Canadian’s Abroad Dec 27th - Jan 2, 2020

jordan

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for Dec 27th - Jan 2, 2020.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

At the Beşiktas match.  Hutch is playing in a pretty advanced role up front.  23 mins in and Beşiktaş have had probably 75% possession but just got done to a counterattack by Gençlerbirligi.  Think Karius (of Liverpool fame) could have done better on the goal.

EDIT: think I’ve passively smoked a pack of cigarettes since I got to my seat.

two Gençlerbirligi sent off already- one via VAR.  But Beşiktaş can’t break them down.  Lots of name players for Beşiktaş playing poorly.

Edited by JamboAl

Just got back from the match and a post match quick meal with some newly made Besiktas supporter friends.  First of all, Genclerbirligi went down to 9 men by the 35th minute but took the lead in the meantime (ex-Liverpool keeper Karius could have done better).  Besiktas looked disjointed in the first half and even though Hutch didn't play poorly, there was little movement off the ball for him.  The second half was much better but that's because Hutch played some amazing through balls for the 2nd and 3rd goals and a nice flick to Vida for the first.  The goal he scored was a deft touch that any striker would have been proud of.  The one thing I noticed was that Hutch almost played as a 3rd striker; many times, he was the furthest forward but ran his butt off to be the outlet for the defenders.  He was by far, the man of the match and I felt proud to be a Canadian in a stadium full of passionate Turks.  At the end of the match, Hutch brought his kids out and saluted the ultras in their end.  The locals really love our captain.

Edited by JamboAl

3 hours ago, jordan said:

Scotland

Arfield is on the bench for this morning's match with Celtic.

In with ten to go

2-1 final, camera cut to Fraser Aird celebrating in the crowd

Why did they cut to him? I know he played for Rangers but still seems a bit weird

• jordan unpinned this topic