Canadian player soccer cards

dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

They will lose money IMO.  Guys who were were spending lots on bulk orders will see a lot less value in their purchases.  It completely disincentives any purchase of multiples.  

Yeah, I'm guessing they saw people buying the 20 pack and then reselling them and thought they could get in on that. But that's not how it works, as the initial buyer is taking a gamble.

I guess the one counter is that it might drive up the value of the cards, since there might be fewer out there.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I'm guessing they saw people buying the 20 pack and then reselling them and thought they could get in on that. But that's not how it works, as the initial buyer is taking a gamble.

I guess the one counter is that it might drive up the value of the cards, since there might be fewer out there.

Yeah.  And truth be told, if there is a primo 🇨🇦 rookie I would prob still grab one or two for that exact reason.  The question is who you go for.   Probably has to be someone that won’t have a card in the same-season sets - otherwise the TN card won’t hold value.  And the main sets generally get released way past the end of the season (especially the premium sets) so there will be a bit of gambling involved.  

Just trying to think who I would grab.  Maybe Saliba, Vilsant or possibly Kerr…? I was really hoping Kerr would grab a late equalizer last game to warrant a card with the brace.  Otherwise it is challenging to see some of these guys having enough impact in a game to get the card, especially since it seems like Canadians (on Canadian teams) often need to do more than their American counterparts to get included.  

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah.  And truth be told, if there is a primo 🇨🇦 rookie I would prob still grab one or two for that exact reason.  The question is who you go for.   Probably has to be someone that won’t have a card in the same-season sets - otherwise the TN card won’t hold value.  And the main sets generally get released way past the end of the season (especially the premium sets) so there will be a bit of gambling involved.  

Just trying to think who I would grab.  Maybe Saliba, Vilsant or possibly Kerr…? I was really hoping Kerr would grab a late equalizer last game to warrant a card with the brace.  Otherwise it is challenging to see some of these guys having enough impact in a game to get the card, especially since it seems like Canadians (on Canadian teams) often need to do more than their American counterparts to get included.  

Indeed. That's why I was keenly watching for Ahmed to get one: not big enough to be in the regular run, but knew he'd do something to get a Now card.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Hello fellow nerds....

Latest for the collection is the Victor Loturi rookie /5. Wish I could have bought the Davies Topps MLS 1/1 when it went up for auction 6 weeks ago. Ended up going for $2260. I would gladly pay that price now that I have the funds...

20231009_173807.jpg

20231009_173818.jpg

That is awesome.  I definitely like your strategy of fewer/rarer cards.  

Checklist is out for Panini Donruss Women's World Cup Set. I believe October 20 is still the release date. Not sure if Canadian retailers will have this.

They have Sinclair and Huitema autos.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2023-donruss-fifa-womens-world-cup-soccer-cards

Canadian cards available:

19 Adriana Leon - Canada
20 Allysha Chapman - Canada
21 Desiree Scott - Canada
22 Julia Grosso - Canada
23 Kadeisha Buchanan - Canada
24 Kailen Sheridan - Canada

203 Christine Sinclair - Canada +autos
204 Jordyn Huitema - Canada + autos

3 Jordyn Huitema - Canada (Intergalactic Insert)

3 Ashley Lawrence - Canada (National Landmarks insert)
4 Christine Sinclair - Canada (National Landmarks insert)
5 Jessie Fleming - Canada (National Landmarks insert)

4 Ashley Lawrence - Canada (Net Marvels insert)

4 Jordyn Huitema - Canada (Pitch Queens insert)
5 Sophie Schmidt - Canada (Pitch Queens insert)

2 Christine Sinclair - Canada (Star Status insert)
3 Jessie Fleming - Canada (Star Status insert)

Of course there are also a million different parallels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For dyslexic and others into cards, saw an article saying for Euros 24 Panini has been replaced and Topps will do the cards, Panini had been the official brand for the Euros since 1976. 

Is that Topps bidding harder to get into European soccer, or Panini in decline?

Topps was bought by Fanatics so they may be looking to reclaim a bit of space.  

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For dyslexic and others into cards, saw an article saying for Euros 24 Panini has been replaced and Topps will do the cards, Panini had been the official brand for the Euros since 1976. 

Is that Topps bidding harder to get into European soccer, or Panini in decline?

There seems to be a bit of a war between the 2 companies. Both of them have been scooping up smaller competitors. Panini bought Score and Donruss. Topps owns Merlin and I think Bowman too.

As Nam mentioned above, Topps is now owned by Fanatics. The same company that runs Canada Soccer Store for the CSA by the way.

It does feel like Topps is pulling away from Panini.

Another rumour I've seen is Topps also has the rights to the next World Cup too.

Both companies have also been in the news over a spat over NFL trading cares.

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

There seems to be a bit of a war between the 2 companies. Both of them have been scooping up smaller competitors. Panini bought Score and Donruss. Topps owns Merlin and I think Bowman too.

As Nam mentioned above, Topps is now owned by Fanatics. The same company that runs Canada Soccer Store for the CSA by the way.

It does feel like Topps is pulling away from Panini.

Another rumour I've seen is Topps also has the rights to the next World Cup too.

Both companies have also been in the news over a spat over NFL trading cares.

I really never knew Panini was so big, for some odd reason in Spain they have their offices in a town near the coast up towards France from Barcelona, a really odd place to have their base. Most people here think they are some local outfit, people trading --there is a massive Sunday street market in Barcelona for trading all kinds of cards, games, chips, along with a bookfair-- I don't think have any idea of it being a big company. I did not know they had the NBA or NHL, for example.

16 hours ago, narduch said:

Not a rumor, it's a fact... I did read an article back in 2021 that panini lost the world cup rights by FIFA to topps. They had an exclusive windows to renew the contract and they declined it due to exorbitant fees.  Similar to EA losing the rights to FIFA video games.