Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guatemala - Saturday July 1, 2023 - 9:30 pm ET/6:30 pm PT

narduch

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Surprised Guatemala didn't go for it more. Not guaranteed that we  win by multiple goals, but they are in a tough spot to advance with their 1-0 against Cuba.

Agreed, but perhaps they fancy their chances to beat Guadeloupe more. Not sure if the also have a partisan crowd expected for their 3rd match

With the home field advantage frittered away, I expect that the Guatemalan version of the Voyageurs would be sounding more annoyed with their team - “Geez, even our best players with 100% fan support can’t beat a Canadian B team!”

51 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Both these games demonstrated just how thin Canada is at centre mid. Osorio and Fraser just not getting it done. To even be starting Fraser is eye-opening. I don't really get why he's even on the squad. Honestly, Borges and Bekker were more effective in their run against Central American squads than Fraser and Osorio have been in the last two games. I'm not going to declare Osorio 'past it' as many like to do, but he's clearly not having a good run lately, for club or country. During our qualifying run, CB may have been the weakest spot, but at this point, aside from Eustaquio, things are pretty bleak in the middle of the park.

Does it? Barring Osorio, we’re not even really seeing our B midfielders in this tournament, and they’re certainly not playing with much around them. If Eustaquio had played, the team would certainly be better, but it’s not like we’d suddenly be walking the group.

As I see it, the tier list of 6/8s is very roughly:

A - Eustaquio, Kone

B - Osorio, Choiniere, Kaye, Piette

C - AhmedLoturi, Fraser

D - Paton, Priso, Okello, Baldisimo, Teibert, etc.

Feel free to move players up and down at your discretion. I don’t particularly like that list as it’s presented, but I can’t be bothered to finesse it. I think I’m being particularly generous to Fraser for instance.

Bottom line is that this is not our second string. It’s a C midfield with one top 6 guy in it. No CONCACAF nation outside of USA and Mexico can get away with that at this level. 

The key thing Borges and Bekker had in their CONCACAF runs was familiarity with their teammates. Our C/D midfielders, for the most part, do not have that. It will take time, but it’s not all doom and gloom.

3 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Does it? Barring Osorio, we’re not even really seeing our B midfielders in this tournament, and they’re certainly not playing with much around them. If Eustaquio had played, the team would certainly be better, but it’s not like we’d suddenly be walking the group.

A - Eustaquio, Kone

C - AhmedLoturi, Fraser

Feel free to move players up and down at your discretion. I don’t particularly like that list as it’s presented, but I can’t be bothered to finesse it. I think I’m being particularly generous to Fraser for instance.

Bottom line is that this is not our second string. It’s a C midfield with one top 6 guy in it. No CONCACAF nation outside of USA and Mexico can get away with that at this level. 

The key thing Borges and Bekker had in their CONCACAF runs was familiarity with their teammates. Our C/D midfielders, for the most part, do not have that. It will take time, but it’s not all doom and gloom.

No Sean Young?

I know Loturi was good and got a nice move but I don't remember him being as effective in the CPL as Sean Young has been this year. What about Aparicio. I think he's a better player than Teibert

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

No Sean Young?

I know Loturi was good and got a nice move but I don't remember him being as effective in the CPL as Sean Young has been this year. What about Aparicio. I think he's a better player than Teibert

The list was never intended to be complete - only to illustrate how far down the depth chart Herdman has pulled from in this tournament.

Edited by footballfreak

7 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

The list was never intended to be complete - only to illustrate how far down the depth chart Herdman has pulled from in this tournament.

K cool.. I've been resisting throwing out would be players especially CPL players because of the all out arguments that would go down but Sean Young would have been nice to see

Edited by SpursFlu

On 7/2/2023 at 1:55 PM, footballfreak said:

A - Eustaquio, Kone

C - AhmedLoturi, Fraser

If we are talking about 6's and 8's then we only really have 2 spots per level. However, I do get the thought that some guys are within the same category but offer different skillsets. Heres my list prior to the GC (based on herdmans call ups). 
PRE GC
A- staq, Kone, Oso
B- Piette, Loturi
C- Ahmed, Fraser, 
D - Choiniere, Kaye, 
E- Priso, okello CPL guys etc. 

Post GC 
A- staq, Kone, Oso
B- Piette, bombito, ahmed
C- loturi, Fraser, 
D - Choiniere, Kaye, 
E- Priso, okello CPL guys etc. 

On 7/1/2023 at 9:05 AM, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

The Women and Men have different jerseys

On 7/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, Canuckia said:

I think the new shirts are only for the Women's World Cup.

I'll Rephrase. I suspect the current Women's Jersey IS our new Jersey, and therefor we won't be wearing them until after the WWC (in order for the Women to be the debutants). I guess we will find out tonight. If we wear White or Black then that's probably the case. 

9 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I'll Rephrase. I suspect the current Women's Jersey IS our new Jersey, and therefor we won't be wearing them until after the WWC (in order for the Women to be the debutants). I guess we will find out tonight. If we wear White or Black then that's probably the case. 

I would love you to be correct as I think the current women's red jersey is great, but I'm pretty sure we've already seen the template red jerseys that were given to the men for 2023-2024.

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

It was previously reported men will get a refreshed template this year (did happen) and then an actual new kit next year. 

Both Nike & adidas have shifted to having separate men and women kits as seen by the women/WWC focused designs for WWC 23. Though, Canada's kit is likely with the least ties to women/WWC.

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Oh is it? I didn't realize that. Nice! I've already got it.