Saputo Stadium construction pictures

Daniel

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> "Maybe if we tear down that big fat white elephant down the hill, ..., but leave the inclined tower intact."

What was it called again ... the big O or was it the big zero? I don't think they will ever get rid of it. A pregnant Jean Drapeau would come back from the dead and curse all who destroyed it.

Costs are king and if they got a great deal take it. What I am curious about is how is the mass transit at the new site? I assume since it is close to the blanc elephant it must have somewhat close proximity to the transit infrastructure. That is an important consideration.

To expand on what Montreal FC fan said, Viau station (the station on the other side of the Olympic Park than the one for Olympic stadium) is very close to Saputo stadium so the location is excellent as far as public transportation goes. It is on the green line which is the main metro line in Montreal. Unlike CCR which is a 10 minute walk (the distance to CCR is less a problem than the fact it is not apparent where the stadium is from the metro stop if you haven't been there before) you don't have to walk very far from the station to Saputo stadium and you can see the stadium when you get out of the metro. Obviously a best case scenario is a stadium downtown but given that that was not possible the Olympic stadium area was a pretty good choice accessability wise.

That is good to see. It is on a major transit line and near a well known, and somewhat expensive landmark, so it is a good site.

Nice to see they went with grass. I know TurfGrass is FIFA approved but I still think real grass or the fiber reinforced GrassMaster stuff is better to play on.

Looking good. Can't wait to see a second MLS squad north of the border.

Well done Montreal!

Privately owned facility, they don't have to make it pay for itself by renting it out to the local community and can limit the amount of usage hence control the wear and tear on the grass, unlike BMO Field which is publicly owned and under a bubble for months at a time. Makes a huge difference.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

That is good to see. It is on a major transit line and near a well known, and somewhat expensive landmark, so it is a good site.

Nice to see they went with grass. I know TurfGrass is FIFA approved but I still think real grass or the fiber reinforced GrassMaster stuff is better to play on.

Looking good. Can't wait to see a second MLS squad north of the border.

Well done Montreal!

Add to that a huge parking lot under the Big O and easily accessible by car for the people who don't live on the island (Higway 25 is not that far).

Just curious, but what kind of perimeter wall will the stadium have. From the pictures, it appears that the stadium currently is open to anybody to walk right onto the pitch. Will it have a Swangard-esque, lame perimeter fence with some kind of canvas/plastic device to block the view from outside, or will it have a proper wall with entry gates?

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Just curious, but what kind of perimeter wall will the stadium have. From the pictures, it appears that the stadium currently is open to anybody to walk right onto the pitch. Will it have a Swangard-esque, lame perimeter fence with some kind of canvas/plastic device to block the view from outside, or will it have a proper wall with entry gates?

I'm guessing none... The two new stands will be higher up.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Wasn't it revealed recently that the Impact will be putting up another grandstand at the open end now, instead of waiting for later?

I don't think anyone would radically change their construction plans while building something. Adding lots of people means you have add more of everything else too.

Not to mention the city permit office would probably shlt bricks or give birth to something large ugly and dead.

Ooops this is the V's.

What most people don't seem to realize is that the initial plans include the expansion. There's no need to change plans in order to expand. Besides, it's not like they would expand on an existing structure, they'll just add a structure on the open side (which is left open... for expansion, as you might have guessed by now). Expansion is not going to be a painful process, far from it.

Archived