Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

23 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Do the caps have any homegrown prospects in the 17 to 21 range that anyone thinks can grow into players like CF Montreal has in spades?  I honestly think that is their biggest issue.

tough to say, WFC2 had an alright first season in mls next pro as a whole but a lot of those players were above 20 and there weren't any significant breakout performers. we'll see what happens in the coming years if they can get players into wfc2 at an earlier age like a lot of other mls clubs do because that's vital; with covid, their academy/mls next team hasn't played much in the past two years which has undoubtedly set them backwards in this regard

closest to a standout might be ali ahmed (22 years old), made a couple appearances as a sub for the first team and was one of the better players on wfc2. maybe he'll be able to carve out a spot on the first team as a rotation/depth option at RWB, at his age that's probably his ceiling but who knows

edit: this article sums it up well re: WFC2 https://www.eightysixforever.com/2022/9/19/23358949/wfc2-year-end-reports

Edited by saladroit

Habibullah was the player most fans were clamoring for last year, and it was good to see him go out on loan at Pacific, but it doesn't really seem like he had an impact there either.

The one caveat to some of this discussion is that Hasal did come through the system as well, and he's set to be at least a 1A or 1B option in net again next year.

25 minutes ago, saladroit said:

tough to say, WFC2 had an alright first season in mls next pro as a whole but a lot of those players were above 20 and there weren't any significant breakout performers. we'll see what happens in the coming years if they can get players into wfc2 at an earlier age like a lot of other mls clubs do because that's vital; with covid, their academy/mls next team hasn't played much in the past two years which has undoubtedly set them backwards in this regard

closest to a standout might be ali ahmed (22 years old), made a couple appearances as a sub for the first team and was one of the better players on wfc2. maybe he'll be able to carve out a spot on the first team as a rotation/depth option at RWB, at his age that's probably his ceiling but who knows

edit: this article sums it up well re: WFC2 https://www.eightysixforever.com/2022/9/19/23358949/wfc2-year-end-reports

They have always liked to sign journeyman Cancon from elsewhere, preferably younger but the common denominator is pro experienced.  I expect that will continue for awhile.

44 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Yeah. I know about Ahmed and that is why I said 17-21 as that would exclude him and as you say, I don’t seem his ceiling as an MLS standout or moving to Europe in a top league. But they seem to really have no one. Maybe Herdman’s kid or Matteo Campagna but both not of the quality you see at Montreal or Toronto 

8 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Yeah. I know about Ahmed and that is why I said 17-21 as that would exclude him and as you say, I don’t seem his ceiling as an MLS standout or moving to Europe in a top league. But they seem to really have no one. Maybe Herdman’s kid or Matteo Campagna but both not of the quality you see at Montreal or Toronto 

When your main pool of players is BC, and BC Soccer is failing to develop players....Seriously, it's absolutely mind blowing and infuriating that the 3rd biggest province and the one where soccer can be played year round is currently producing absolutely no one of CMNT quality.

16 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Habibullah was the player most fans were clamoring for last year, and it was good to see him go out on loan at Pacific, but it doesn't really seem like he had an impact there either.

The one caveat to some of this discussion is that Hasal did come through the system as well, and he's set to be at least a 1A or 1B option in net again next year.

The Caps get lttle out of their own backyard of the Lower Mainland.  Metcalfe was let go after last season, Baldisimo probably after this season.  Boehmer is from the South Okanagan, and that's about it.

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

miss playoffs in 2 of your 3 years and get a 4 year extension..life is good for schuster

I think he's done some good work.  Seriously, the previous FO was such a joke and left the club in such an unprofessional mess, it was basically an amateur operation.  It's taken a few years, but the scouting system is now in place and has started to produce results.  There's some quality in the lineup now.  He just needs to move on from Vanni, though I don't think he will.  

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

When your main pool of players is BC, and BC Soccer is failing to develop players....Seriously, it's absolutely mind blowing and infuriating that the 3rd biggest province and the one where soccer can be played year round is currently producing absolutely no one of CMNT quality.

I'm always surprised that the Lower Mainland can't produce players anymore.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The Caps get lttle out of their own backyard of the Lower Mainland.  Metcalfe was let go after last season, Baldisimo probably after this season.  Boehmer is from the South Okanagan, and that's about it.

People complain too about the Whitecaps "not giving academy players a shot", but they sure as heck did with Baldisimo.  But we're 3 years in and a stiff breeze still knocks him over, and if it's a day when his long ball pass isn't working then he offers nothing else.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

People complain too about the Whitecaps "not giving academy players a shot", but they sure as heck did with Baldisimo.  But we're 3 years in and a stiff breeze still knocks him over, and if it's a day when his long ball pass isn't working then he offers nothing else.

Didn't have it.  Wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.  

20 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm always surprised that the Lower Mainland can't produce players anymore.

It really is shocking. Consider that the Whitecaps have likely had more Ontario-origin players on their first team pitches racking up more collective minutes than BC-origin players over the past 6 years or so. DHenry DCornelius RTeibert MGodinho ... who else???

Makes zero sense when you consider that Ontariowe has no year round outdoor season. However, on a pure numbers basis, maybe it does.

But, I am thinking that this lack of Canada-generating players in general is more of a pan-Canada youth thing. Like, the youth just are not playing anything outdoors anymore. Nada. Only organized sports. Zero free play. I notice when I am in places like Portugal, the youth at the adolescent and even young university age spend little time on cell phones and a lot of time directly interacting with each other and just plain hanging around outdoors. Here I see youth stuck on cell phones and even when out together, they are still stuck on their cell phones. It is super sad to see this but I see a correlation with this device behaviour and all the sports leagues and what they are generating in development pipelines.

Also, for what it is worth, through someone who did experience the Whitecaps academy system, I understand that the younger players have a real hang up on handouts. They expect to be catered to... that's another problem we have created.

31 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think I agree with most of this.  I don't think White can bounce back as much as Doyle does, but in general I think it's accurate.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-the-2022-mls-season-meant-for-vancouver-whitecaps-fc

I would have thought Cubas was a revelation.  Not sure what the criteria was for that category.

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I would have thought Cubas was a revelation.  Not sure what the criteria was for that category.

I think it's more intended for younger players.  Cubas at 26 and coming in with French league experience probably doesn't fit what he's looking for.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

The best team in the league for the last couple of years is second from bottom while the league's most underachieving team is right on top.  Make of that what you will.

8 teams below the Whitecaps made the playoffs. We can debate their odds of winning the Cup, but spending smart is still enough to get you there.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Whitecaps in the middle of the pack now on salary spending. Honestly, that's fine. Now to spend it a bit smarter.

I think you also have to consider that the Sounders missed out on their 3 best players for a lot of the season. Plug those guys back in and they're easily one of the best teams in the league

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The best team in the league for the last couple of years is second from bottom while the league's most underachieving team is right on top.  Make of that what you will.

I count 8 of 14 playoff teams in the bottom half of salaries