Right Back Depth

baulderdash77

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Laryea

Cordova

Zbg

Doner

This will be an interesting battle for the 2nd spot, but you have to think Zbg has the upper hand at the moment.. 

Cordova didn't see the field last camp (against Cuba) and Brault-guillard was just awarded best young Canadian of the Voyageurs Cup, ironically handed to him by Herdman himself...

2 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

I think Cordova gets called again for USA ahead of ZBG and definitely ahead of Godinho. If he does, he’s the current #2 RB. 

Herdman had him Cordova in camp and didnt give him a start, not sure how much to read into that. It wouldnt surprise me if he called Lareya and had had one of his shorhorned midfielder replacements as back up.  

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Herdman had him Cordova in camp and didnt give him a start, not sure how much to read into that. It wouldnt surprise me if he called Lareya and had had one of his shorhorned midfielder replacements as back up.  

Don't think JH is going to make the same mistake he made with the GC squad... based on his statements pre Cuba game plus his squad selection for those 2 games....

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Don't think JH is going to make the same mistake he made with the GC squad... based on his statements pre Cuba game plus his squad selection for those 2 games....

Agreed for sure. 

Godhino looked great going forward vs Martinique and Cuba, but also got exposed defensively quite a bit in those games... Martinique and Cuba's finishing was simply horrendous in those games, should have definitely scored vs us. Haiti clearly scouted we lacked the quality in our fullbacks with the amount of diagonal balls they played to challenge our FBs.

Hope ZBG gets another crack at some point. He was tossed out as a RM/RWB in a 3-4-3 / 5-3-2 vs the best team in the region. Did not have a great game but honestly, not sure anyone else would have done better. Yes he was partially responsible for Mexico first goal but it did take a deflection of Hutch's head(miss clearance) when we were down to 10 men with Cornelius dealing with a bloody nose. 

I've always wonder how ZBG would have done vs Martinique and Cuba, can't see it being a disaster. 

As of right now, Laryea looks great and is likely our current #1, but he's only faced Cuba. USA will be a big test for him. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Aside from Pulisic, the American wingers will be MLS level. Morris, Arriola, Baird, such players he faces every week with Toronto. They will challenge him, but I think he's shown enough that he will handle it.

Doesn't the United States national team have better guys than those? Haven't a few of those German born Americans panned out yet or are they struggling at  their respective Bundesliga youth sides? 

Edited by Macksam

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Doesn't the United States national team have better guys than those? Haven't a few of those German born Americans panned out yet or are they still struggling on  their respective Bundesliga youth sides? 

Pulisic and Boyd (Besiktas) started on the wings in their last friendly against Mex.  Neither of them is getting any time with their club. 

Morris and Boyd started on the wings against Uruguay. 

Morris and Arriola started on the wings in the Gold Cup final.  Pulisic played behind them.

19 y/o Sargent is starting to get minutes at striker with Bremen.  I imagine he will play up top and not Altidore given this is basically a friendly for the US.

Tim Weah I believe is still injured and has not been seeing minutes with Lille.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Aside from Pulisic, the American wingers will be MLS level. Morris, Arriola, Baird, such players he faces every week with Toronto. They will challenge him, but I think he's shown enough that he will handle it.

Yeah, if there's a weakpoint I don't think it's going to be down that right side.

32 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Doesn't the United States national team have better guys than those? Haven't a few of those German born Americans panned out yet or are they still struggling on  their respective Bundesliga youth sides? 

Weah is injured, Sargent is a CF, Boyd is not playing. Everyone else is MLS level or equivalent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:21 AM, apbsmith said:

As of right now, Laryea looks great and is likely our current #1, but he's only faced Cuba. USA will be a big test for him. 

Regardless of which players start in the fullback spots, the key is the team shape and defensive support the fullbacks have when we don't have the ball.  For me, Laryea starts on his home field.

• 3 years later...
44 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Zator has been starting at RB ahead of Godinho. It probably depends what formation we play

I am still wondering why the Caps decided to part ways with Godinho.  Though I don't think he sh*ts Snickers bars and pisses apple juice, he might have been a better contender to start in his natural RB spot.  He could at least have been a swingman for either fullback side  

I know he would have been due for a raise but it wouldn't have been a (salary) cap killer.  Schuster's apready badly overpaid for extensions on Dajome, White, and (probably) Martins.:  not a good look for the CEO and Sporting Director here.

Brown is a feast-or-famine guy while Raposo is dropping back from winger to wingback and now to learning another new position at RB (though I believe he is still on a GA deal, which is a bonus).

As for Zator, he just needs keep getting regular starts and doing the job at club level.  Maybe we get to see him in March?

Edited by BearcatSA

57 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am still wondering why the Caps decided to part ways with Godinho.  Though I don't think he sh*ts Snickers bars and pisses apple juice, he might have been a better contender to start in his natural RB spot.  He could at least have been a swingman for either fullback side  

I know he would have been due for a raise but it wouldn't have been a (salary) cap killer.  Schuster's apready badly overpaid for extensions on Dajome, White, and (probably) Martins.:  not a good look for the CEO and Sporting Director here.

Whitecaps didn't go after Zator either, even though he was once in  their system.I don't think he sh*ts Snickers bars and pisses apple juice either, but at least one club seems to rate him higher than Godinho.

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

Chung shouldn't even be on the list.

Will probably be on Unnattached FC soon

I imagine he'll find a club very soon. I didn't watch him in Toronto, but he was extremely reliable for Pacific. CPL may be his ceiling, but I'd be surprised if he can't find somewhere to play