2024 Gold Cup

narduch

Wikipedia and CONCACAF.com says the Canada vs El Salvador game is at 9pm Eastern tonight, but One Soccer has on their schedule (all times Eastern)...
Pre Show: 8:08 pm
Game: 8:38pm
Post Show: 10:32pm

Very precise looking times, but not sure when it will actually start. The fact that they separated the pre and post game shows and that the game itself is slotted for less than 2 hours seems to indicate they believe the game is actually starting at 8:38. So be warned, if you show up to watch at 9pm, you might have missed 20 minutes or so of the game.

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

One Soccer schedule on Fubo has 830pm ET pre game and 9pm ET game time 

This stuff bothers me more as a guy in the software industry than as a soccer fan. Why do you have 2 (and likely, a lot more) different sets of schedule data?

Wow!

The quarter-finalists are ranked 1-8 by points/goal difference/goals from the group stage. The U.S. will likely finish fourth, possibly fifth if Colombia beats Puerto Rico by three goals. Either way, those teams will likely meet in a quarter-final. If Canada beats Costa Rica tomorrow, we'd almost certainly finish first and would potentially meet the winner of the U.S.-Colombia match in a semi-final. Potential quarter-final opponents would be Puerto Rico or any of the three teams in our group, but likely Costa Rica. It would be weird to play the same team in successive matches in a major tournament.

Still need to take care of business against Costa Rica in the group stage, though.

Dos a Cero. 

With Hayes signed, there was a noticeable shift to the kids. But in this match, they went back to the vets who played as listlessly as in last year's World Cup. They played 2 vets who were only injury replacements tells me the interim coach is stuck in the past and likely not on the same page as Hayes.

The U.S. women had not lost to Mexico since 2010, and hadn’t lost to any CONCACAF team at home since 2000 in 80 matches.

Both goals were bangers. Mexicans outnumbered Americans in the stands and brought unrivalled intensity and energy. Mexico looks to be back.

8 minutes ago, ShralpShralpShral said:

Do I have it right that if we win against Costa Rica today, and El Salvador beat Paraguay, then we would play Costa Rica again in the first round of knock outs?

Depends on the number of goals we score I think.

If we beat Costa Rica by 4 or more and El Salvador win, I think we play Puerto Rico.

If we beat Costa Rica by 4 goals, Costa Rica is eliminated for sure so we can't play them in the Quarter Finals. We would still have to wait for the result of the final game of the night to see if we play one of the other teams from our group though.

If we tie Costa Rica we would finish in either 2nd or 3rd (2nd if it's a tie with goals, if it's 0-0 it would go to Fair Play points with Mexico).

If we lose to Costa Rica by less than 4 goals we would finish 3rd. Lose by exactly 4 goals and we would be down to 5th, and if we lose by 5 or more goals we would be down to 6th (behind Costa Rica).

Too many permutations for me to bother trying to figure out who we would play against in each scenario though.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

If we beat Costa Rica by 4 goals, Costa Rica is eliminated for sure

I just realized this is wrong. If we beat Costa Rica by 4 goals, they could still finish in 2nd in our group if El Salvador wins by less than 5. We have to win 6-0 or more to eliminate Costa Rica before the final game... I think.

Not sure if this has been explicitly mentioned, but it is confirmed now that the winner of USA's quarter final will play the winner of Canada's quarter final. USA is currently in 4th which is as high as they can finish, and the lowest they can finish is 5th.

The bracket is set.

image.png.e86cd716563be752cf5aacde7663ae74.png

Half the teams left are from CONCACAF, and half from CONMEBOL. All 4 CONMEBOL teams in the group stage advanced. Canada vs Costa Rica is the only all CONCACAF match in the quarterfinals, and Brazil vs Argentina is the only all CONMEBOL match in the quarters. If Canada and USA both win their quarterfinals they would play each other in the semis, just like in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (just saying).

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

The bracket is set.

image.png.e86cd716563be752cf5aacde7663ae74.png

Half the teams left are from CONCACAF, and half from CONMEBOL. All 4 CONMEBOL teams in the group stage advanced. Canada vs Costa Rica is the only all CONCACAF match in the quarterfinals, and Brazil vs Argentina is the only all CONMEBOL match in the quarters. If Canada and USA both win their quarterfinals they would play each other in the semis, just like in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (just saying).

So how good has Colombia been? Could they take out the US? I know Caicedo is there but not sure if she's been playing well or not.

Not that I am against facing the US, since I think we have an accessible quarter final and can talk about semis. Maybe it is a good time to face the US, it is a weaker US than the last Olympics for example. But it'd be interesting to get experience vs. a rising nation like Colombia as well. 

What seems fair is that if we make the finals, we are favourites.

Yes, it's kind of weird. Would have been nice to face a different team.

This also happened in the 2021 Women's Rugby World Cup, which used the same format. Canada played the U.S. in their last group match then faced them again in their next match, the quarter-final. Canada won both matches.