Saputo Stadium construction pictures

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Still being built? Seattle has NO plans to play anywhere other than Quest Field. Supposedly, because they have such a great 'lease' agreement, nobody cares.

Well, except me of course.

Sorry I should have expressed "still being built" as imaginary

(ie. not going to happen anytime soon) .;) Why is Seattle's

bid acceptable? The ownership? Just dunno.

I guess Megas answered my question above ...

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

It's not a "lease"... the majority owners of the new Seattle franchise are the same guys who own the Seahawks and they also OWN QWest field. That means that they directly control all the revenue that will be generated from the games and don't have to pay rent. This is the same situation which exists in New England and why the MLS has so far accepted that situation and the one in Seattle. What they don't want is a situation like in KC or NY where the teams pay rent and don't get 100% of the revenue. So in that sense, Saputo is more than on the right track and as eluded to above Garber simply stated that the stadium needs to be bigger, he made no reference to any inherent lack of quality.

Whatever. I still think the Seattle situation smells. We've been spoonfed the small SSS model for years and then the Seattle situation is perfectly fine. QWest will still be an cavernous NFL stadium, unless its 75% full.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yes regardless of what one thinks of Saputo stadium the issue depends on how consistent MLS is. If they are fine with subpar or NFL style stadiums in other cities then the question of the quality of Saputo stadium is probably moot.

Exactly. KC is moving into a baseball stadium for the foreseeable future.

Saputo Stadium has the look. The only thing it is really lacking for a jump to the MLS is capacity.

I don't need some truss monstrosity that is all the rage right now.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I would agree that its a bit contradictory. In a way I feel that we have been lead to believe that the rationale behind the SSS requirements for new and existing franchises was based on things like fan appeal, marketing, integrity of the game etc. Now, it would be naive to suggest that $$$ doesn't factor into the equation. But still, I thought that those other factors also counted for something.

But the Seattle situation suggests that its all about controlling revenues and ensuring profitability. That tells you alot because what would happen if along comes a deep pocketed owner looking to buy into MLS? who owns his stadium that happens to be really crappy for soccer but is looking for a new stream of gate revenues. Its suggests that Garber might take him if it means playing on surface with football gridlines. Football gridlines on a pitch is a very poor way to sell the game to the purist who happen to be plenty full.

Guest speedmonk42

I wish we had 5 more in the country as well. We could certainly use stadiums like this in Canada. However, if I was MLS commish I wouldn't want 5 stadiums like this in my league.

The stadium is easily expandable but much more difficult to upgrade. You can't build a castle on sand. A cheap foundation is difficult to improve upon.

Didn't you tell me about a stadium you used to go to in Germany that had trees growing in the stands?

LOL!

See you in 6 weeks.

Guest speedmonk42

I wish we had 5 more in the country as well. We could certainly use stadiums like this in Canada. However, if I was MLS commish I wouldn't want 5 stadiums like this in my league.

The stadium is easily expandable but much more difficult to upgrade. You can't build a castle on sand. A cheap foundation is difficult to improve upon.

Didn't you tell me about a stadium you used to go to in Germany that had trees growing in the stands?

LOL!

See you in 6 weeks.

Guest speedmonk42
quote: Football gridlines on a pitch is a very poor way to sell the game to the purist who happen to be plenty full.

If those can be removed easily and cleanly it might be ok. I am not sure what they did in Vancouver but there were no football lines.

Guest speedmonk42
quote: Football gridlines on a pitch is a very poor way to sell the game to the purist who happen to be plenty full.

If those can be removed easily and cleanly it might be ok. I am not sure what they did in Vancouver but there were no football lines.

Seattle's stadium won't only have 9,000 people in it (or do people think that only Toronto is allowed to have huge crowd increases once they jump to MLS), and Qwest field is always gridiron line free until late sometime in August when NFL pre-season starts. With the jump to MLS they probably will remove the gridiron lines for MLS games.

I think people are missing the most obvious comparison amongst MLS stadia.

Crew stadium was built for under 30 million, and is arugably even more basic than Saputo would be (after the expansion).

Granted, it does seat 22K+, but many are bench seats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Crew_Stadium

Having been to BMO several times, I can honestly say I am jealous of Saputo...real grass and even more small and intimiate looking than BMO. (And the washroom situtation at Saputo could not possibly be worse than at BMO.)

Archived