MLS Match Updates and Talk 2022

Big_M

Here are MLS writer Sam Jones' short takes on today's games involving Canadian teams:

CF Montréal vs. New York City FC | 7:30 pm ET on MLS LIVE on ESPN+
To see what a Taty-less NYCFC does against a good team

It's the first game of the post-Taty Castellanos era. If anyone is expecting that to mean that NYCFC have suddenly taken a nose-dive, you're going to be sorely disappointed. But like we've said, it's not like they've gotten better. They're going to take a step back in some way. And our first indication of how big that step might be comes today against one of the best teams in the league. I'm not sure how much we'll be able to take away from one game, but it might set the tone for what the rest of the season and what the playoffs may look like for NYCFC. If Montréal can win and pull within three points of the Pigeons, they may just feel they can catch up to NYCFC in that second spot in the East. 

Nashville SC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC | 8 pm ET on MLS LIVE on ESPN+
To see which right wingback makes the difference

It's Vancouver's new high-profile right wingback, Julian Gressel, versus Nashville SC's new high-profile right wingback, Shaq Moore. Both players seem like perfect fits for each team and serious upgrades at the position. Gressel has already started to get settled in Vancouver while Moore is set to make his NSC debut. Both players may make a major difference for their teams today as they both chase a playoff spot down the stretch. 

New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC | 8 pm ET on MLS LIVE on ESPN+
To see which team is less interested in transition defense

Oh man, there might be 12 goals in this. I'm not kidding. Neither team is outstanding or even good or even really remotely decent in transition defense. Both teams have a whole lot of firepower. If Toronto's performance against Charlotte last weekend was any indication, Toronto may have as much or more firepower as any team in the East. But, again, what may take this into the stratosphere is Michael Bradley and Matt Polster doing their best to chase down that firepower in each team's midfield. To be fair to New England, they've done much better this year in transition defense thanks to a few tactical adjustments. To be fair to Toronto, they've been the worst transition defense in the league by far and might only be improving in the sense that they won't have to do it as much or as crucially since they might be able to score four times each game from here on out. This one should be fun. 

6 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Here are MLS writer Sam Jones' short takes on today's games involving Canadian teams:

CF Montréal vs. New York City FC | 7:30 pm ET on MLS LIVE on ESPN+
To see what a Taty-less NYCFC does against a good team

It's the first game of the post-Taty Castellanos era. If anyone is expecting that to mean that NYCFC have suddenly taken a nose-dive, you're going to be sorely disappointed. But like we've said, it's not like they've gotten better. They're going to take a step back in some way. And our first indication of how big that step might be comes today against one of the best teams in the league. I'm not sure how much we'll be able to take away from one game, but it might set the tone for what the rest of the season and what the playoffs may look like for NYCFC. If Montréal can win and pull within three points of the Pigeons, they may just feel they can catch up to NYCFC in that second spot in the East. 

Nashville SC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC | 8 pm ET on MLS LIVE on ESPN+
To see which right wingback makes the difference

It's Vancouver's new high-profile right wingback, Julian Gressel, versus Nashville SC's new high-profile right wingback, Shaq Moore. Both players seem like perfect fits for each team and serious upgrades at the position. Gressel has already started to get settled in Vancouver while Moore is set to make his NSC debut. Both players may make a major difference for their teams today as they both chase a playoff spot down the stretch. 

New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC | 8 pm ET on MLS LIVE on ESPN+
To see which team is less interested in transition defense

Oh man, there might be 12 goals in this. I'm not kidding. Neither team is outstanding or even good or even really remotely decent in transition defense. Both teams have a whole lot of firepower. If Toronto's performance against Charlotte last weekend was any indication, Toronto may have as much or more firepower as any team in the East. But, again, what may take this into the stratosphere is Michael Bradley and Matt Polster doing their best to chase down that firepower in each team's midfield. To be fair to New England, they've done much better this year in transition defense thanks to a few tactical adjustments. To be fair to Toronto, they've been the worst transition defense in the league by far and might only be improving in the sense that they won't have to do it as much or as crucially since they might be able to score four times each game from here on out. This one should be fun. 

Might be...

47 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure I have ever seen a player convert a PK after being made to wait 5 minutes to take it. Two points dropped tonight 

Yeah that was ridiculous.  I saw about three minutes elapse from the moment that the PK decision was made to when The ball was spotted.  Then the VAR calls down to reiview and anothere 2-3 minutes are wasted.  Yet, they tag on only 5 mins of extra time at the end. That should have been 7-8 mins of extra time with all the subs.

The VAR official needs to be more alert and decisive.   We need VAR, yes I agree.   But you cant waste that much time deciding whether or not a damn play should be reviewed or not. 

Edited by Free kick

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

TFC played well enough to win.   I am really looking forward to next year when these player are able to jell and build some chemistry.  

Based on the last two league matches, I think they have enough firepower to make a late run with the possibility of sneaking into the playoffs and then anything is possible. They need some midfield depth though. When’s Okello back?

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

When’s Okello back?

Heard no word on that other than what I read that says: "Okello continues his comeback from a lower body injury"

Think MAK is day to day.   That'll make a huge diff

Edited by Free kick

Happen to be in Vancouver taking in this game pretty disappointing turnout . My first time at BC place, great location right downtown, however , as a TFC season ticket holder and no fan of BMO Field a part from the great location of BC Place I think I prefer BMO Field over this place and I can’t believe I’m saying this as someone who thinks BMO is to open and needs to be enclosed more. Moreover , where have all the fans gone with these attendances maybe 12000 here tonight.