Saputo Stadium construction pictures

Daniel

the stands look a bit like a much, much nicer and slightly more permanent version of the temp stands we saw in Vancouver and Victoria for the u20's. But I'm sure come game day, as long as the stands are filled it will look like, and be a great little stadium which is really all that matters.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, the Saputos should be an example for the development of the game in North America. They are showing the rest of the continent how to work with a small budget, in an era where people try (too) hard to find funding (public, for the most part) to build $150-million state of the art stadiums. It costs exactly 10 times less than projects like Philadelphia's.

I wonder what will happen to those "state of the art" facilities when and if MLS really becomes popular and sees stadiums capped at 20,000/25,000 seats. Saputo stadium is expandable and two of the existing stands (as well as the one projected to reach 18,000 seats) can easily be removed to make place to bigger/better stands. I wonder if the same can be said in Philly, Chicago and so on... Sure the stadiums look nice, but it's gonna be a pain in the ass expanding them if need be. But hell, it's the US, they can always destroy the stadiums and build new ones in their parking lots. Blowing up stadiums is a popular sport, it seems.

I don't know much about grass fields maintenance, so I wouldn't know if it's odd or not, but they seem to have removed the protective tarp covering the field at Stade Saputo in the middle of February (Feb. 19 to be precise).

visitestade.jpg

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

The last stadium I went to was White Hart Lane. The neighborhood isn't fit for a hooligan, we were lined up at the train for ages just to get back to Seven Sisters which isn't exactly the most central stop in London, you nearly lose a nut getting through the aging turnstiles, if there were ever a fire you'd be dead, the limited toilets aren't fit to vomit in, and try getting a lager at the half. Forget about it. And don't even get me started on old Maine Road, the last English stadium I visited. I bet Iraq has "nicer" stadiums. But, is that the point?

Anfield is ugly as sin from the outside, the neighbourhood is not much better, it has no decent services for the players even: you walk through the parking lot and there are those Ferraris (okay, just that one with a Polish plate, but he's gone) you can touch or get drunk and vomit on. The little shrines to Shankly and stadium violence victims are hokey. It is not particularly noble or inspiring.

Inside is nice though.

Most of what I just said could apply to San Mamés in Bilbao for example, looks like a Canadian Tire outlet on the outside, and this is the place they call La Catedral in Spain. Inside, once again, is old and outdated but breathes football.

The only thing that bugs me about stadiums in like this one is the incapacity to curve a corner. Are our engineers and architects really that inept and fearful they can't contemplate a successful curve? Are they afraid, if they start on either end, that the curves won't meet up?

"The only thing that bugs me about stadiums in like this one is the incapacity to curve a corner."

Got nothing at all to do with incapacity (sic), has everything to do with keeping initial costs down. Straight lines are much less costly than curves.

In North America, we have the idea that we have to build a stadium from scratch all in one complete go. Most European football clubs have developed their stadia over time as the need has arisen, most with four seperate, free-standing stands. In that sense, Stade Saputo is just fine. The pitch is the most important thing. The stands surrounding it can be upgraded as necessary. Another poster alluded to this ability above. If the Impact go MLS in three years' time, it's a simple matter of increasing capacity by adding a new stand in the open end. If a further five years down the line, the club are going well in MLS and there is demand for greater capacity, the no-frills stand the opposite touchline to the main stand can be replaced with a larger, more permanent stand. Need more capacity in another ten years? No problem, down goes the basic stand at one or both ends to be replaced by a new, modern stand. It has worked for a hundred years at places like Old Trafford, Anfield, and Upton Park. Why wouldn't a smart businessman like Joey Saputo use the same model in Montreal. This way he doesn't risk taking a bath by building a massive, expensive stadium that ends up being far more than what he needs.

quote:

Anfield is ugly as sin from the outside, the neighbourhood is not much better, it has no decent services for the players even: you walk through the parking lot and there are those Ferraris (okay, just that one with a Polish plate, but he's gone) you can touch or get drunk and vomit on. The little shrines to Shankly and stadium violence victims are hokey. It is not particularly noble or inspiring.

That was definitely one of the big schocks of my life... seeing that Anfield was the centrepiece of a rundown, boarded up ghetto. Beautiful once you're inside tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you can just walk right up to the fence and look at the stadium. You can walk around it (there might be a lot of snow though) and see it from different angles.

