Canadian International for 2006 .......

Winnipeg Fury

We're (as in me) going to do something with this this year so if nobody objects, I'm gonna sticky this topic until lets say Boxing Day, so lets get the votes in everybody. That'll give everyone and anyone about three weeks yet. Tell your friends.

Unless the herd objects we're going to use redhat's point system. Seems pretty fair to me.

Was thinking of posting a cap to the appropriate fellow as an award. "Voyageaur's 2006 International" embroidered on it or something along that line. Something retro, Old School. School uniform cap, or an umpires cap or something along that line. Think Angus Young, just the hat. I'm not forking out for shorts. Give the man something to show the kids when he's older and brag to them that he knew the Voyageurs when there were no Voyageurs....

So in the great tradition of the Voyageurs (it's your idea you look after it), let's rock.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.Hutchinson

2.McKenna

3.Friend

I would place Jonathan Deguzman on there as well but seeing as he has never played for us I guess I can't. If we're going to send something out should we send him something as well to show we haven't forgotten about him and that we really do want him to play for Canada?

Okay, as of Dec 5 (12:59 EST), the Standings based on points:

1. Kevin McKenna (Cottbus) : 96 PTS

2. Dwayne de Rosario (Houston): 94

3. Atiba Hutchinson (Copenhagen): 85

4. Tomasz Radzinski (Fulham): 64

5. Rob Friend (Heerenveen) : 15

Voting is not yet over ...

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Rosenborg would not have recaptured the Norwegian league without Hirsch. The first half of the season they almost constantly had 2 first choice defenders out with injury, but he held them in it.

He would have made my top 3 had he played in some games with Canada in 2006.

Ditto as Mr bert. Now for 3 picks:

1. Kevin McKenna aka Kapitan Kev

2. Lars Hirschfeld for leading team back into first place.

3. Atiba Hutchison.

1. Atiba Hutchinson

2. Lars Hirschfeld (probably would be No. 1 if he was playing for the MNT)

3. Tomasz Radzinski

McKenna and DeRo I can't pick because their national team play has not matched their club play. It is maybe a bit unfair to pick Lars without him playing for the national team at all this year but his club play on a big team has been stellar this year.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

When is it over?

Going to let it run until Boxing Day. So everyone has until 12:01 AM (their local time) to get their votes in. Should be more than enough me-thinks. A real three horse race.

As an aside, while I feel you can vote for anyone you want, I think that we're going to have to limit the eligablity for Voyageur International of the Year 2006 to players who've been capped tied to Canada at either the senior or youth level and who are also still eligable to play for Canada.

So, no Jonathon de Guzman or Owen Hargreaves as two examples although they both carry Canadian passports.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Going to let it run until Boxing Day. So everyone has until 12:01 AM (their local time) to get their votes in. Should be more than enough me-thinks. A real three horse race.

As an aside, while I feel you can vote for anyone you want, I think that we're going to have to limit the eligablity for Voyageur International of the Year 2006 to players who've been capped tied to Canada at either the senior or youth level and who are also still eligable to play for Canada.

So, no Jonathon de Guzman or Owen Hargreaves as two examples although they both carry Canadian passports.

I go with:

1- Marcel DeJong

2- Adam Street

3- Jacob Lensky

:D

;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm still counting your 1st picks.

On a rough count so far, after 45 submissions;

Dwayne "Pwamme" de Rossario of Houston Dynamo 10-14-7 for 116 pts

Kevin "Big Kev" McKenna of Energie Cottbus 12-10-10 for 110 pts

Atiba "Hutch" Hutchison of FC Copenhagen 10-10-9 for 93 pts

Tomasz Radzinski of Fulham 10-1-7 for 67 pts

Lars Hirschfeld of Rosenborg 1-2-0 for 11 pts

Robert Friend of Heerenveen 1-1-1 for 10 pts

Paul "Diesel" Stalteri of Tottenham Hotspur 0-2-1 for 8 pts

Jonathan "Dutch" de Guzman of Feyenoord 1-0-0 for 5 pts*

Iain Hume of Leicester City 0-0-2 for 4 pts

Chris Sutton of Impact de Montreal 0-0-2 for 4 pts

Jamie Peters of Ipswich Town 0-0-1 for 2 pts

* Not eligable

P.S. After a little more thought, how does this sound. Will e-mail it about tomorrow afternoon if it's acceptable to anyone concearned. Any lawyers out there? Seem clear enough? Forget anything?

The Voyageurs, Canada’s completely unofficial national soccer supporters group are holding their annual, and completely unofficial, International Player of the Year voting in December and would like to invite everyone interested in Canadian soccer to participate. Voting will be open on the Voyageur website until Boxing Day and submissions are welcome to include a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice players.

The Voyageur’s International Player of the Year award is intended to recognize the Canadian player of 2006 who has achieved the greatest success’ at the club and international level for Canada over this past year.

Some simple rules and procedures.

All players who are, as stipulated in FIFA laws, eligible to play for Canada at either the youth or senior level and have done so in the past can be considered for the Voyageurs International Player of the Year.

This is an on-line poll and in order to participate voters must register with the Voyageurs. Only one user per IP (computer) address is eligible to vote in the poll. Additional submissions from the same IP address will be allowed at the sole discretion of the website administrator and all quires regarding this should be forwarded to such.

Voting submissions can be made on the main fan forum in the Men’s Canadian National Team and Players section under the topic, Canadian International for 2006. All submissions are public.

A point system is determined in calculating the value of submissions. First choice submissions receive 5 points. Second choice submissions receive 3 points. Third choice submissions receive 2 points. A player may appear only once as a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice per submission. A submission doesn’t have to include a 2nd or 3rd choice to be eligible.

The player with the highest aggregate point value will be declared the Voyageur International Player of the Year 2006.

Polling is open until Boxing Day 2006 (local time).

Archived