James Cameron (2005)

InglewoodJack

7 hours ago, gigi riva said:

The training he will get with these EPL clubs will serve him well. He is 18  years young, with very raw talent that needs to be harnessed, I think it will be wise if he returns to VFC 

That’s the plan apparently:

https://x.com/vanfootballclub/status/1720590108339122226?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

On 11/4/2023 at 5:59 AM, narduch said:

Vancouver FC also had 3 guys training at Huddersfield last winter.

This seems to be a policy of theirs 

Which is odd because I don't think Pacific players have been given the same opportunities by this ownership group 

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Yeah. Gazdov, Lajeunesse, Amedume, Binate. Plenty of others over the years 

The difference is they are not youth players, Cameron and Tahid are.  These two have a completely different market in Europe than the guys you mention at Pacific.  It’s precisely the the age group that each team in the CPL should be focusing on in order to make the league an exporting one.  

Apart from Gazdov, which of those guys actually play meaning minutes for Pacific and what level would you send them to in Europe?  

I personally like Lajeunesse and believe he’s more than good enough to be a regular starter at Pacific but again, at his age, with his professional minutes, which level would you send him to?  

15 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

The difference is they are not youth players, Cameron and Tahid are.  These two have a completely different market in Europe than the guys you mention at Pacific.  It’s precisely the the age group that each team in the CPL should be focusing on in order to make the league an exporting one.  

Apart from Gazdov, which of those guys actually play meaning minutes for Pacific and what level would you send them to in Europe?  

I personally like Lajeunesse and believe he’s more than good enough to be a regular starter at Pacific but again, at his age, with his professional minutes, which level would you send him to?  

Who were the 3 Vancouver sent last season. I don't think they were youth players or a similar profile to Cameron or Tahid, but they got the opportunities.

Regardless, Gazdov, Amedume and Binate have all been with the club for a while. There were absolutely opportunities to send them while still youth players. I guess they didn't have the fortune of racking up minutes on a paper thin squad though. 

Gazdov had a loan spell in Germany and Amedume in the US. They did well. None of them, or Sean Young/Hojabrpour etc were ever given training opportunities abroad to showcase their abilities though.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Who were the 3 Vancouver sent last season. I don't think they were youth players or a similar profile to Cameron or Tahid, but they got the opportunities.

Regardless, Gazdov, Amedume and Binate have all been with the club for a while. There were absolutely opportunities to send them while still youth players. I guess they didn't have the fortune of racking up minutes on a paper thin squad though. 

Gazdov had a loan spell in Germany and Amedume in the US. They did well. None of them, or Sean Young/Hojabrpour etc were ever given training opportunities abroad to showcase their abilities though.

I’m not even aware that any went to Huddersfield to be honest.

But again, all those players you’ve mentioned are older.  Even if it was 2 years ago for Young/Hojabpour, they would’ve been the same age as Gazdov, Amedume, Binate etc now..   and the question remains, what level would you send them to?  What is the market for those players? 

Really doesn’t matter how long these kids have been in the club, they are not being used so they don’t have a market value.  What incentive is there for the receiving teams to bring them in?

2 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

But again, all those players you’ve mentioned are older.  Even if it was 2 years ago for Young/Hojabpour, they would’ve been the same age as Gazdov, Amedume, Binate etc now..   and the question remains, what level would you send them to?  What is the market for those players? 

Really doesn’t matter how long these kids have been in the club, they are not being used so they don’t have a market value.  What incentive is there for the receiving teams to bring them in?

Elliot Simmons, Nathaniel St. Louis, and Khalil John Wentworth 

https://northerntribune.ca/trio-of-vancouver-fc-players-training-with-huddersfield-town/

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't really hold up. Vancouver players that are older and less experienced have had offseason training/trials arranged for them. Pacific players like Hojabrpour and Young that were regular CPL starters at the same age as Cameron were not provided similar opportunities as far as I can tell. Gazdov as a starting GK at 19 as well. Based on the evidence, I fear there isn't the same level of commitment for Pacific players

57 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't really hold up. Vancouver players that are older and less experienced have had offseason training/trials arranged for them. Pacific players like Hojabrpour and Young that were regular CPL starters at the same age as Cameron were not provided similar opportunities as far as I can tell. Gazdov as a starting GK at 19 as well. Based on the evidence, I fear there isn't the same level of commitment for Pacific players

Those 3 they sent to Huddersfield are indeed awfully random.  I’m sure it was something where they were killing time before the inaugural preseason and we’re trying to create a buzz around some players (which were absolutely the wrong players).  And I imagine Huddersfield wasn’t impressed with them otherwise they’d probably still be working with the club on other players.  Or if anything, VFC and ownership quickly learned which types of players NOT to be sending on these experiences.

Young and Hojapour were playing every match at 18 years old?  I don’t think so… Young only appeared in 9 matches at 19 years old (400 mins) and become a starter at 20, and Hojapour is a year older than him.  

Gazdov is a good shout, especially for a GK.  Hopefully Pacific does continue to roll with him because maybe he can work his way back to some level in Europe.  But he also did 2 years on loan for a Bundesliga 2 team and if they wanted to keep him, he wouldn’t be at Pacific.  

Another thing to consider, is that none of these boys could even sign with English clubs unless they have (1) a UK passport and/or (2) they qualify under the GBE work permit points which they’ll never.  James Cameron has a UK passport and therefore is in a unique situation.

Tahid will be going elsewhere in Europe.

Cameron and Tahid have more value in a global marketplace than the boys at Pacific.  If you’re an owner, naturally you’re going to focus on them.  

