Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

5 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

Kian Williams looked good against York at the weekend, gets into good positions, great movement off the ball, Not seen much else of Valour this season. What do Valour fans think of him? Looked handy based on the one Valour game i've watched.

Hard to say there is a bright spot amoung the Valour attacker but this is as close as they come to one.  Pacifique could be given a marginally passing grade.  The rest (Siaj, Novak, Ulloa, Ponce) would have to recieve an F at midseason.

39 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Hard to say there is a bright spot amoung the Valour attacker but this is as close as they come to one.  Pacifique could be given a marginally passing grade.  The rest (Siaj, Novak, Ulloa, Ponce) would have to recieve an F at midseason.

I'd have Ulloa and Ponce both at a D or D-. Both would definitely have been in F territory last year.

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'd have Ulloa and Ponce both at a D or D-. Both would definitely have been in F territory last year.

What has Ulloa done that wouldn’t merit an F? At least Ponce really hustled when he played this year even if he isn’t much of a scoring threat. I can understand a D or D- for him.

Edited by Soccerpro2

2 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

What has Ulloa done that wouldn’t merit an F? At least Ponce really hustled when he played this year even if he isn’t much of a scoring threat. I can understand a D or D- for him.

Ulloa, mostly due to injuries, has been forced into starter duty far more often than he or the team would have expected. He is the one winger on the team willing to run to the byline. He only has a few assists, but he has definitely created more chances that would have been finished by a C or C+ striker rather than the F minuses that we have. 

In other words, he's a young player that has shown gradual improvement. Maybe I'm grading on a curve here, but I have to imagine management is less frustrated with him than with guys like Siaj or Novak.

Also, I'm a teacher. D or D- (or equivalent percentage) is a very bad grade. You have to really plumb the depths to get an F.

I think the team needs an overhaul. I mean, big rebuild from the midfield up.

You need to look at tying the likes of de Brienne and Guti down to longer contracts. Tie Yesli down as well and give him a regular back 4 (or 3 if you go wing backs).

Yesli needs a new contract. Tisseur can go, replace him with Barker who has been a standout for Manitoba over the last 2 seasons.

AJB, for all his strengths, is injured too frequently. Haynes has barely featured this season. Chandler has been unlucky getting injured so early on. Baquero should stick around as he is consistent. Pianelli and Samake have been consistent and Cela and Mzoughi look promising.

Guti needs to stay. He is a key figure in midfield. Polisi hasn't featured much due to injury. Campbell offers options and Sanchez started strong. Rendon and Ulloa have been absent when they have been on the pitch and, especially with Rendon, are probably eating up salary. Williams and Pacifique have had a good run so far, but Pacifique needs to keep his head up.

Siaj? No. Ponce? No. Novak? No. New guy? Can't comment.

So, for next season:

Yesli, Barker

Baquero, Samake, Pianelli, Cela, Chandler, de Brienne, Mzoughi

Ohin, Gutierrez, Campbell, Sanchez, Williams, Pacifique

Backline, relatively unchanged as I feel the only missing player is a ball winning midfielder to protect when de Brienne goes forward. Yesli has worked wonders with a permanently weakened backline in front of him.

Midfield, Guti is the creator, maybe Ohin as the ball winner and Sanchez as the runner? Williams and Pacifique out wide.

Attackers need an overhaul. Attardo could be an option, Reveco is another from FC Manitoba. With someone like Wero Diaz going to Vancouver, a decent striker is possible. It just needs the owners to put a little cash in and a manager to really sell his vision for the club.

4 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I think the team needs an overhaul. I mean, big rebuild from the midfield up.

Absolutely.

5 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Polisi hasn't featured much due to injury.

After being injured early, Polisi has now played 2/3rds of the available minutes this season, and I think that's a big part of why Valour's performances have been tailing off.

5 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So, for next season:

Yesli, Barker

Mostly agree. Mzoughi might be better off as an attacking wide player as his defending is frightening. Pianelli, Cela and Chandler are too much of the same thing: immobile tall guys that are probably worth 1 or 2 set piece goals each over the course of a season.

I think Ohin has been a bigger absence than I would have expected.

In a different formation with a traditional #10, that is the role for Williams.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Ulloa, mostly due to injuries, has been forced into starter duty far more often than he or the team would have expected. He is the one winger on the team willing to run to the byline. He only has a few assists, but he has definitely created more chances that would have been finished by a C or C+ striker rather than the F minuses that we have. 

In other words, he's a young player that has shown gradual improvement. Maybe I'm grading on a curve here, but I have to imagine management is less frustrated with him than with guys like Siaj or Novak.

Also, I'm a teacher. D or D- (or equivalent percentage) is a very bad grade. You have to really plumb the depths to get an F.

I haven’t seen any improvement from Ulloa. I think he’s pretty invisible on the team. I’m struggling to think of many opportunities that he creates that others have wasted. I sure wouldn’t bring him back.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Absolutely.

After being injured early, Polisi has now played 2/3rds of the available minutes this season, and I think that's a big part of why Valour's performances have been tailing off.

