2024 Gold Cup

narduch

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Montagliani again and again and again with these trash formats...instead of a simple 16 teams with 4 groups of 4 and top 2 of each advancing to quarter finals he says no way, we are going with 15 teams and 3 of them will go home after 1 game

Concacaf announces dates and format for inaugural Concacaf W Gold Cup

The format isn't great; 16 teams made things look so simple.

I get what they are trying to do though. This format gives the League B teams a chance at the big stage.

The move away from the summer is a little sad but it makes sense given the Olympics and the Men's Copa America.

Edit:

Draw is Wednesday, May 17th. Interesting.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

But presumably we'd play friendly matches against higher ranked opponents.

Yeah, I understand that. But I was assuming Nations League would be a trophy opportunity. They don't even mention any kind of playoffs at this point, so it's just a disappointing competition.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Road to Gold Cup League A draw was released. Canada only involved if we lose to Jamaica in September and thereby miss the Paris Olympics. Group winners advance to the Gold Cup. 

The second-place finishers and the first-place finishers in 3 League B groups will advance to the 2024 Concacaf W Gold Cup Prelims.

League B groups are led by Guyana, El Salvador & Domican Republic. League C groups are led by Belize, Cuba, US Virgin Islands & Curacao. 

Edited by red card

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

There will be 12 teams (3 groups of 4 teams).

If we qualify on Tuesday (which looks very likely) based on current rankings, there would be 3 seeded teams

USA, Brazil, Canada

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women?dateId=ranking_20230825

Colombia, Mexico & Jamaica could be in Pot 2

Paraguay in Pot 3 perhaps. 

Sorry, I am a bit lost on this: so apart from a Gold Cup for women, there is also Nations League for women in Concacaf?

I find it odd they'd take the step up with both at the same time, why not just do one, then after a few years then the other?

And considering that the Olympics for the women is a full senior tournament, the 2nd most prestigious in the world even over the women's Eurocup, that means 4 trophies on the go every 4-year cycle.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, I am a bit lost on this: so apart from a Gold Cup for women, there is also Nations League for women in Concacaf?

The current cycle of the Nations League serves as qualifiers for the Gold Cup.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

in the world even over the women's Eurocup

I guess this allows the women to have something similar (albeit smaller) than the Euro. Especially if CONMEBOL Nations are invited.

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The current cycle of the Nations League serves as qualifiers for the Gold Cup.

I guess this allows the women to have something similar (albeit smaller) than the Euro. Especially if CONMEBOL Nations are invited.

I think they should consolidate a Gold Cup first and then think about Nations League. Playing for a trophy every year seems silly.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think they should consolidate a Gold Cup first and then think about Nations League. Playing for a trophy every year seems silly.

So far they don't have a Nations League Final like the men's side does.

It isn't clear yet either how frequent the Nations League will be. They haven't given any clues about the next edition.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So far they don't have a Nations League Final like the men's side does.

It isn't clear yet either how frequent the Nations League will be. They haven't given any clues about the next edition.

Wow I'm totally clued out. So Nations League is just a qualifying tournament and to establish tiers and pots?

Sorry, I'm a bit saturated and haven't spent time looking at it.

I didn't even like it for the men because of how it tied up so many fixtures, but now we don't have to qualify it ensures a minimum. But that was never a problem for the women, we'd do better to play vs teams from other confederations.

• 1 month later...

As @narduch posted, San Diego will host the final match of this tournament.

There is additional info here:

https://www.concacaf.com/w-gold-cup/news/snapdragon-stadium-awarded-2024-concacaf-w-gold-cup-final/

- The draw will be Monday, Dec 11th at 7pm EST/ 4pm Pacific

- USA, Canada and Brazil will be the seeded teams, so Pot 1.

- Pot 2 will have the best ranked CONCACAF teams that qualify directly to the main event.  (Probably Mexico, Haiti or Costa Rica and the winner of the Panama/Guatemala/Jamaica group)

- Pot 3 will have Colombia, Argentina and Paraguay.

- Pot 4 will have the teams that make it through the Prelims

Canada is seeded into Group C; this means we likely play on the last day of the group stage, which runs from February 20th to 28th. This would be Thursday, February 22nd , Sunday, February 25th and Wednesday, February 28th.

• 3 weeks later...