They've already made the move to their new office building so the path should be clear of snow if you come from Sherbrooke street and down to the main building.

Enjoy. Please report on the private boxes status if you can. They should be almost complete by now.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

yup. See you there hopefully.

I tried sending you an email, but it bounced.

I can't seem to change mine to something that works either.

sugarengine @ gmail.com

Or just call me 514 559 2881

From what I know tickets to the Montreal-Vancouver game are not on sale as yet, only season tickets and they are selling well.

Had the chance to vist the main Saputo Stadium building and must say it is quite nice. Not that big, but all is there. They have a VIP room which has floor-to-ceiling windows on 2 sides that overlooks the field/stands. Pretty impressive view. Lots of snow on the field though!

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I question whether in a longer season in the MLS than the USL-1, if real grass can work in Saputo Stadium

I don't see why not. Another 2 months isn't a big deal, it's just grass, other cold places in other countries can do it.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I guess if Montreal gets into the MLS, they will be spending the first few weeks on the road generally otherwise we may get Canada-Estonia like matches there.

I question whether in a longer season in the MLS than the USL-1, if real grass can work in Saputo Stadium

Give it a couple of weeks to warm up, and if you clear the snow (which isn't being done now), then you're ready to go. Starting 2-3 games on the road isn't a big deal (as MLS games are more spread out). They have 6 this season to kick off the season!

Last weekend I had a chance to check out Saputo stadium for myself as I went over there with Speedmonk. This weekend I was at Crew stadium in Columbus so I have had a chance to compare the facilities of SSS's in TO, Columbus and Montreal.

My opinion of the Mtl facility was somewhat positive at first. But then as we walked around in stands a bit it changed somewhat and now that I have seen Crew stadium, a stadium that was supposedly built on "the cheap", I have to concur with the critics that its a "C level" facility. So rather than thinking Saputo stadium was "Good value for the money", I now think that it is that this is further proof of the notion that you really get what you pay for. And it is indication that the planners in Montreal may have not listened to fans and understood what REAL soccer fans want.

What I dont like:

1) I noticed when I was climbing the stairs in the main stands that They are not steep enough and the result is that if you are in the back row, you are still quite far from the action and your sight line is poor.

2)As I looked across the field, regardless of being at ground level or in the back row of the grand stands, that opposing stands looked very far away compared to BMO field or even Crew stadium. Its as if they didn't learn their lesson from what was wrong with Claude Robillard stadium. Its may be an improvement from that track at CCR but nowhere enough to make it ideal. I don't see how you can blame costs on this one but rather poor planning.

3) Its pretty obvious where the expansion of the facility is going to occur. Its going to be in the west end where there is presently nothing but ugly open space. Looks like planners went into this with no intention of ever adding a second deck and that is very unfortunate because from a vantage and aesthetics, soccer fans in Montreal will never know what they're missing. Though my season tickets at BMO are in the supporters section, I did sit in the upper deck during the U20's and other occasions last year plus, I was at the upper deck in Columbus this weekend. And the view up there ( for a rightly configured stands) is the best, by far, to see a soccer game.

4) Looks like there wont be an outside facade to add any esthetic or architectural value. Much like Crew stadium, CCR and a host of other USL facilities, the outer facade consists of fence and that looks bush league and more resemblances of a high school facility than a professional sports stadium.

As I said earlier, it shows that Crew stadium was built on the cheap and not as nice as BMO field but at least from the inside when your watching a match, it looks somewhat like a professional facility because its enclosed. Whereas Saputo Stadium looks like it was built for the USL or for high schools or CEGEPS to use for Football. I'll bet that is what they had in mind!. With its awfully open spaces ( which are far too wide apart)at the corners, the perimeter fences, flat stands and huge distances between teh stands the atmosphere is bound to be muted. I actually think that its a refurbishment of CCR rather than a new stadium. I have to wonder what was the point.

I may still change my mind when I get to see it when there is not 2-3 feet of snow on the ground and its construction is completed. But more and more I am thinking what was the point of it all and I now agree with Grizzly, that Saputo should have spend more and actually build something half decent. If Montreal gets MLS as we hope, it will be because of its strong fan support, Not because of this facility. Just my opinion.

Archived