League1 BC 2024

4 hours ago, Raven said:

Burnaby Football Club to play in League1 BC

https://www.league1bc.ca/news_article/show/1299356

Curios/disappointed that they'll be playing out of BLSCW. As far as I'm aware, there's no possibility of segregating any of the pitches to allow them to charge on the gate. If they want to do this right, I'd expect them to be able to charge a small entry fee and also drum up some F&B sales, then use that revenue to grow a sustainable semi-pro senior football program. I guess Swangard would currently be the only pitch in Burnaby where that would be a possibility, though. Wonder if they have a future plan.

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Curios/disappointed that they'll be playing out of BLSCW. As far as I'm aware, there's no possibility of segregating any of the pitches to allow them to charge on the gate. If they want to do this right, I'd expect them to be able to charge a small entry fee and also drum up some F&B sales, then use that revenue to grow a sustainable semi-pro senior football program. I guess Swangard would currently be the only pitch in Burnaby where that would be a possibility, though. Wonder if they have a future plan.

Maybe they could tarp the fenced pitch next to Sinclair Centre at BLW But it would be pretty makeshift and too tight and very Mickey Mouse. That's where the Caps run their pre academy, and I believe they just redid the turf.

Upper fields have some basic bleachers, a media tower, a scoreboard,and way more space for fans but, yah, no really easy to block things off, thats for sure. And mediocre turf.

Could rename it after Tony Waiters for his many years supporting the growth of Cliff Avenue, a predecessor of BFC.

Edited by nolando

It wouldn't be the only club tarping off a field, Altitude does it.

I'm not sure what gate is for most L1 teams, what % of total budget. But I imagine if you're a kid playing for one of the club teams, you're not paying. 

Then there are fully separated facilities where it's easy to charge where there's no real atmosphere (Victoria), you're a long way from the pitch. 

I'd like to know more about the economics of going in with a L1 club.

Sorry…..there was a policy that you had to change your indentity to join League1BC?

I’m guessing when LeagueOne Canada took over, that was the 1st change they implemented. Lots of traditional clubs in other regions of the country play in LeagueOne.

Edited by Raven

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Sorry…..there was a policy that you had to change your indentity to join League1BC?

I’m guessing when LeagueOne Canada took over, that was the 1st change they implemented. Lots of traditional clubs in other regions ont the country play in LeagueOne.

AFTN podcast who works with League1 BC said there has been a change in policy and expect some more announcements for the following season 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Canadian soccer desperately needs investment at every level. At the same time, raising the standards to make League1 more professional off the pitch will prove too expensive for some clubs and will result in situations like this.

Feels like a can't win scenario.

its unfortunate that they wont be in the league anymore but you just shouldnt have volunteer coaches at this level...its almost a disrespect with all the efforts they are putting in + calling yourself a semi pro league and having volunteer coaches is a bad look when there are amateur leagues with paid coaches

30 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Canadian soccer desperately needs investment at every level. At the same time, raising the standards to make League1 more professional off the pitch will prove too expensive for some clubs and will result in situations like this.

Feels like a can't win scenario.

L1Canada has restructured the Canadian soccer landscape for the better. 

• My hope is/was that L1C restructuring soccer will lead to much needed investment.
  • My fear is that without the potential for meaningful returns there'll be no meaningful investment. 

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

its unfortunate that they wont be in the league anymore but you just shouldnt have volunteer coaches at this level...its almost a disrespect with all the efforts they are putting in + calling yourself a semi pro league and having volunteer coaches is a bad look when there are amateur leagues with paid coaches

Doesn't appear to have stopped them from winning this league last season on the field of play, which is kind of what the sport is supposed to be all about. From what is being posted on Reddit the main sticking point may have been a new rule about needing to have $300k in financial reserves. That sort of requirement may help to explain why there hasn't been much progress in the Maritimes.