Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

It's probably going to be too little too late, but Vancouver could still slip in. 

Will have to win both matches left almost certainly. One at home vs. Austin, but Austin does not have a lot to play for, they get the home match in playoffs regardless. Then vs. Minnesota away, they too may have already qualified the week previously; but could be fighting for the home game in playoffs.

Galaxy have a game in hand, and play San José, who you can't expect much from.

Galaxy and Salt Lake then play each other one match, so either or both will lose points.

I think that loss to Nashville at home was pretty definitive. It felt like it, and I think it will be, but there's an outside chance.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's probably going to be too little too late, but Vancouver could still slip in. 

Will have to win both matches left almost certainly. One at home vs. Austin, but Austin does not have a lot to play for, they get the home match in playoffs regardless. Then vs. Minnesota away, they too may have already qualified the week previously; but could be fighting for the home game in playoffs.

Galaxy have a game in hand, and play San José, who you can't expect much from.

Galaxy and Salt Lake then play each other one match, so either or both will lose points.

I think that loss to Nashville at home was pretty definitive. It felt like it, and I think it will be, but there's an outside chance.

When they blew the game at home to Minnesota, I thought that was their key game. 6 point swing, and if the Whitecaps had won they'd be in and Minnesota out.

5 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Moreno at the death for Portland, ended 1-1. 46 points probably won’t be enough. Unfortunate.

Basically need to run the table and hope one of LA Galaxy or Minnesota collapses.

The one intriguing thing is Vancouver play Minnesota on the last match day. That match might decide a final playoff spot

I thought Martins has been good at the LB in his two starts.  Picked his overlapping moments well and can use his natural left foot to dangerous effect with those outswinging crosses in behind the CBs (watching Moutinho's similar excellent service vs TFC last night also showed the value of such passing and not relying right footed guys always cutting inside).

Happy for Hasal.  Showed the presence needed in dealing with crosses and not simply being rooted to his line and relying on his CBs to do the job.

2 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

True, but 1st tie break is number of wins. Vancouver can’t reach Minnesota on that.

Minnesota is on 45 points and Vancouver on 40.

Only way they can pass them is with 2 wins and Minnesota losing their last 2.

The tough part for Vancouver will be beating a strong Austin. But if they do and Minnesota lose to San Jose the last match day will be meaningful 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Minnesota is on 45 points and Vancouver on 40.

Only way they can pass them is with 2 wins and Minnesota losing their last 2.

The tough part for Vancouver will be beating a strong Austin. But if they do and Minnesota lose to San Jose the last match day will be meaningful 

They're still good, but Austin is less formidable on the road at least.

I agree with @Watchmen regardless of what happens they need to upgrade the coach next year. 

The roster is solid and only needs a few little touches here and there. With Hasal getting minutes, keeping looks more optimistic; maybe someone to replace Nerwinski altogether, a third striker of worth pressuring White and Cava. Maybe another creative mid to relieve those there.

But this roster should be good enough to make the playoffs.

Touting Vanni as an inspirational, emotional coach, but being blown out frequently and having such a poor GD? That is a team that just gives up way too often, lets itself get played out of matches quickly and is already looking to the next one when down 2-0 away first half. So what we have is a weak character, as a group, and a slow-starting weak character week in, week out. And that is on the coach.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with @Watchmen regardless of what happens they need to upgrade the coach next year. 

The roster is solid and only needs a few little touches here and there. With Hasal getting minutes, keeping looks more optimistic; maybe someone to replace Nerwinski altogether, a third striker of worth pressuring White and Cava. Maybe another creative mid to relieve those there.

But this roster should be good enough to make the playoffs.

Touting Vanni as an inspirational, emotional coach, but being blown out frequently and having such a poor GD? That is a team that just gives up way too often, lets itself get played out of matches quickly and is already looking to the next one when down 2-0 away first half. So what we have is a weak character, as a group, and a slow-starting weak character week in, week out. And that is on the coach.

I have no problem with Vanni coming back.

The team's main problem is lack of scoring.  And Vanni can't score.

What this team needs is a new goal scorer.   And a rejuvenated Brian White. 

4 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

What this team needs is a new goal scorer.   And a rejuvenated Brian White. 

They need far, far more offensive service from anyone other than the Scottish ace.  Gressel was brought in to address that issue.  With a proper preseason, will the Swiss guy provide the same and will Vite develop the consistency needed for the task.

45 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They need far, far more offensive service from anyone other than the Scottish ace.  Gressel was brought in to address that issue.  With a proper preseason, will the Swiss guy provide the same and will Vite develop the consistency needed for the task.

Just so I understand:  Are you suggesting that our strikers are good enough and that the problem is they're not getting enough playable balls from the midfield?

2 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

Just so I understand:  Are you suggesting that our strikers are good enough and that the problem is they're not getting enough playable balls from the midfield?

No, I am stating that part of the offensive problem is also the lack of contribution from midfield, particularly from the centre mids.  I am not expecting Cubas to be that guy because we know what his (excellent) role is.  But the others?  Not enough key passes let alone assists (or even goals like Osorio has delivered for TFC).  And from the wing, in a relatively short time compared to the incumbent wingbacks, Gressel has produced a a good number of key passes and popped some goals.

• 2 weeks later...