How many years from now would a CPL club win CCL?

I was wondering since the CPL has a really great business plan and from the academies it's likely to have decent talent, this league could give the CCL some challenge and maybe disrupt Liga MX never-ending domination. Out of all CONCACAF leagues, only Canada has the potential to become a top league aside from Mexico given the amount of money and resources available. Costa Rica is this region's #2 but they have the problem of needing to sell the top players to stay alive and that's especially true for Saprissa. Before we thought that MLS might've been a challenger to CCL but it turns out they're a big joke and full of nonsensical rules that keeps them in mediocrity and rather than catching up to Liga MX, they're falling further behind (it took 2 Canadian clubs to give MLS any respect).

So if CPL does things right and continues to grow and develop, when can we see a CCL winner from Canada in the future? Because other than Mexico, only Canada has the tools, knowledge, resources, and willingness to be a major player in CONCACAF. Other than that it's either the incompetence and instability of the USA or financially strained CA/Caribbean FA's or a mix of both for some (e.g. Guatemala). And if the reforms by the CSA continue I think it might be better organized than Mexico's FMF in the future.

3 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

So am I allowed to ask this question? What parts I said were incorrect? If you don't like my trolling I'll explain in further detail what arguments you have against me.

The parts that were incorrect is your complete disregard of MLS. You bring up finances as a reason why CPL is the only one capable of beating out Mexican teams even though MLS spends MUCH MORE on their rosters than we are expecting the CPL to. And somehow you think MLS is falling further behind despite the last CCL run that TFC had where they knocked out two big Mexican clubs and just ran out of gas enough to lose in a shootout in the final.

Maybe a CPL team can win the CCL someday, but I would hate to speculate as to when that can happen, and it’s clear trolling to slot MLS chances behind CPL before a ball is kicked in CPL or a player signed even.

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

The parts that were incorrect is your complete disregard of MLS. You bring up finances as a reason why CPL is the only one capable of beating out Mexican teams even though MLS spends MUCH MORE on their rosters than we are expecting the CPL to. And somehow you think MLS is falling further behind despite the last CCL run that TFC had where they knocked out two big Mexican clubs and just ran out of gas enough to lose in a shootout in the final.

Maybe a CPL team can win the CCL someday, but I would hate to speculate as to when that can happen, and it’s clear trolling to slot MLS chances behind CPL before a ball is kicked in CPL or a player signed even.

I said that it took Canadian teams performing well to give MLS any credibility. So I am aware of TFC.

40 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

I said that it took Canadian teams performing well to give MLS any credibility. So I am aware of TFC.

You also said Costa Rica are #2 in the region. Were you aware that all 5 “MLS” (really it’s one Canadian and 4 American) slots are rated higher that Costa Rica’s top slot? And that even Panama has a slot rated higher than Costa Rica’s? See the CONCACAF Club Index on the following page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Champions_League

3 hours ago, Kent said:

You also said Costa Rica are #2 in the region. Were you aware that all 5 “MLS” (really it’s one Canadian and 4 American) slots are rated higher that Costa Rica’s top slot? And that even Panama has a slot rated higher than Costa Rica’s? See the CONCACAF Club Index on the following page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Champions_League

I meant CR is #2 if go by history of the competition, including previous iterations before the 2009 rebranding as a "champions league." An MLS side last won in 2000, while a CR side won in 2005. And Saprissa has beaten MLS sides more often than vice versa.

But back on topic right now CR clubs like Saprissa has to sell their best talents just to pay the bills so they're less able to build really competitive squads compared to before. And the CA and Caribbean countries mostly lack money and/or infrastructure to build high quality leagues and for the island countries they have small populations with soccer not being the #1 sport. So that leaves only 3 Concacaf countries with the capability to build competitive soccer leagues and while Mexico is already the unchallenged #1, that leaves the US and Canada. And so far the US has gotten everything wrong on how to develop a soccer culture - Canada could seize this chance to rise up to the challenge. Canada has the means to become #2 in Concacaf but only if they have the will and follow through a plan. So far I see a great plan from the CPL and CSA so we'll have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

In 5 years time Forge will have a showdown with TFC in the Champion's league final and it will have a feeling that's not unlike the 2013 UEFA CL final between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

This is what you get when you legalize it!

How long is a piece of string?

Hypothetically a CPL team could win it within the next 10 years depended on draw, circumstance, form and luck. 

When can CPL teams be a consistent threat to winning CCL might be a better question and in my opinion you are looking at the best part of two decades IF the league grows and improves how we want it to. 

I’d say it’ll take however long it takes for our top clubs to be as good as MLS’ top clubs, which might be quite a long time if it happens at all. I think that it’s a more realistic short term goal to aspire to overtake all Central American competitions and win the Concacaf League (or whatever they’re calling our version of the Europa League). If we can do that a few times, it’ll mean something. Then we should aim to make deep runs into the CCL... who knows, the Impact got to the final before being an MLS club, so a one off might be possible. 

Not even an MLS Club has been able to win it, Liga MX teams just have too much money to spend and quite frankly more competitive of a league

It shouldn’t be the goal of CPL teams to win it, sure we gotta strive for success and all but i’d say we have to start by being competitive and beat teams from other leagues similar to ours 

Isn't it a bit premature to speculate how a CPL club would fare, for all intents and purposes, in Liga MX? I mean really, while you're at it why not ask the question; How many years from now would a CPL club win the FIFA Club World Cup? Hey quit bogarding and pass me that joint, please.?

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Isn't it a bit premature to speculate how a CPL club would fare, for all intents and purposes, in Liga MX? I mean really, while you're at it why not ask the question; How many years from now would a CPL club win the FIFA Club World Cup? Hey quit bogarding and pass me that joint, please.?

Oh, irony!

18 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

who knows, the Impact got to the final before being an MLS club, so a one off might be possible. 

Correction, Montreal made it to the quarter finals before being an MLS club. Their run to the final was in 2014-15, after they had already been an MLS team for years.

Archived