Saputo Stadium construction pictures

Daniel

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does it seem to be behind? The season isn't starting until April and they don't usually play a home game in Montreal until May. Other than some interior work in the buildings (which I am sure was logically scheduled to be completed during the winter) the stadium is almost finished. The last I read about it the stadium was significantly ahead of schedule.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

How does it seem to be behind? The season isn't starting until April and they don't usually play a home game in Montreal until May. Other than some interior work in the buildings (which I am sure was logically scheduled to be completed during the winter) the stadium is almost finished. The last I read about it the stadium was significantly ahead of schedule.

How? Because all the reports I was reading throughout the year said the stadium was going to be ready by the 1st week in December. We're in the 2nd week and you can clearly see there is a bit of work left.

quote:Originally posted by boban1

How? Because all the reports I was reading throughout the year said the stadium was going to be ready by the 1st week in December. We're in the 2nd week and you can clearly see there is a bit of work left.

I would say it's pretty much ready: the seating, the pitch, the

team/corporate logos ...

All the interior stuff and some cosmetic touch-ups are admittedly

yet to come, but since it's only mid-December I would say they're

on schedule. I don't think any outdoor events have been planned

before March ...

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Looks great.

Now if we could only transplant that bathroom to BMO....

What do they have at BMO? Port-a-potties at the end of the stands?

Nothing could be worse than the "wailing walls" (urinal throughs)

at the old Winnipeg Arena. It was disgusting.:(

Even if the concrete stand looks like finished, about 1/4 of the seats must be screwed into place. The VIP rooms need to be finished.

the concret padding and fixtures for the Video/scoreboard will be done probably before Christmas. They will start painting the offices next week. Furniture will come in after the holidays and so on...

The office employees, will be in their new facility somewhere in January...

So no worry, by spring the stadium will indeed be ready!

Even if the concrete stand looks like finished, about 1/4 of the seats must be screwed into place. The VIP rooms need to be finished.

the concret padding and fixtures for the Video/scoreboard will be done probably before Christmas. They will start painting the offices next week. Furniture will come in after the holidays and so on...

The office employees, will be in their new facility somewhere in January...

So no worry, by spring the stadium will indeed be ready!

quote:Originally posted by redhat

What do they have at BMO? Port-a-potties at the end of the stands?

Nothing could be worse than the "wailing walls" (urinal throughs)

at the old Winnipeg Arena. It was disgusting.:(

Actually the BMO washrooms are quite nice, nicer than those they are building at Saputo. The only problem is that there are not enough of them and halftime lineups are large. Apparently they built the stadium without expecting it to be full for the majority events. It remains to be seen whether Saputo stadium has an adequate number of washrooms.

i think they built enough washrooms at BMO. The problem is they didn't think about the reality of soccer: that everybody decided to go to the bathroom at halftime.

if you walk around the stadium right before the game or any time during the game, there's no lineups. if you dare leave right at the half time whistle, it can be a long line.

they have way more washrooms than Saputo stadium though... under each stand. Plus they have concessions under each stand, which Saputo doesn't seem to have.... i guess nobody drinks or eats at games in Montreal ;)

hopefully they put some vendors under the stands because if you get 13000 people all walking over to one area for food and drink, that'll be a big prob.

13,5k existing + a matching stand of 2,800k = 16,3k.

Fill in two corners, build a slightly bigger stand, and you'll get the extra 1,700 to get to the minimum. And as we've seen, MLS isn't exactly rigourous about its stadium requirements (Seattle, KC, Dallas and Chicago in the past, etc.).

The past was the past. This is now and now the MLS will insist on a minimum of 18,000. The situation in KC where they will be playing in a largely baseball stadium is only temporary while their new stadium is being built. Chicago played for a couple of seasons in a high school football stadium while Soldier Field was being overhauled (they have since then moved to Toyota Park in Bridgeview), as did Dallas. And Seattle will play at the Seahawks stadium with seating capacity reduced to about 25,000 spectators, just the Revs do at Gillette Stadium. By all accounts, yes, the MLS is rigourous about its stadium requirements and they will only agree to allow teams to play in stadiums of less than 18,000 on a temporary basis. Remember, the MLS is trying to build itself, slowly but surely, into a major sporting product to sell not just to Americans but to the world, and image is everything.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

What I usually do is eat, drink and use the washroom before games even start at BMO. Once the game starts, I'd rather focus on the footy than have to juggle a chip butty and a beer. Given how hard it is just to navigate BMO's concourses at half-time, I wouldn't even think about going to a concession stand or a washroom at that time.

This is a profound post and provides a line of thinking that should be a model for everyone. Please take notice. For all those you still think the washroom question is important, answer this: why didn't you do that before you got in the car?

quote:Originally posted by Alex

You say image is everything but KC is going to play in a frickin minor league baseball stadium that sits what, 10,000?? Does one side not have a grassy hump for people to sit on? I just dont get it, even if it is temporary.

The key word being 'temporary', alright. Besides, where else were the Wizards suppose to play? Arrowhead Stadium, besides being too big for them is scheduled to undergo major renovations at the end of the NFL season and go on right through the summer of 2008, and playing in the nearest college stadium would have been cost prohibitive. A frickin minor league baseball stadium, while unpleasant from a soccer point of view, is a small price to pay when the payoff at the end of the road is a soccer specific stadium for the Wizards, thus fufilling another part of the MLS's master plan. 18,000 plus. And that would be PERMANENT.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This is a profound post and provides a line of thinking that should be a model for everyone. Please take notice. For all those you still think the washroom question is important, answer this: why didn't you do that before you got in the car?

I can just see the advertisement now at Saputo:

"Warning, please do not buy any drinks or hotdogs at the stadium. Our facilities cannot handle the output. Anyone caught needing to urinate or defecate will be removed from the stadium. We encourage you to leave the game early if the need arises."

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The irony of you assuming everyone is the same or should do things the same way, is kind of funny!

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

The irony of you assuming everyone is the same or should do things the same way, is kind of funny!

Well, one of us has misread Jeffrey's post. Could easily be me, but I thought Jeffrey's tongue was firmly in cheek here.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Well, one of us has misread Jeffrey's post. Could easily be me, but I thought Jeffrey's tongue was firmly in cheek here.

Yes I agree. Too much wine earlier! Sorry Jeffery!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived