Road to Australia/New Zealand

red card

500k tickets have been sold so far out of 1 million made available. Goal is to reach 1.5 million. Next selling phase opens up in April.

Top buying countries are Australia, New Zealand, USA, England, Qatar, Germany, China, Canada, Ireland & France. Tickets have been sold to 132 countries. Most sought after match is the Final.

Canada set the current record, with 1.35m tickets sold, an average of 26,028 per match. Ticket sales in France in 2019, reached 1.13m, an average of 21,756 per match.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/half-a-million-tickets-sold-for-women-s-world-cup-as-fifa-dismisses-timezone-concerns-20230117-p5cd1c.html

• 2 weeks later...

The Saudis are just having their national women's team play their first matches this month in order to be finally be FIFA ranked. They allowed women to attend matches in 2018. But they're ahead of Canada in launching a pro women's league 2 years ago.

Now, they're set to be a sponsor of the 2023 Women's World Cup. Previously you had to be a FIFA sponsor to get your name shown at a World Cup but now FIFA is selling sponsorships (or supportership) for just this women's World Cup.

Looks like another table setting for a 2030 bid being laid by the Saudis.

Edited by red card

• 3 weeks later...

10 Nations. 3 Berths.

World Cup Playoff Tournament starts this Friday. This is akin to watching 3rd division teams fighting it out for promotion. The football won't be good but it will be peak emotion.

Matches should be on FIFA+. 

Despite the huge time zone difference, the matches are largely on at reasonable times and ideal for those on western time zones.

Friday 
2000 ET Senegal v Haiti (winner to play Chile next Tuesday)

Saturday
0100 ET Cameroon v Thailand (winner to play Portugal next Wednesday)
2000 ET Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) v Paraguay

Sunday
0100 ET Papua New Guinea v Panama (winner to play the winner of Taiwan/Paraguay next Wednesday)

There is one Canadian-based player involved:
Haiti's Gabrielle-Marie Emilien of the Ottawa Gee-Gees

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/articles/watch-play-off-tournament-womens-world-cup-2023-on-fifa-plus-with-live-streams-highlights

Canada's group stage opponents are also playing friendlies.

Nigeria played Mexico at Revelations Cup in Leon yesterday. Costa Rica & Colombia are also part of the mix. 

Nigeria lost 1-0.

Australia is hosting Cup of Nations. They beat Czechia 4-0 today in Gosford, NSW. They have been scoring quite a few goals in recent friendlies. Spain and Jamaica are the other nations involved.

37 minutes ago, red card said:

Revelations Cup in Leon...

Australia is hosting Cup of Nations....

All these friendly tournaments are great to see along with the Arnold Clark Cup in England and the Cyprus Cup.

Despite the earthquake, even the Turkish Women's Cup is taking place:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Turkish_Women's_Cup

On 2/16/2023 at 3:10 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Looking forward to this. Many Haitian players arrived late because of the bad weather prevented flights from landing in Auckland.

New Zeland has had a terrible last couple months with flooding and minor earthquakes.

Haiti with their Concacaf experience won easily over Senegal.  Senegal in spite of their huge height were not that fast.  Haiti players matched their speed and had so many repossessions that was amazing.  Their late arrival didn't seem to affect their physical stamina.  I think Chile will have a hard time dealing with Haiti and specially Borgella.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Cameroon defeated Thailand 2-0.

They will play Portugal for a spot on February 22.

24 minutes of added time. 8 minutes were initially added. Then Cameroon goalkeeper recklessly took out a Thai player that took about 8 mins of injury time. Then VAR decision with Carol Anne Chenard of Canada took another 5 mins - not sure why they weren't doing the VAR check while the 2 players were getting treated. Though, it seemed Honduran ref needed to be convinced to look at the replay. Cameroon lose their starting keeper v Portugal due to the eventual red card.

Smallish but Thai fans were dancing & loud all match. Cameroon v Portugal is on at Wednesday 0100 ET. Or watch on demand when you get up.

Chile v Haiti is on Tuesday at 2000 ET. Chile just lost a Auckland friendly 4-0 to Argentina. Based on crowd size at this match, there should be lots of support for Chile.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 125729.jpg

5 hours ago, red card said:

24 minutes of added time. 8 minutes were initially added. Then Cameroon goalkeeper recklessly took out a Thai player that took about 8 mins of injury time. Then VAR decision with Carol Anne Chenard of Canada took another 5 mins - not sure why they weren't doing the VAR check while the 2 players were getting treated. Though, it seemed Honduran ref needed to be convinced to look at the replay. Cameroon lose their starting keeper v Portugal due to the eventual red card.

Smallish but Thai fans were dancing & loud all match. Cameroon v Portugal is on at Wednesday 0100 ET. Or watch on demand when you get up.

Chile v Haiti is on Tuesday at 2000 ET. Chile just lost a Auckland friendly 4-0 to Argentina. Based on crowd size at this match, there should be lots of support for Chile.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 125729.jpg

I would have just given a yellow card to the keeper if at all that.  Did anyone think that the VAR was going to speed up the game or be fair.  24 minutes added, Wow.

Edited by The Ref

The last nation to qualify will be either Paraguay or Panama on Wednesday 2000 ET.

PNG drops its match 2-0 to Panama via 2 golazos. NWSL third round pick Riley Tanner who came in the second half for Panama might be the difference maker vs Paraguay. She qualifies for Panama via her mother.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/583yqP4MIvR2WQWXwcv40j

Given Chile's recent poor form, Haiti also looks set to qualify. Imagine Mexico seeing these 2 Concacaf countries qualify. Portugal should take care of Cameroon.

2 hours ago, red card said:

PNG drops its match 2-0 to Panama via 2 golazos. NWSL third round pick Riley Tanner who came in the second half for Panama might be the difference maker vs Paraguay. She qualifies for Panama via her mother.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/583yqP4MIvR2WQWXwcv40j

Thanks for the link to the highlights. Tanner does look like a quality player. That Marta Cox bicycle kick was something special though.

Given Chile's recent poor form, Haiti also looks set to qualify.

I disagree. I think Chile are still the heavy favourites. I'll be cheering for Haiti but I don't expect them to win.

Portugal should take care of Cameroon.

We only beat Cameroon by a goal at the last WC. I also think Portugal are the favourites but I don't expect them to thrash Cameroon. I think the match will be close.

Nigeria with another sluggish outing as they lose to Colombia 1-0 in their match 2 of Revelations Cup in Leon.

Rising star Linda Caicedo with a golazo. She will turn 18 by the end of this week which means she can then head to Europe. Barca seems to be the leading contender. During her tour of Euro clubs last year, she noted: “It was good for me to get to know a bit of European culture. Some people are a little stricter, others are more like us Latinos, but I think this trip was really cool. It was good for me to learn and also help me decide what I want to do in the future.” She has also overcome having ovarian cancer at 15.

Australia looks like they're going to be real trouble for Canada. In their second Cup of Nations match, they took care of Spain 3-2 in Sydney after netting 3 goals in the first half. 

Edited by red card