Match Thread: May 20, 2023 - Valour v Pacific

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Best: Niyongabire.  Created multiple scoring chances.  Seems to me they should have been attacking up the right side more often.  Stick with what was working!

I don't think it was attacking up the right side that was working well, so much as mixing in the occasional bit of direct play to Niyongabire. Slow moves up died the same death on the right as they did on the left. We saw the same last week vs Forge. I don't think they need to abandon their game plan, but introducing a bit more of the direct stuff/quick counter is a good way to take advantage of some of their most talented players.

Match could have gone either way.  Wouldn't be surprised if both sides don't feel a bit like this is one that maybe got away from them.  Doesn't matter now, it's a point each and no movement on the top three rungs of the ladder.  

Pacific supports must be feeling like this is their year.  Seen some or all of their matches in 2023 and to my eye they're looking as good a team as there is out there.  For all the scuzzyness in the 2nd half they're still a really disciplined side.  Not exactly their A Team yesterday but still very consistant in holding their shape.  Lot of understanding out there amongst a mix of less than familiar bodies. 

For all the injuries Valour is going through they're actually an encouraging side to watch.  They want to be positive, there is certainly some talent sprinkled about them and are also showing a clearly growing understanding within the ranks.  They're going to threaten goals.  Unfortunately right now that also includes at their end of the pitch but still, point stands.  They're going to surprise some sides.

No 50-50 yesterday.  Software was all buggered or something.  I never win shit anyway. 

OK crowd all things considered, probably smallest of the year but not by much which is a little positive in of itself.  May Long coming in after a late spring?  Good luck selling that one!

Speaking of the crowd, felt like it started a bit flat yesterday.  2nd half much better, usually is. 

So Young got MOTM.  Seems about right.  Put it all into that goal.  Still not convinced that strike didn't take a slight deflection before it rocketted past Yesli but even if it didn't that ball was coming in on target, and HOT. Sizzlin'....

Baskett had a couple of top saves.  Not busy but reliable to be sure and that bicycle kick by Wasi was very sharply saved.

Man, de Brienne got away with one didn't he?  Guessing the linesman saw it they way I did in the moment.  Flight of the ball didn't seem to change but the action on it sure did.  Took a few replays to sight it, for me at least. 

Awesome to see Bacquero back.  Had a few silly passes but mostly stepped right in where he left off.  Damned if he wasn't pressed into playing center half because of injury though.  Guess we should have all seen that coming.  It's been that sort of spring. 

A wee man came down into The Trench to request "Valour Road".  LOL.  Never thought I'd see the day.

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Pacific supports must be feeling like this is their year.  Seen some or all of their matches in 2023 and to my eye they're looking as good a team as there is out there.  

The team has been looking good but they've had some things give them a leg up to start the season - majority of games at home; few injuries; most of their spine was the same as last year unlike most teams. I'm tempering my excitement for the time being. Things will even out as the season goes on and there's always the risk of team from Norway coming along to buy your best players.