2024 Gold Cup

narduch

On 2/27/2024 at 9:13 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The signs have been there since before the WC, the player pool is not as great it was, don't think. The way of playing has not advanced substantially. And I think that Hayes is not going to improve things, at least not that quickly. Because she is not a very innovative coach.

As a disclaimer, I have not seen any of these matches.  However, I have always been biased to the view that the Americans would always "out-athlete" the other teams in the end as oppposed to being a masterclass in tactical understanding and decision making.  Of course the irony in my statement is that on the first goal, the Mexican striker's pace badly exposed the American defender's slow execution and slow-footedness.  But at the moment, their program is at an important crossroads

Mexico has been on a roll under Lopez so that is great to see for the game in this region while the Americans have to face a talented Colombian side clearly on the rise.  Now the rubber meets the road.

16 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

As a disclaimer, I have not seen any of these matches.  However, I have always been biased to the view that the Americans would always "out-athlete" the other teams in the end as oppposed to being a masterclass in tactical understanding and decision making.  Of course the irony in my statement is that on the first goal, the Mexican striker's pace badly exposed the American defender's slow execution and slow-footedness.  But at the moment, their program is at an important crossroads

Mexico has been on a roll under Lopez so that is great to see for the game in this region while the Americans have to face a talented Colombian side clearly on the rise.  Now the rubber meets the road.

FWIW, 8 of the 15 Mexican players that saw the pitch were American. Actually less than I thought it would be, but it is still something. 

17 hours ago, Soro17 said:

FWIW, 8 of the 15 Mexican players that saw the pitch were American. Actually less than I thought it would be, but it is still something. 

But with a successful Spanish women's program coach now in charge:  the game is at an entirely different level now.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

But with a successful Spanish women's program coach now in charge:  the game is at an entirely different level now.

I'd forgotten about him. He's only really coached women's youth in the Spanish national team, I don't know if he has his own ideas. Or is any good. They just express themselves in the terms of the senior coach, so he mirrored Vilda. 

It's be interesting if he's successful because it's hard to think the player pool rivals the US or even Canada.

Canadian women forwards are asking their full back teammates: “Will you DEFEND our title at the Olympics this summer?“

FB teammates roll their eyes:”You already owed us one.”

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sad to say it, but I'm not sure Lawrence deserves the honour this time.

It would have been cool to fit Lacasse in there somewhere.

Lawrence now seems to take it easy against the minnows. But had her best performance against the US when everyone was actually watching. Unlike Buchanan, Lawrence also gets good reviews at Chelsea from pundits & supporters. While Hayes likes to mix & match players every which way, Lawrence has managed to be part of Hayes best 11ish all season.

Based on post tourney debriefs from American/British podcasters, no Canadian player was notable but players oft mentioned were Gilles, Lawrence & Smith. All were most pleased about Priestman finally shifting Canada away from it's catatonic playing style.

The tournament was half over before I remembered Lawrence was on the team. She was just invisible I thought. The rest of the tournament I remembered she was there but didn't see her do much of anything notable. I don't know how Rafaelle and Bernal did, but Jade Rose would be a top 3 performances for me from Canada (along with Leon and Flemming).