Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

Maybe the league needs to narrow the gap between the salary cap and the salary floor and either force Wade Miller to spend more or reign in Bob Young, Atletico and the Spruce Meadows people a little bit because it does look a little like some of the old CSL clubs that you could tell were in a death spiral. Ironically, back then the Fury were never in that category until the CNSL season in 1993.

3 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Can’t help but feel like the team is hanging and waiting to move or fold as of late. Really need to make some significant changes but I am really not sure what they are or how to get there. Really sucks being a Valour supporter. 

I've seen small steps (not large enough) from the marketing and game day experience side of things that suggest that WFC is thinking of actually giving it a proper try. It's the soccer operations side where they are not being provided with the resources required to succeed.

57 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe the league needs to narrow the gap between the salary cap and the salary floor and either force Wade Miller to spend more or reign in Bob Young, Atletico and the Spruce Meadows people a little bit because it does look a little like some of the old CSL clubs that you could tell were in a death spiral. Ironically, back then the Fury were never in that category until the CNSL season in 1993.

Yup.

As much as people like the idea of having a flagship team that others can measure themselves against, another Forge win this year would be bad for the league. Having all but one of your titles in a 5 year old league held by the same team, and half the teams having no real success of any kind in a half a decade is what it is in a sporting sense, but it is no good for developing a community of support around those teams.

No match preview article on the Valour site. I guess Ed Tait has given up on the season just like the rest of us.

The league preview does have this detail:

Valour meanwhile are returning to full health, with Matteo De Brienne finally getting back in the XI last weekend, so they’ll feel they perhaps have some depth to call on for this one. However, head coach Phillip Dos Santos did reveal on Friday that Darlington Murasiranwa will make his Valour debut in goal, with usual starter Rayane Yesli unavailable due to illness. Abdou Samaké will also miss out after suffering an injury in Halifax last week.

But they also published this gem:

Pacific have never lost at home to Valour, and they would quite like to continue that trend

even though Valour memorably won at Pacific in like the 2nd game in league history.

So who knows.

On 8/27/2023 at 2:35 PM, jonovision said:

Yup.

As much as people like the idea of having a flagship team that others can measure themselves against, another Forge win this year would be bad for the league. Having all but one of your titles in a 5 year old league held by the same team, and half the teams having no real success of any kind in a half a decade is what it is in a sporting sense, but it is no good for developing a community of support around those teams.

You could have 3/4 of the teams make the playoffs.  They have already moved to the curling style playoff with five teams for this year.  Anything can happen when you get to the dance!

(I am being facetious in light of the discussion in the Millar thread with @blueseeka about the North American pro sports focus on playoffs as opposed to prom/rel, first/second division stuff.)

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

You could have 3/4 of the teams make the playoffs.  They have already moved to the curling style playoff with five teams for this year.  Anything can happen when you get to the dance!

(I am being facetious in light of the discussion in the Millar thread with @blueseeka about the North American pro sports focus on playoffs as opposed to prom/rel, first/second division stuff.)

The curling system is the best and fairest version that I've come across. 5 teams of 8 is too many, but two teams, especially if it's the same two every year, could well spell the death of the league. No perfect options here.

23 minutes ago, Wippersuna said:

Dos Santos spent the entire week of pre season drilling into the team that this was the year we weren’t going to miss by a point and has spent every week since trying to clarify that this was not what he meant. 

will he join gale in constantly complaining about not having this and that once hes no longer the coach?

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

OneSoccer just in full cheerleader mode for Pacific in half time and post game.

Valour players that should return in 2024: De Brienne, Gutierrez, Sanchez. Williams. Maybe Campbell and Baquero. Tough to think of an argument for anyone else. Yesli I guess.

If the rest are cut loose I'd be surprised if more than 3 or 4 would catch onto another CPL team. There simply isn't any talent here.

48 minutes ago, Wippersuna said:

Have to wonder if De Brienne and Gutierrez would even want to return. Hard to imagine sticking around is high in their priorities after being here before. 

Moving this to the Valour Season thread...

I would add Samake and Pianelli to the possibly keep list.  And Ohin if only he could stay healthy.  I would put Ponce and Niyongabire ahead of Williams... but perhaps they shoud all go.  Also, would consider Mzoughi for another season of U21 minutes.

True that Gutierrez will likely look for a change of scenes and Atletico seems a logical choise to offer de Brienne a contract.

Don't think fireing PDS is the answer but it is the only option at this point.  Could happen this month?

Samake would be fine as a depth option. Not if he's being counted upon to be a starter like he was this year. Pianelli might also be worth keeping as cheap depth but he is so slow, and not particularly young.

I find your preference of Ponce and Niyongabire over Williams quite surprising. Niyongabire had a few hot games at the start of the season but was quickly found out. Williams was one of the few players that could actually create chances for others, especially on those rare occasions where he was allowed to play in a #10 role instead of on the wing. I like Ponce more than most, and he's not a bad as a depth option, much better than Novak and Siaj, but he's not good enough if he's making anything above the minimum.

Keeping Mzoughi for the U21 minutes might be alright, although I don't think anybody knows what position he should be playing. I'd like to see him tried further up the pitch.

I don't see what the point of an in-season firing of PDS would be, so I'd expect the news to come after the season.

I do think this whole season could have been quite different with a healthy Ohin, although there has been such a tsunami of injuries to other players maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

Edited by jonovision

As far as next season goes, I would like to see the club try and build around the likes of de Brienne, Guti, Baquero, Yesli, Sanchez and Williams. I think Baquero should be retained for experience and versatility. Ohin should be given one last chance to see if he can stay healthy as I believe a healthy Ohin would be an ideal screen for the back 4. I would expect Chandler to be retained in order to be given a fair shot. Mzoughi would also be worth keeping around.

Haynes isn't up to scratch but I would be tempted to keep Cela, Pianelli and Samake around for next season. I would personally like to see Evan Barker brought in to challenge Yesli as he has had 2 solid seasons in the USL2 and has been in contention for goalkeeper of the year both times.

Baptiste needs to go as he has shown that he is prone to injuries and often seems off the pace (I know I said Ohin should be given one last chance, but a keeper needs a consistent defensive line). The attacking side needs an overhaul. Get rid of Novak, Siaj, Ponce and Selemani. Rendon needs to go, Ulloa isn't as good as they had hoped he would be.

Niyongabire could be given another season as Akio and Dyer took time to settle before they started finding the net.

2 thoughts/questions...

Choice of Evan Ince for backup GK over say Barker or Artemenko would simply be a question of cost?  Ince did not require plane fare and hotel costs -- just a ferry ticket.

As I understand it after Aug 15 Pianelli's USports contract would expire and he would require a full Pro contract.  All USports contacts are considered Canadian but under a Pro contract he would have to count as an International?