Edited by Footyeh

It's one thing to pay, or have them pitch in, so your players can train with a team abroad, or a higher level; quite another if that team is paying (at least in part) for them to trial.

No need to overvalue paid perks that really aren't trials. Cameron being off season, in form, having played a lot, and with a passport, makes it easier for a club to take a look. 

Anyways, it is not easy to evaluate certain things in trials. The minimum technical quality, of course, and the pace. "He's a proper footballer". Fine. But a fullback is very hard to evaluate unless you are in game situations, it's also a position that isn't easily integrated into a training system.

The reason many clubs rely on game footage is because taking a trialist alerts rivals and could make signing harder.

Game footage, like how did they do vs Spain in the world u17s?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Young and Hojapour were playing every match at 18 years old?  I don’t think so… Young only appeared in 9 matches at 19 years old (400 mins) and become a starter at 20, and Hojapour is a year older than him.  

Pretty much. I think Hoja played more minutes than Cameron as an 18 y.o. I guess Young turned 19 before the season started but he was a regular starter his first season It was only 10 matches long due to COVID though. I don't know if Young has any other passport but I believe Hoja could get an Italian one. 

I didn't expect push back on this to be honest. It's just an observation that the same owners have sent 4/5 players from a poor Vancouver team in 1 season and 0 players from an annually contending Pacific team in 5 seasons. I hope there are reasons for this like COVID and passports rather than a disparity in commitment

Actually the 2nd half of the season Vancouver wasn't poor. I would argue that Vancouver were 3rd or 4th best team 2nd half of the season. The starting 11 to end the season had like a 75% turnover from the start of the season 

But just an honest question. Does Vancouver send someone to go on trial? Don't these players have agents? Cameron is likely to feature on our u20 team. He must have an agent 

What kind of hokey concept is that? Rob Friend is working the phones setting up trials for his players?

Edited by SpursFlu

When a player like Cameron, or even the 3 other VFC guys who went to Huddersfield go to trial in England, how does it work? Are they getting personal invites to train with the A team, or is it a case where these teams bring in several dozens of players to practice together in the hopes that one or two get a deal? In other words, if James Cameron is training with Luton Town, is it that the team wants to see how he plays with other LTFC players, or would they send out a notice to agents like "Luton is hosting trials on Nov 3rd, if your players are interested let us know" and then some CPL guys, USL, comparable leagues (New Zealand? Nicaragua? Ecuador? I dunno) all fly in and practice with each other with the coaches giving a few of them some sort of deal?

Basically, how exclusive are these trials? Is James Cameron going because teams see a future in him, or are teams calling in 75 James Camerons from across the world in the hopes that one of them is good enough to sign?

51 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

But just an honest question. Does Vancouver send someone to go on trial? Don't these players have agents? Cameron is likely to feature on our u20 team. He must have an agent 

What kind of hokey concept is that? Rob Friend is working the phones setting up trials for his players?

You'll notice I asked a similar question on the last page. I imagine the club the player is signed with would have to provide approval at the very least. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

When a player like Cameron, or even the 3 other VFC guys who went to Huddersfield go to trial in England, how does it work? Are they getting personal invites to train with the A team, or is it a case where these teams bring in several dozens of players to practice together in the hopes that one or two get a deal? In other words, if James Cameron is training with Luton Town, is it that the team wants to see how he plays with other LTFC players, or would they send out a notice to agents like "Luton is hosting trials on Nov 3rd, if your players are interested let us know" and then some CPL guys, USL, comparable leagues (New Zealand? Nicaragua? Ecuador? I dunno) all fly in and practice with each other with the coaches giving a few of them some sort of deal?

Basically, how exclusive are these trials? Is James Cameron going because teams see a future in him, or are teams calling in 75 James Camerons from across the world in the hopes that one of them is good enough to sign?

Good question. Rob Friend's experience in German makes me think he could  create more "exclusive opportunities"  for trials in Bundesliga. Not sure how well he's connected in England though.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

You'll notice I asked a similar question on the last page. I imagine the club the player is signed with would have to provide approval at the very least. 

Yah I'm sure Vancouver fc have to approve any trial or physical engagement with another club.. but securing the trial or drumming up interest. That shouldn't be Vancouver FC's job

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah I'm sure Vancouver fc have to approve any trial or physical engagement with another club.. but securing the trial or drumming up interest. That shouldn't be Vancouver FC's job

It could benefit the player and club (and potentially the agent if there's a sale involved). I don't know why they wouldn't all be involved in showcasing their talent and providing the best training possible 

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

At his age, and given he is still raw in many ways, Copenhagen or Motherwell would be reasonable steps. Though for my taste, and I have watched him in Langley, he is not even that level yet. 

I appreciate a club might take him on because of his age, but he still needs development.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At his age, and given he is still raw in many ways, Copenhagen or Motherwell would be reasonable steps. Though for my taste, and I have watched him in Langley, he is not even that level yet. 

I appreciate a club might take him on because of his age, but he still needs development.

Do we really need an immediate wet blanket draped over this situation?

I'm surprised but not surprised. His talent is a bit raw but I always thought he was advanced physically for his age and his mindset to engage physically were beyond his years. Kinda like but im not comparing. I remember trying to be cynical about Phonzie at 16 and then we could go in to 5050 balls with grown men and somehow always come out with the ball. That's what stood out for me with Cameron. He seemed a bit out of control at times, but he was always throwing his body around, going at 100mph. Not tentative in the least bit. Very combative 

I'm selfishly hoping he sticks around for 1 more year in Langley 

Edited by SpursFlu