2020 CPL Island Games

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Come on Gator, I realize Forge isnt Toronto, but do we really need a reason to hate a team from Ontario??  My default setting is hating Calgary, hating Ontario and it takes something special to change that (ie TFC).  😀

We have the same default setting. 

But honestly, I am totally in favour of all the Canadian teams, and especially Canadian players. Last year I was all over Cavalry until they started playing and proved to be the best team in the league, only screwing up the final, IMO. They were great to watch, better than Forge as I saw it. 

I'd prefer another team to win this season, being a Pacific fan that is clear.

I just think that Forge took a bit of a cynical attitude into this first round when it came to U-21 minutes, they chose to take the least risks and the least chances on our kids, and only pulled it out by playing their young keeper the final match. a bit of brinkmanship (like Kennedy and Bay of Pigs). That was not the spirit of the rule: it is there to ensure we are giving generous minutes to young players, it should not be taken as a bother and irritation and something to attend to with apparent reluctance.

Maybe Forge leaving playing U-21 players until late in the tournament had something to do with the schedule.  They played Ottawa and Winnipeg in their last two games, and maybe they felt that was the best time to play their young players.  Other teams might have done the same, just that those matches were scheduled earlier for them.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Better TV results for MLS last week. The tape delay had a bad rating for the 2nd week in a row for CPL.

I find those numbers interesting.   On dedicated sports channels (that all sports fans have), MLS outdraws CPL (on CBC, which everyone has but many people don’t turn to for sports outside of Olympics or WC coverage).  But the gap isn’t as big as you might expect considering MLS has been around longer, they own the three biggest markets in Canada, and these matches are all-Canadian matchups which should both be more interesting to Canadian footy fans and leverages the fan base in two markets.   

If I was a CPL boss, I would hope for higher numbers but not be too concerned.  If I was a Canadian MLS exec, I think I would be more worried.  

Question

Anyone else have the feeling that Wheeldon Jr. is hiding his hand in Jair Cordova? Kind of feel that he's slowly giving him playing time so he gets used to CPL and peak towards the finals and eventually the Canadian Championship where I think he will start in is front 3.

His stats in Peru shows that he might definitely have a trump card under his sleeve...or it's all in my head lol

image.png.8ae0434c959a1fcc2e087ddf3f644d87.png

Cordova has been injured and likely would have featured much more already. That said he is still a trump card if he is fit now, just because he is fresh and other teams won't necessarily know what to expect. Just an accidental/coincidental one. 

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I find those numbers interesting.   On dedicated sports channels (that all sports fans have), MLS outdraws CPL (on CBC, which everyone has but many people don’t turn to for sports outside of Olympics or WC coverage).  But the gap isn’t as big as you might expect considering MLS has been around longer, they own the three biggest markets in Canada, and these matches are all-Canadian matchups which should both be more interesting to Canadian footy fans and leverages the fan base in two markets.   

If I was a CPL boss, I would hope for higher numbers but not be too concerned.  If I was a Canadian MLS exec, I think I would be more worried.  

I think it is all in the promo. I don't watch CBC or any tv regularly enough these days to know but pushing the visibility of the games on CBC will help massively. I would hazard a guess that most neutrals that might tune in probably don't know the difference between the CPL and the MLS, so there are numbers to be made there if you can reach them. I would still like to know the OneSoccer numbers and whether the CBC/TSN numbers include PVR. I always watch One Soccer and record CBC. 

What does everybody think of CPL's Best XI?  Looks strong including the "Substitutes".  Any misses? Anybody headed to higher leagues? I wonder if the Whitecaps will revisit Sissoko or Chung. How about Zator in Vancouver? Would he be up to the challenge?

https://canpl.ca/article/canpl-cas-best-xi-of-the-island-games-wanders-and-forge-lead-the-way

Cheers!

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

What does everybody think of CPL's Best XI?  Looks strong including the "Substitutes".  Any misses? Anybody headed to higher leagues? I wonder if the Whitecaps will revisit Sissoko or Chung. How about Zator in Vancouver? Would he be up to the challenge?

https://canpl.ca/article/canpl-cas-best-xi-of-the-island-games-wanders-and-forge-lead-the-way

Cheers!

Lots of guys on the list that I didn’t see enough of to comment, but no complaints with the guys I am familiar with. Dunn is the only guy that seems to be missing. Oh, and Babouli. I thought about Aparicio but maybe just an honourable mention for his free kicks. Ultimately he needs to create more in open play though.

3 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Cheers!

I really don't see the Whitecaps re-signing guys they let go from their own system, and that includes Bustos.  Sissoko was only on preseason trial so maybe he would be different:  he hadn't proved himself at a higher level than Usports until this abbreviated season.  They have had success with signing more pro experienced Cancon from elsewhere (starting with Edgar and De Jong and now continuing with Crepeau, Cornelius, and Guttierez) so I think they will continue in that direction.