Mostly agree. Mzoughi might be better off as an attacking wide player as his defending is frightening. Pianelli, Cela and Chandler are too much of the same thing: immobile tall guys that are probably worth 1 or 2 set piece goals each over the course of a season.

Agree with this.

Also, I understand why they brought AJB back, being a captain and team leader, but this season is going the way I thought it would go for him - injuries wise. It was clear to see he was done at the end of last year. I strongly suspect he is a top earner on the club, too.

Bottom line, Valour at bare minimum, need a good AMC and Striker to be competitive. 

Polisi is the kind of unremarkable midfield grinder that doesn’t contribute offensively. I have my fingers crossed that Sanchez can improve and contribute with the odd goal or assist as he’s still really young and it’s his first season. 

Unless you’re a top, top DMC, you have to contribute sometimes in the goals and/or assists category if you’re a midfielder. As horrible as the strikers are for Valour, there’s a few midfielders that never contribute offensively. You just can’t have that.

Edited by Soccerpro2

27 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I haven’t seen any improvement from Ulloa. I think he’s pretty invisible on the team. I’m struggling to think of many opportunities that he creates that others have wasted. I sure wouldn’t bring him back.

I believe Ulloa has improved.  But he is a light weight, to easily muscled off the ball.  Still young, needs to add a few pounds of muscle and he could become a threat.  He is certainly getting more game time than he deserves due to injuries and due to the other Valour options (Siaj and Novak) not being a better choice.

Some stern reviews around here.

Don't think there needs to be a total reset with anything other than the very front line.  Believe we'd see some very different play from the usual suspects if there were more dynamic options available up top.

Absolutely worth mentioning the injury history of players, current and potential signings.  The IG Field reality demands it.

Aside from the obvious troubles up top I don't actually think Valour has been all bad.

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So, for next season:

Yesli, Barker

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Don't think there needs to be a total reset with anything other than the very front line.

Agreed a total reset is not required and EnigMattic's list of players with the possible additions of Selemani (and Haynes?), depending upon how they perform seems like a good start for next season.  Unfortunately, history seems to indicate that Valour does not retain the players they/fans would like (see Dyer, Levis, Romeo, Mekideche last year) and I fear closer to a reset will happen once again.  TransferMarkt does not list any player having a 2024 contract with Valour at this point (most are blank to be honest), hopefully there is a core signed for 2024.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Absolutely worth mentioning the injury history of players, current and potential signings.  The IG Field reality demands it.

Are you suggesting IG Field is the cause of Valour's injury problems?

44 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Are you suggesting IG Field is the cause of Valour's injury problems?

I'm suggesting it doesn't help.  Not a jot. 

Point being I doubt we'll ever see a full season out of Ohin or AJB playing on the current edition of turf at IG Field and the Gaffer might have to keep that in mind when constructing his squad.  (As if he doesn't have enough player salary concerns on his plate already).

On the positive side the turf has to be approaching the end of it's life cycle and I can't imagine whatever replaces it won't be a generation better than the current mat.  Which to fair, wasn't half bad.  

^ Ohin has had two ACL injuries, neither of which took place on IG Field turf. The most recent took place on a grass pitch that I thought was a mess but others disagreed (Swangard). He will be an injury concern no matter where he continues his career.

I think you're right about AJB. I also agree that for the sake of the other tenant, new carpet will be coming soon.

The way I see it, the owners don't really want to spend a lot in terms of wages. If that was the case, get a friendly against FC Manitoba and see what they have to offer. I mean, you wouldn't need to convince anyone to move to Winnipeg and, if they can hold their own against Valour, it isn't like any of them would be a step down. I mean, there are a number of players there that have scored more this season (albeit in a lower league) than our front line combined.

There are options on our doorstep if the club wants to spend a minimum. Attardo has CPL experience and goals (ok, early days), Barker knows the club. Hidalgo-Mazzei has trialled countless times. But, if a new team with no history can sign a player like Wero Diaz and get Hundal scoring, why can't we?

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

Absolutely.

Cela was brought in to 'replace' Chandler. I would be surprised if both stuck around next season. In an ideal world, playing a back 4, a team would have 5 centre backs. Keep Pianelli and either Cela or Chandler, partner the better of the 2 with Samake and get another similar player in to cover Samake with the 5th being a blend of the 2 roles.

If, and this is a big if, Ohin could stay fit, an option there would be to have him partner Guti in the middle and shift the 3rd CM up to a #10 role. That would then allow Williams to play there and another winger could be brought in. If you took that option with Williams and Guti being creators, that would increase the number of chances we get (hypothetically) and all that would be needed would be a striker that knows where the net is.

Selemani interview

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/i-dont-think-people-realize-the-beauty-of-the-cpl-at-times

"...Selemani, who will remain with Valour through this season with the club holding an option for 2024." - Valour disclosing a contract length, that is a first!

As usual the very incomplete injury list... "Valour will have F Walter Poncé available for Saturday’s match with Pacific, but centre back Andrew Jean-Baptiste – who was injured in the loss to York United – is out."

