League 1 Ontario 2024

Last year there were 21 teams. Pickering fc is returning, taking Electric City’s spot but will play in the championship. That means the Woodbridge Strikers get a premier spot, which leaves 12 teams in premier and 9 in the championship. Who will be the 10th championship team? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 3:25 PM, Rocket Robin said:

2024 Canadian Championship draw was today and suddenly there's a ranking system.  

MLS Toronto FC gets to host Simcoe County Rovers at BMO Field (higher rank team gets to host) for their one game in April or May.  After that the next rounds are home and away until the final.  

I'm looking forward to your L1O updates again this season.  I don't think Simcoe is going to go anywhere against TFC but I'm very curious about their travelling support.

On 2/26/2024 at 7:49 AM, Kingston said:

I'm very curious about their travelling support.

My wife and I will be going from Barrie to Toronto for this one. I find it rather more aggravating to drive to BMO Field than to THF in Hamilton for Forge matches even though BMO is 100 kms and THF is 150 kms. Maybe the Rovers will organize some buses to transport fans for the game?

15 hours ago, RickC said:

My wife and I will be going from Barrie to Toronto for this one. I find it rather more aggravating to drive to BMO Field than to THF in Hamilton for Forge matches even though BMO is 100 kms and THF is 150 kms. Maybe the Rovers will organize some buses to transport fans for the game?

Not sure what it's like from Barrie, but when we come in to Toronto for sports from Kingston it's pretty handy and inexpensive to drive to Oshawa and catch the Go Train from there.

23 hours ago, RickC said:

Take the Go downtown, works great between Toronto and Barrie or drive to the north end of the TTC. 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:23 PM, Cblake said:

Take the Go downtown, works great between Toronto and Barrie or drive to the north end of the TTC. 

Problem with Barrie line, IIRC, is that it's far less frequent than the Lakeshore lines. Driving in for games in Toronto from Oshawa is very easy because trains run until past midnight. Not the case the last time I checked the Barrie line, especially not on weekends. I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 5:48 PM, narduch said:

All L1's should have a Cup and the winner gets a Voyageurs Cup spot

I think it is only justifiable in Ontario, and maybe Québec, in BC there are too few teams. 

I would not mind, however, seeing any L1 getting an extra spot if any of their representatives can beat a superior level opponent, or however they want to qualify an extra team based on rankings.

I am not sure if we can talk about League2 Ontario in here, but I have a question. The league runs as 2 conferences, consisting of 'B' or '2' teams, plus expansion sides. At the end of the season, the top team from each conference and the best 2nd place side compete in a knockout to determine who gets promoted.

My question is this: What happens if all 4 teams in the playoff are 'B' or '2' teams? My understanding is, only expansion sides can get promoted.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:28 AM, EnigMattic1 said:

I am not sure if we can talk about League2 Ontario in here, but I have a question. The league runs as 2 conferences, consisting of 'B' or '2' teams, plus expansion sides. At the end of the season, the top team from each conference and the best 2nd place side compete in a knockout to determine who gets promoted.

My question is this: What happens if all 4 teams in the playoff are 'B' or '2' teams? My understanding is, only expansion sides can get promoted.

I don't know but I'd guess that no one gets promoted that year.

5 hours ago, rydermike said:

They mentioned at launch that B teams can get promoted to the Championship, provided that the A team is in Premier (A and B can't be in the same division)

Yeah you can get promoted up , but never as a high as your first team, also you are relegated automatically if the first team comes down. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:17 PM, Cblake said:

Yeah you can get promoted up , but never as a high as your first team, also you are relegated automatically if the first team comes down. 

Exactly the same as in other leagues with B teams, like in Spain, Germany. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 3:21 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly the same as in other leagues with B teams, like in Spain, Germany. 

So if a B team gets force-relegated, I assume some lucky team gets a bonus promotion?

Has there ever been a case where the A team got demoted at the same time as the B team got promoted ahead of them?  :)

Edited by Kingston