How many years from now would a CPL club win CCL?

On 11/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, PhillyJawn-guy said:

You're underestimating CPL or overestimating MLS if you think it will take a long time to close the gap. Canada already has better and more serious youth system than the US and the average domestic Canadian could be more skilled than the average American.

This why they've beaten and outperformed us at every level from u17 to Men's for the better part of 3 decades now?

1 hour ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

OK, maybe winning the CCL is too high of a bar in the beginning. But the CPL should be better quality, more competitive, and better organized than MLS in all areas and perform better in the CCL. Remember that Canada has a higher coefficient than the USA in the CCL, and let's keep it that way.

The potential is there but you are jumping on this train 10-20 years early.  Not to mention the obstacles of MLS having way more $ at its disposal and the Americans having a massively bigger player pool than we do.  This is not even a discussion worth having in 2018.  

We are very excited about CanPL up here, it could be a game-changer longterm.  But we are well aware of its limitations in the short term.

The flaw in your logic is that the Canadian teams involved for the last decade have also been from MLS. CanPL teams will not be in any way comparable to Canadian MLS teams in budgetary terms, so the performance of Canadian MLS teams provides no evidence for how a CanPL team would perform in the CCL, if they qualified, especially given the ongoing lack of domestic roster content as regular starters on Canadian MLS teams. The difference in performance between the US and Canada in that competition has mainly been related to the front office and coaching staff of American MLS teams not treating the CCL as a priority.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The flaw in your logic is that the Canadian teams involved for the last decade have also been from MLS. CanPL teams will not be in any way comparable to Canadian MLS teams in budgetary terms, so the performance of Canadian MLS teams provides no evidence for how a CanPL team would perform in the CCL, if they qualified, especially given the ongoing lack of domestic roster content as regular starters on Canadian MLS teams. The difference in performance between the US and Canada in that competition has mainly been related to the front office and coaching staff of American MLS team not treating the CCL as a priority.

If Canadian MLS teams can treat CCL seriously, what makes you think a Canadian league won't do the same?

On 11/25/2018 at 12:34 PM, PhillyJawn-guy said:

If Canadian MLS teams can treat CCL seriously, what makes you think a Canadian league won't do the same?

I don't think the issue is that Canadian teams won't take it seriously, but the financial disparity between CPL and MLS/LigaMX rosters will be too great to mount any sort of credible run to a title.

To answer the question I believe it could take at least half a century if not more. Probably won’t be alive to see that.

Granted we have yet to see a ball kicked but given the pedigree and the good ol’ Canadian spirit I suspect we will see in a decade a CPL team make it to Round of 16.

That said how is it going to work now? 1x spot allocated for Canadian Championship and another 1x spot for CPL champ?

1 hour ago, Moldy9 said:

That said how is it going to work now? 1x spot allocated for Canadian Championship and another 1x spot for CPL champ?

We still don't know, but my speculation/hope is still for us to get 1 spot in the CONCACAF League (the little brother of CCL) and for CONCACAF to announce (maybe in a couple years) a mechanism for promotion and relegation of spots between CL and CCL (and for new spots to be awarded into CL). I do think that's a realistic outcome based on the points system they have for both competitions (see my thread about the CONCACAF Club Index, although I think it's not all that readable)

On 11/29/2018 at 9:36 AM, Initial B said:

I don't think the issue is that Canadian teams won't take it seriously, but the financial disparity between CPL and MLS/LigaMX rosters will be too great to mount any sort of credible run to a title.

Financial differences don't always determine results, they're only one of many variables. Monterrey, a big-spending Liga MX club lost to a Panamanian side last year, just like FC Dallas did (Dallas was valued 20x Tauro). Costa Rican teams have won the CCL before and they don't have bigger budgets compared to Mexican ones.

Archived