly bad. Canizares was acting like a clown at the first goal trying to save a shot with his foot instead of his hand which didnt work obviously. And the second goal was just as sloppy. Defenders just switched off when Rosenborg took a corner.

I still believe Rosenborg havent got a chance of getting to the Uefa Cup or CL second round. They still have to travel to Schalke and Valencia and play Chelsea at home. It's just too much. Having 4 points is already a magical result...:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived