Canadian player soccer cards

dyslexic nam

13 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Can a couple of you folks tell me if starting to collect this type of card is expensive or if some card are hard to find? Is there a preferred card brand to follow? Thanks.

All just my opinion, so take it FWIW.

- A big part depends on whether or not you plan to focus on Canadian players of want to collect soccer generally.  Collecting soccer cards more generally will complicate things and quickly get crazy.  If you just stick to Canadians, it is  a lot easier since you just need to keep an eye out for new cards from a small number of players in Europe, and then just pick you battles for MLS cards.

- MLS cards are in a weird sort of transition right now where the long-term fans think they should remain an inexpensive option like they have been historically, but some people new to the hobby (or capitalizing on the opportunity) are starting to price them pretty much on par with UCL-type cards.  That JMR card for example cost me $17 on ebay - and $10 of that was shipping.  The actual price of the card itself was $2 USD.  Meanwhile a guy in a FB group wanted $50 USD for an identical /50 JMR Future Stars card.  (And all this in a context where I can buy an auto card from well know global players for $15 or $20)

- For brands, there are only a few well respected ones, but lots of variations underneath that.  Topps and Panini are the big two brands, but they have a ton of sub-brands or series.  For example, last year's MLS run consisted of base, Sapphire, Chrome, Finest, and Renaissance.  And that is just MLS.  For European leagues Topps will add in Merlin as a sub brand, Stadium, etc.  Panini does similar stuff with various sub-themes and brands (like Mosaic).  Davies Panini-issued "Rated Rookie" card (his first with Bayern) had like 10+ variations.  Then you have to factor in which leagues or competitions you want to focus on - their specific league, club competitions, or international runs.  So if you want Davies, do you collect his Bundesliga cards (at various times there have been different series by both Topps and Panini), his Champions League cards, or his World Cup cards?  Or all of them.  I mention Davies because as a player gets higher profile his card collecting becomes more challenging - and more expensive.  I have essentially given up on new Davies cards at this point.  Many rookie cards have an "RC" logo on them, and David probably has 30 different cards from different sets all claiming to be his rookie (and meanwhile his actual rookie sticker with Gent doesn't have the RC logo). 

If this all sounds complicated, its because it is.  These companies are built to extract as much money from you as possible and the creation of numbered parallels, image variations, sub-brands running concurrent/similar sets, etc - it is all meant to get your money as you scramble to "get 'em all" (Pokemon marketing brilliance).  That is why it may be easier to pick a lane at the beginning and start slow.  I pretty much only focus on rookie-year or early-year Canadians and I am still one big purchase away from sleeping on the couch.  

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, narduch said:

Panini Copa America 2024 sticker album should be available on March 15.

I will be collecting it if anyone wants to trade. 

Here's a few Canadian players that are confirmed. 

Screenshot_20240226_132543_WhatsApp.jpg

I wonder if they go up in value if the team misses the tournament. The old "error card" print run. 😄

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I wonder if they go up in value if the team misses the tournament. The old "error card" print run. 😄

I guess we'll find out with the T&T players 😜

I noticed noticed CPL Andre Rampersad is in the album too

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is great news.  Will definitely be getting a few.  

By the way, aside from a Match Attax card (that isn't too common and often ignored by collectors) this would be Millar's rookie.  

What about Kone?

I've noticed Panini and Topps have started using RS or Rookie Sticker. But I've only seen that in the NBA and NHL albums 

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Yes. Apparently Topps Finest is out now and he has cards in that set as well.

Yeah - Finest is a cool set but man it is expensive.  MLS used to be a great venue for affordable cards but prices are getting crazy.

Nice JRR auto.  I like the quality over quantity approach - though in this case it looks like quality and quantity. 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I'll file this under "quality over quantity". Hopefully a few more beauties coming once my wallet allows.

20240301_101842.jpg

If you bought that in the FB group recently (I won't dox you), it is the one I thought long and hard about buying.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, narduch said:

I just like collecting Canadian players. Not really looking to make a fortune in the future. 

This one is from 1996 Panini Football League from when Pesch was with Stoke. 

Screenshot_20240301_123549_Gallery.jpg

Those sorts of cool finds are (to me) just as cool as the heavy hitters.  I even have a secret one that I have been trying to track down (not advertising here to minimize competition lol)

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 2/26/2024 at 5:57 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Forgot about that.   

Ali Ahmed is in the Copa America album too.

That one may technically be a rookie card if you don't consider Topps Now

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Personal bias - I definitely consider the early TN cards as rookies.  Even if they are “call-ups”.  

They're the ones I'm always the most interested in collecting, and can have some of the lowest print runs.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They're the ones I'm always the most interested in collecting, and can have some of the lowest print runs.

Yeah, combo of low print run (they are all essentially a /xxx card) and being the first ones out makes them attractive for me.  If you look at a guy like Kone, he has one in 2022.  He hasn’t had anything since and other than the 2024 Copa sticker that @narduch previewed above, he doesn’t have anything at all in the interim.   If he ever makes it big I find it hard to believe that the TN card wouldn’t be treated like his de facto rookie - with or without the “RC” logo.   

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, combo of low print run (they are all essentially a /xxx card) and being the first ones out makes them attractive for me.  If you look at a guy like Kone, he has one in 2022.  He hasn’t had anything since and other than the 2024 Copa sticker that @narduch previewed above, he doesn’t have anything at all in the interim.   If he ever makes it big I find it hard to believe that the TN card wouldn’t be treated like his de facto rookie - with or without the “RC” logo.   

Yup, same situation with Ali Ahmed. Print run of 180.  Kone hit 1039.