Canadian International for 2006 .......

Winnipeg Fury

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Excellent stuff Cheeta!!!

I think we should send a prize to the winner. I can make a donation for it if we have a way to organize this (finding a prize idea, buying it and sending it to the winnner).

I'm going to for sure. I still like the embroidered cap idea and can manage that pretty easy on my meager wages but we'll worry about all this stuff in a few weeks.

Will NOT be taking donations outside of the 1 lager beer tax I'll be collecting from all the Voyageurs at Commonwealth next summer. And I WILL be collecting those lagers. Oh, yeah. I will collect...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We should plan a coup to overthrow Cheeta.

Just because.

I think we all know who's 1st against the wall when the revolution comes..

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I'm going to for sure. I still like the embroidered cap idea and can manage that pretty easy on my meager wages but we'll worry about all this stuff in a few weeks.

For a prize, I'll donate one of my half dozen Voyageurs scarves ;):(

1. Atiba Hutchinson

2. Lars Hirschfeld

3. Tomasz Radzinski

Though I'm not canadian I'll cast my vote as well having watched several canadians in action this season.. Atiba Hutchinson has done equally well in the Danish league as well as in Champions League, so in my opinion he must be the obvious 1st pick.. Without the help of Lars Hirschfeld Rosenborg would probably not have won the Norwegian Championship. Hirschfeld was also among the 3 nominees for the 'Kniksen award', as 'Goalkeeper of the year 2006' in the Tippeliga (selected by the players, coaches and officials in the Tippeliga).

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Not sure why Jon De Guz couldn't be counted, he is still eligable to play for Canada is he not?

1)Mckenna

2)Jon De Guz

3)Hutchinson

Some simple rules and procedures.

All players who are, as stipulated in FIFA laws, eligible to play for Canada at either the youth or senior level and have done so in the past can be considered for the Voyageurs International Player of the Year.

Seems a reasonable requirement for me, but am open to input for others who may feel different. This is our 1st time realy formulizing the process. In the past it's been more of a discussion point, and a wonderful one at that.

A Canadian passport isn't enough in the world of international football. Ask Hargreaves. Don't think he can carry any other type of passport but he's certainly shouldn't be eligable for the Voyageur International for 2006.

He's choosen St. George's Cross over the Maple Leaf but he's still Canadian and I'm assuming is proud to call himself such in all things other than football. Fair enough, we all have to chart our own course but this is a football award for Canada's international player of the year 2006. So no to England's Mr. Hargreaves and no to as yet uncommited players.

I'm encouraging everyone to vote for whomever they feel, whether that player is eligable or not the vote will count.

You'll also note the sexs haven't been seperated. Odviously the men have the advantage, being professionals and afforded media coverage as such. But who knows what the future holds?

quote:You'll also note the sexs haven't been seperated. Odviously the men have the advantage, being professionals and afforded media coverage as such. But who knows what the future holds?

Maybe I should have given a vote to Christine Sinclair? She would be on my top ten list for sure.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

A Canadian passport isn't enough in the world of international football. Ask Hargreaves. Don't think he can carry any other type of passport but he's certainly shouldn't be eligable for the Voyageur International for 2006.

Hargreaves can hold another passport, and I'm sure he does (a British one, as his Father is English and his Mother is Welsh). The grandparent rule by FIFA allows players to play for countries that either their parents or grandparents were born in, even if they have never set foot there.

Players can also gain citizenship and the passport of another country totally unrelated to their family history if they reside there long enough.

An example of this is Deco, for Portugal. He lived in Portugal for 6 years and then was given Portuguese citizenship. He now plays for Portugal instead of his birth Country, Brazil.

Hargreaves had the option of being able to choose to play for Canada, England, Wales, and Germany because of these rules.

I do though totally agree that he should not be considered, and nor should anyone else who is not a Cap tied Canadian International.

#1 - Hutch (he could make it a one-horse race next year - amazing talent yet to be fully realised at club/country level)

#2 - Cap'n Kev (must have maple leaf emblazoned on chest; plays and serves with passion....does anyone know if he actually has a maple leaf tattoo?)

#3 - Radz (may not always start at Fulham but is still a key element there and has shown a real commitment to nat'l pgm when in the past it was doubtful he'd ever pull on the red'n'white again)

Proud to make these selections.

Long-time reader, first-time poster

1. Hutchinson

2. Radzinski

3. McKenna

Hutchinson continues to improve and this vote is based on my view that Atiba is becoming a vital part of Canada's future success. This point is my tie-breaker; otherwise, Radz, McKenna and Hutch would have tied for first

1. Hutch (proved himself in champions league and has proven to be one of best players on one the best teams in europe.

2. Dero (besides leading the Cup winning MLS team, sinking chelsea and a quite a few more quality goals such as the half field chip)

3. David Edgar, although mckenna is clearly a better player and staple of our national team, I thought the progress edgar's made going from youth team, to reserves and through a bit of luck getting to the bench was really impressive. Plus his goal agianst brazil was a classic.

Archived