Match Thread: July 14, 2023 - York United v Pacific

nash goes for the result and adds 7 U21 minutes...ends 0-0 and york has more games played than every other team with teams 4th-6th very close and 2 games in hand and york will now have to average around 138 U21 minutes per game...which is something like starting 2 U21s every game or starting 1 and subbing in 2

Pacific the more intense that 2nd half, to be sure.  But still a finish that sees 2 points evaporate, so a good result for everyone else in the league.

U21 minutes aren't some sort of unknown.  They're an on-field condition all teams have to face equally on the day.  Same as the playing surface, weather conditions, or officiating bias.  Deal with it.  Or don't, at your own peril.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Maybe it's because I follow Valour where for the last two seasons many of their U21s have been among their better players, but is it that hard to find a young player (21 isn't even particularly young for a footballer, especially in a third-rate league) that can contribute?

Isn’t it logical that many of the best Canadian players might be older than 21? Don’t players develop throughout their careers?

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I hate the rule. It lowers the quality of virtually every match

Because the quality is so clearly higher with the veterans? I've never perceived it.

The rule is excellent, imo, only they should require all teams to meet 50% by a certain point in the season, otherwise they are scamming the principle of the rule, which is meant to give aspiring players pros minutes.

I'd have 50% of the minutes fulfilled at matchday 21, 75% of the season. So they are not cramming them in during the final games.

If you are required to have those few guys, and they play, you can judge if they can handle it, and by mid season they've adjusted. Or not. So you go look at other prospects.

Any coach who can't fit a properly scouted and vetted u-21 into a team is a dunce.

As said, the quota is so low that it really should not be a problem and the teams not respecting it simply did not plan correctly. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because the quality is so clearly higher with the veterans? I've never perceived it.

The rule is excellent, imo, only they should require all teams to meet 50% by a certain point in the season, otherwise they are scamming the principle of the rule, which is meant to give aspiring players pros minutes.

I'd have 50% of the minutes fulfilled at matchday 21, 75% of the season. So they are not cramming them in during the final games.

If you are required to have those few guys, and they play, you can judge if they can handle it, and by mid season they've adjusted. Or not. So you go look at other prospects.

Any coach who can't fit a properly scouted and vetted u-21 into a team is a dunce.

As said, the quota is so low that it really should not be a problem and the teams not respecting it simply did not plan correctly. 

Yes, I think the quality is often better with more veteran players on the pitch. Pacific seem to move players that have aged out all the time. I don’t follow other clubs as closely, but I assume there’s a reason clubs struggle to make the quota when they’re trying to win

14 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Isn’t it logical that many of the best Canadian players might be older than 21? Don’t players develop throughout their careers?

A low-paid, low-level league like the CPL is exactly where you should expect to find developing young players. Guys in their prime should either be playing at a higher level, or if their prime-age ability is CPL level, should be thinking about other career goals.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

A low-paid, low-level league like the CPL is exactly where you should expect to find developing young players. 

Then there should be no need to have rules mandating a set amount of minutes for these players.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Guys in their prime should either be playing at a higher level, or if their prime-age ability is CPL level, should be thinking about other career goals.

Then why even bother having the CPL as a top flight Canadian league then?  Have it as an under 23 league and just be a development league. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

A low-paid, low-level league like the CPL is exactly where you should expect to find developing young players. Guys in their prime should either be playing at a higher level, or if their prime-age ability is CPL level, should be thinking about other career goals.

Sports careers are short enough at the best of times. I find it crazy that anyone could expect a player to retire to make way for someone younger and not as good. That should be demonstrated on the pitch  

We don’t have enough players at a higher level. That’s why we’ve needed this league so badly. I guess Waterman, Zator, Bustos etc should have pursued different professions?