Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I still feel the Caps are a bit rudderless out there. I think Gauld is a great little player, and Cubas is excellent, but we've no cohesion down the middle of the pitch.  

I can't see Axel keeping Sartinini beyond this season.  The team looks kinda hopeless out there. They sort of play desperate football and find ways to get by on their luck, here and there, but I do not see a cohesive side at all.  Very difficult to watch these game, tbh.

I've read this observation elsewhere and I agree with it:  they don't control games enough.  They react to the tempo instead of dictating it.  Much has to do with keeping the ball but there are other successful MLS teams who don't maintain a lot of possession yet seem to be "in charge" and force turnovers to create chances or nullify opposition attacks.

To your first point, if Kilbane was in the half time TSN studio, he would be pointing the finger at the guy wearing the captain's armband (as he has done on almost any occasion he's done a Caps game) as a big problem.  But he is not the only one, for sure.

Man, Brown was dreadful against the man-child teenager last night.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They always seem to have about one thing wrong with them that undermines the rest.

I think we're in to the stage where we won't see Vanni back next year.

The Caps desperately need help up front.

Currently, they're tied for second fewest goals scored in the season with 32.  Compare that with the league leader Philadelphia with 63.

I think Cavallini is gone after this year - 17 goals in three seasons and 61 games.  Not nearly good enough for a DP striker.

And which is the real Brian White?  The guy who scored 12 goals in 27 Whitecap games last season or the guy who has scored 3 goals in 21 games this year?

I'd be sorry to see Vanni go but it wouldn't be a big surprise.

The jury is out on Schöpft until about the first third of next season but the Gressel acquistion might be a good one going forward though I think some of the things he does best on the attack aren't being utilized enough.  Berhalter looks to have a future here but might get stymied by behind the scenes pressure to feature cradle-to-grave one club man Teibert.  But some of the other decisions by Schuster warrant scrutiny.  Freezing out Gutierrez (even though he seems to be higher maintenance with injuries and possibly other things) but signing a truly left footed LB/LWB who has hardly been in the squad (Martins) is pretty underwhelming, to be generous.  Heralding Caio as practically a new signing (to paraphrase Schuster) and then not seeing him on the field after his hand injury is another one.  Unless White turns it around big time next season, the decision to sign him longer term on bigger coin looks like it goes in the face of what the analytics folks might have said (which is that last year was a complete outlier).  

The huge plus:  El Pirãna is a stud.  They found their Diego Chara!  Another forward is certainly a top priority but they also need to find someone to partner Cubas who can go box to box and chip in way more offence to take the pressure off of Gauld (I thought the Austrian would be it but he looks more a forward in his role). As well, a left footed flank player and LCB and/or LB need to emerge:  they are too predictable down the left side when relying on right footed players.  Finally, the keeping needs to be thoroughly evaluated.

Phew!  That looks suspiciously like a Robbo-style rebuild/roster churn.

he brought the team to playoffs last year and won canadian championship this year so think hes pretty likely to at least have the first part of 2023 which is the last year of his contract...if they are not doing well over that first part they can bring in someone else and will only have to pay him Sartini until end of 2023

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

he brought the team to playoffs last year and won canadian championship this year

I guess.  To be fair though he did it with a narrow home win and two draws. Sure, it's a trophy, but I personally don't think it's enough.  That they have managed to be so disinteresting and compelling at a time when the city has nothing else to get excited for (Canucks, Lions) is a condemnation of their leadership. 

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

he brought the team to playoffs last year and won canadian championship this year so think hes pretty likely to at least have the first part of 2023 which is the last year of his contract...if they are not doing well over that first part they can bring in someone else and will only have to pay him Sartini until end of 2023

I have always been baffled that people, be they managers, or executives in companies or government, get paid after they  have been fired for cause. Very odd . . . lucrative, but odd.

they brought a lot of talent in cubas, schopf, gauld, gressel + a bunch of latinos so you could argue that theres more there than colorado and rsl...gotta beat colorado at the very least in a must win game like that and not fall flat...but a team that in 2022 starts godinho in mls gets what they deserve lol

If they upgrade the coach, by firing Sartini before the season ends, allowing for an interim setup for a few weeks, they are showing their will to improve the team the same as they have done with player signings. Which I felt were solid for the most part.

Then we can see if Sartini gets hired for a team of the level of the Caps. I seriously doubt he'll find work anywhere near the level he is coaching now.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If they upgrade the coach, by firing Sartini before the season ends, allowing for an interim setup for a few weeks, they are showing their will to improve the team the same as they have done with player signings. Which I felt were solid for the most part.

Then we can see if Sartini gets hired for a team of the level of the Caps. I seriously doubt he'll find work anywhere near the level he is coaching now.

I was expecting a presser tomorrow announcing such a change but have not heard of anything so far.  

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

they brought a lot of talent in cubas, schopf, gauld, gressel + a bunch of latinos so you could argue that theres more there than colorado and rsl...gotta beat colorado at the very least in a must win game like that and not fall flat...but a team that in 2022 starts godinho in mls gets what they deserve lol

Funny, I actually think Godinho has looked better than Schopf, and better than most of the latinos.  Arguably, as good as Gressel has looked.  Certainly better than Brown and Nerwinski.

29 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Funny, I actually think Godinho has looked better than Schopf, and better than most of the latinos.  Arguably, as good as Gressel has looked.  Certainly better than Brown and Nerwinski.

Godinho has shown some sneaky dribbling skills and has done well cutting in from the left to get off right footed shots but his out swinging crossing isn't very consistent.  He has improved significantly since last season but he's still a back up guy.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Based purely on talent are Vancouver even really a playoff worthy team?

Seattle and LA Galaxy are both also outside the playoff spots and are both arguably better

In?  We can debate that.  But "in the mix"?  They probably should be, though they've also been undone by goalkeeping all season.  Sartini can probably (rightfully) argue that they started the season a bit poorly while dealing with injuries, Schuster's offseason inactivity, and Crepeau's departure.  But they're collapsing down the stretch after Schuster did bring in re-enforcements, and that's much more on Sartini.

Edited by Watchmen

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think they need an "interim" to setup for a few weeks.  I think they need to do a proper coaching search for the first time in the clubs MLS history.  Not a "global search" that just miraculously finds out that their assistant manager was the right guy all along.