League 1 Ontario 2024

42 minutes ago, Kingston said:

So if a B team gets force-relegated, I assume some lucky team gets a bonus promotion?

Has there ever been a case where the A team got demoted at the same time as the B team got promoted ahead of them?  :)

Cheers, I love this sort of stuff.

I am pretty sure it has happened but not from 2nd to 1st division, just can't find the examples.

What we have seen in Spain is the first team goes down to second division, and the B team promotes, from third into second. Then the B team is put back where it came from, happens a lot, because you can't compete against your own B team, the promotion is null and void.

This happened when Deportivo Coruña relegated in 2018 and their B team played the promotion playoffs into 2nd division. They let them continue to play them, with the first team relegated, because technically, until 30 June, nothing is official--because all clubs have financial obligations to fulfill and if they don't, that could cause adjustments to what division you are in. This also happened when Sporting Gijon relegated from top flight and the B team promoted into 2nd division, not long ago. Quite the mess: you could promote winning a playoff then not be allowed into that division, and the loser of your playoff would get the spot.

What you are asking about bonus promotions, definitely; and there are also "bonus" relegations. I think the rule in Spain, if a spot opens up, is what I said: a team that lost the final of the promotion playoff can still promote. Not teams directly relegated in the league table. 

This also happens when the strictly regional tier division are promoting into national divisions. In Spain the 5th tier is all provincial, a division per province (called autonomous communities here). So if a lot of them promote into 4th, through the playoffs, they don't save the relegated teams, but allow more teams from the 6th tier to fill in the spots in the provincial 5 tier (as I write this I realize it is close to unintelligible).

Also, if more teams from a single region relegate out of 4th tier, into their single provincial 5th tier division, that would force more bottom dwellers down. Basically, you could avoid relegation in the league table and be fine, but because of compensations, to make way for teams relegated from above, you could eventually relegate--even weeks after the season ended. 

The whole business of "compensations" is a nightmare for teams that celebrated not relegating on the last day of the year, and end up relegating anyways.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite interested in how the new Sudbury team will do as the first northern Ontario team in the league.

They seem to be taking things more professionally than many of the teams.  At the moment, only season tickets are available at a cost of $110 for eight games (which I assume means it includes the first round of the L1 Cup).  That's $13.75 per game at the reduced season ticket rate so I suspect the single game tickets will be at least $15 if not $20.  That's a pretty solid ask for a team which is so far down in the league structure for Canada considering I can get a cheap CPL ticket in Ottawa for $15.  So I appreciate their effective statement of "we are treating this professionally and our product has value".

On 4/17/2024 at 8:00 AM, Kingston said:

I'm quite interested in how the new Sudbury team will do as the first northern Ontario team in the league.

They seem to be taking things more professionally than many of the teams.  At the moment, only season tickets are available at a cost of $110 for eight games (which I assume means it includes the first round of the L1 Cup).  That's $13.75 per game at the reduced season ticket rate so I suspect the single game tickets will be at least $15 if not $20.  That's a pretty solid ask for a team which is so far down in the league structure for Canada considering I can get a cheap CPL ticket in Ottawa for $15.  So I appreciate their effective statement of "we are treating this professionally and our product has value".

To add to this, the L1 Cup game on April 20th was pushed hard at the Wolves OHL game last night. Posters all over the arena, ads on the scoreboard, and an announcement by the P.A. announcer.

Result and details of the Sat Apr 20/24 League1 Ontario Men's Cup game between The Borough FC and Pickering FC played at L'Amoreaux Park in Scarborough.  First ever L1O game for The Borough and first for Pickering in two years.  
I also have post game interviews with both head coaches.

Result and details of the Sun Apr 28/24 League1 Ontario Men's Premier Divisison game between Vaughan Azzurri and Simcoe County Rovers
played at NMRP. Includes post game interview with SCR head coach Zico Mehredy. Yes I ask him about the TFC game. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports24/24l1o018.htm