Right Back Depth

baulderdash77

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Zator has been starting at RB ahead of Godinho. It probably depends what formation we play

Yea yea, but this is about ranking guys based on their primary position. 
Because if not Davies would be at the top of every list then. 😏

On 2/28/2023 at 6:39 AM, Shway said:

3 year bump. But this looks completely different.

For me it looks like this.

1. Laryea
1b. Johnston
2. ZBG
3. Farsi
4. Godinho
5. Chung

I see Johnston as #1. As someone pointed out, Zator has been used at right as well - he'd be ahead of Farsi for me behind ZBG

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I see Johnston as #1. As someone pointed out, Zator has been used at right as well - he'd be ahead of Farsi for me behind ZBG

I forgot to put my sentiment towards this....I think he can be #1, I just rate Laryeas game going forward a lot more than Johnstons. And they both are sound defensively. 

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

To me, Brault-Guillard is an underrated RB.  Solid defensively and a regular contributor on the attack in MLS.  His first touch can let him down on occasion, however, but I have always liked him.  It's just that the two guys ahead of him on the list are more dynamic and/or versatile.

and one of the most consistent guys on the team. 

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

To me, Brault-Guillard is an underrated RB.  Solid defensively and a regular contributor on the attack in MLS.  His first touch can let him down on occasion, however, but I have always liked him.  It's just that the two guys ahead of him on the list are more dynamic and/or versatile.

I have said it before but it is still true  -  in any other era, a guy with ZBG’s talent, playing level and age profile would have us all freaking out and locking him in as a starter.  He just finds himself in the unfortunate situation that he plays a position where we have ridiculous depth.  

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I forgot to put my sentiment towards this....I think he can be #1, I just rate Laryeas game going forward a lot more than Johnstons. And they both are sound defensively. 

I don’t disagree with this assessment, but the gap going forward isn’t as great as they eye test might otherwise suggest. Over the last year, Laryea’s non-penalty expected goals plus expected assists per game was 0.19/90mins. Johnston’s was 0.15 despite playing a good chunk (most?) of that as a centre back. 

Johnston doesn’t have the dribbling trickery and rarely caries the ball forward himself, but he still contributes on the scoreboard.

40 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I don’t disagree with this assessment, but the gap going forward isn’t as great as they eye test might otherwise suggest. Over the last year, Laryea’s non-penalty expected goals plus expected assists per game was 0.19/90mins. Johnston’s was 0.15 despite playing a good chunk (most?) of that as a centre back. 

Johnston doesn’t have the dribbling trickery and rarely caries the ball forward himself, but he still contributes on the scoreboard.

and I don't disagree. I prefer either or....but if I had to pick I like Laryea. 
RB is the most solid position we have. 

On 3/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, Shway said:

and I don't disagree. I prefer either or....but if I had to pick I like Laryea. 
RB is the most solid position we have. 

I'd argue that LB is even more solid. 
1. Davies - Best LB in the world. 
2. Adekugbe - Is arguably as solid as AJ. I think AJ will surpass adekugbe but for now its close.
3. Laryea - Can play both sides
4. Edwards - about a ZBG level 
5. Abzi 

Based on AJ recents performances, he has to be above laryea. Hes more solid defensively and contributes to the build up play better than Laryea. Laryea wins attacking 1v1's more but hes got to raise his game to the next level like AJ has done.

• 2 months later...

Niko Sigur's arrival, as a makeshift RB who is apparently more of a natural midfielder, will be a good test of our depth with the full national squad. Twenty years ago, Serioux and Simpson showed up at Millwall and pretty much waltzed into our 18, if not our starting 11. 

Fast forward to 2023 and you have another young, unheralded Canadian making waves at a historic and reputable European club and it will be interesting how he might fit into the mix. Perfect timing with a lot of minutes up for grabs this year. Early days, but arguably he could be top five at RB, as well as a potentially even more useful option as a depth player in the middle of the park.

56 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah right backs and left backs if we get more depth in those 2 areas for 2026 at home in our home World Cup, we are golden

Id argue thats one of our deepest positions. 

Davies, sam, petrasso, edwards abzi laryea, ferdinand can all play lb (as can miller and kennedy)

Johnston, laryea, farsi, buchanan, zator, zbg, JMR can all play RB