Match Thread: May 20, 2023 - Valour v Pacific

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Can't be bothered with a full set of player ratings, but:

Good: Niyongabire, Gutierrez, Cela, de Brienne

Bad: Haynes, Polisi, Mzoughi, Williams.

Very bad: Sanchez, unfortunately. First game like this I've seen from him.

The rest indifferent.

We really need one offensive player to be a spark when they get subbed on. They need to contribute a goal now and then or at least set something up. Unfortunately, our bench gives us absolutely nothing.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

Can't be bothered with a full set of player ratings, but:

Good: Niyongabire, Gutierrez, Cela, de Brienne

Bad: Haynes, Polisi, Mzoughi, Williams.

Very bad: Sanchez, unfortunately. First game like this I've seen from him.

The rest indifferent.

Best: Niyongabire.  Created multiple scoring chances.  Seems to me they should have been attacking up the right side more often.  Stick with what was working!

Good: Cela, Baquero.  Cela has not been perfect but has done superbly considering the bad situation he was thrown into.  Called up from L1O into a back line that was/is ravaged by injury and for this game was their only healthly CB.  He has adjusted well and quickly to new teammates and systems.  Baquero thrown into CB mid game and was not a disaster -- great result under the circumstance.

Bad: Mzoughi.  Repeatedly got himself in trouble.

Ugly: More injury trouble.  Samaké unable to start.  Haynes hamstring.

I don't mean to pile on a guy that has played only a handful of minutes in two games, both times played out of position, coming back from injury, but if Haynes played the full 90 yesterday Pacific were getting more than the 1 goal. He had a nightmare of a time. The hamstring is a tough break for him, but when he comes back hopefully the rest of the team is healthy enough that Haynes can be used in a depth role to cover LB only.

Edited by jonovision