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

As usual the very incomplete injury list... "Valour will have F Walter Poncé available for Saturday’s match with Pacific, but centre back Andrew Jean-Baptiste – who was injured in the loss to York United – is out."

I never would have thought I'd be happy about a Ponce return from injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday was AJB's last ever showing in a Valour shirt.

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

I never would have thought I'd be happy about a Ponce return from injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday was AJB's last ever showing in a Valour shirt.

Ponce, Selemani, Williams, Pacifique -- maybe there is hope for 2 goals in a game?!?

It has been (another) terrible year of injuries for AJB (:().  If out for the season Valour should be looking for another CB -- like they did with Cela replacing Chandler.

47 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Ponce, Selemani, Williams, Pacifique -- maybe there is hope for 2 goals in a game?!?

It has been (another) terrible year of injuries for AJB (:().  If out for the season Valour should be looking for another CB -- like they did with Cela replacing Chandler.

Baptiste will be gone after this season, and I fear Rafa will too. I genuinely believe that the remainder of this season will be nothing more than damage control. Even with the extra playoff spot, we will miss out again. PDS really needs to find out what he will have in the bank for next season (assuming he is still there) and get to work looking at who could actually make a difference. He also needs to look at what it will take to keep the likes of de Brienne, Guti, Yesli, Baquero and Williams.

Every year Valour has had almost a full turnover of players. Players who they have let go or played miserably have played well with other CPL teams. They play on horrible turf in a stadium thats not fit for CPL soccer. The organization really needs a hard look in the mirror and change its culture. Every year is the same complains and same issues. Never moving the needle forward. 

On 7/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, EnigMattic1 said:

Baptiste will be gone after this season, and I fear Rafa will too. I genuinely believe that the remainder of this season will be nothing more than damage control. Even with the extra playoff spot, we will miss out again. PDS really needs to find out what he will have in the bank for next season (assuming he is still there) and get to work looking at who could actually make a difference. He also needs to look at what it will take to keep the likes of de Brienne, Guti, Yesli, Baquero and Williams.

The problem with all the losing is I fear the good players will want out after this year, too.

Look at the mass exodus of our best players from last year.

Quality on the field is not nearly good enough but even more dire is the complete lack of atmosphere in the building. There’s games where the crowd is fun, but as a whole the Bombers seem to have given up on trying to build any fun or excitement. At this point it just seems like they think leaving the same kids games and throwing more free shirts will make the place fun.

Even more stark when you see what they’re doing at the Sea Bears games. Soccer isn’t basketball and not everything translates but I went to one game and basketball aside it was fun just to be in the building. I’ve been thinking lately of moving my season tickets to the Sea Bears - going to get rough if that’s a more widespread sentiment and it’s hard to imagine it’s not.

The team needs some fresh blood in ownership who actually cares about it and treats it as something more than a side hustle. Unfortunately I don’t know that that’s happening in the current setup.

Edited by Wippersuna

4 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Quality on the field is not nearly good enough but even more dire is the complete lack of atmosphere in the building. There’s games where the crowd is fun, but as a whole the Bombers seem to have given up on trying to build any fun or excitement. At this point it just seems like they think leaving the same kids games and throwing more free shirts will make the place fun.

Even more stark when you see what they’re doing at the Sea Bears games. Soccer isn’t basketball and not everything translates but I went to one game and basketball aside it was fun just to be in the building. I’ve been thinking lately of moving my season tickets to the Sea Bears - going to get rough if that’s a more widespread sentiment and it’s hard to imagine it’s not.

The team needs some fresh blood in ownership who actually cares about it and treats it as something more than a side hustle. Unfortunately I don’t know that that’s happening in the current setup.

It says a lot when a new expansion team smashes the attendance record in their first game and is constantly posting high attendances. Even Ohin posts stuff on Instagram for their games. Would it be so hard for the Sea Bears to acknowledge that one of the city's other sports teams players is there?

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

It says a lot when a new expansion team smashes the attendance record in their first game and is constantly posting high attendances. Even Ohin posts stuff on Instagram for their games. Would it be so hard for the Sea Bears to acknowledge that one of the city's other sports teams players is there?

How is it their job to promote another team? Did/does Valour promote them?

As in outsider with not much understanding of the ownership I have a question. Why is the ownership so stingy. The Bluebombers are one of the most successful teams in the CFL surely they should have a few bucks to put towards making Valor competitive and having a decent stadium experience?

7 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Quality on the field is not nearly good enough but even more dire is the complete lack of atmosphere in the building.

The qualtity of play killed the atmosphere not the building.  (Let the atmosphere at Forge and Atletico show the potential)

Valour cannot build a brand and a following with displays like that.  Tickets are not expensive but I think every Valour fan would agree that $20 worth of entertainment was not delivered last night (the officiating did not help - but that is another story).  There were fans there that I am sure will not be returning for a long time.

That is 2 home games in a row where during the first 8 minutes the team was completely overwhelmed and disorganized.  I like PDS but I think he has to take the blame on that.  After the initial period the team's complete lack of scoring threat makes the remainer of the game a painful to watch act of frustration.  (Too early to write Selemani off just yet but his inability to hit the target has him fitting in well so far)