Canada vs Jamaica Match Thread

A lot of you are acting way too shocked over Larin being so out of sync with the team. He's been in camp for a few days, while they've all been training together for weeks... For that exact reason I agree that he shouldn't have started. However, none of our other strikers finished in this tournament either and so at the very least he should continue to be called into the squad. The starting spot is definitely being contended for, and he is still in the running. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'll say this argument is dependent on who's playing. ...because each of those teams you mentioned have really pacey forward's  (Campbell for CR, Lozano & Corona for MX, Wood, Agudelo for US)...it's the change of pace or direction  that they struggle with, and that's why i think almost every forward has that in our region.

Yup I agree that is the key. I was generalizing by country but yes, the coach has to know what he's getting into when he plays Honduras or Jamaica. You know that regardless of who they start up top, there is going to be pace. With the USA or Mexico? Yeah you have to play a little guessing game, unless you know their line up ahead of time.

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

A lot of you are acting way too shocked over Larin being so out of sync with the team. He's been in camp for a few days, while they've all been training together for weeks... For that exact reason I agree that he shouldn't have started. However, none of our other strikers finished in this tournament either and so at the very least he should continue to be called into the squad. The starting spot is definitely being contended for, and he is still in the running. 

I'm personally not shocked. I would have been more shocked if he was linking up effectively with the team. Hence why I was not too keen on him starting.

5 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Really? I dont want to sound too forceful but how retarded are ya?
Stopped many plays in the middle, tough in the tackles, good tracking back, did the job he was supposed to do.
We lose one game and the majority of the people here want the heads of any players who they personally dont like.
I personally dont like Larin but I still think he deserve another chance, given he shouldnt have started today.
Atleast the Spaniards from Bein sport seems to like our performance, they talked about many of the talking points we have, ex. the CBs should have been a fast cb with a slow cb, that Cavallini added more connection to the team and game play than larin, Piette's holding play was solid, Manjrekar was brilliant after coming on....
some of you people need to relax when we lose, imagine if you guys were the manager, the amount of players you idiots would axe after one non-perfect game, Canada would be at the level of Timor-leste.

Relax....and all the deceieved who jumped to reading this post without going to the original must be retarded too.....

I edited the post within a minute cause Irealized people wouldnt understand my sentiment towards Piette.

Apology accepted. 

My uncropped post for the over zealous dumbasses. ..not to sound to forceful.

Even with your edit, it's still very inaccurate because Piette was mainly used as a sub in the Floro era.

5 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Even with your edit, it's still very inaccurate because Piette was mainly used as a sub in the Floro era

you're getting into semantics....

He played more than enough 90s and started more than enough games for what I said to be accurate. Please dont act like he wasn't at every camp, and wasn't getting any game time or else I think you just strated watching Canada.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/samuel-piette/nationalmannschaft/spieler/189019/verein_id/3510

Take a look for some accuracy.

Guys, I know this loss hurts, but you shouldn't let your emotions spill into these forums. We should appreciate the fact that OZ has managed to transform Canada into a dark horse candidate to rep CONCACRAP at the 2022 WC in a matter of weeks. With the birth of the CANPL approaching and the arrival of more dual nationals into the squad, things are certainly looking up for us.

Just now, Jahinho Guerro said:

you're getting into semantics....

He played more than enough 90s and started more than enough games for what I said to be accurate. Please dont act like he wasn't at every camp, and wasn't getting any game time or else I think you just strated watching Canada.

Oh please. The only reason Piette was hated on was because Floro played him out of position. Floro was right to call him, but wrong to play him high up the pitch.

Just now, Obinna said:

Only in the minds of those who seek undeserving whipping boys. 

Hmm...confused.

I never treated him as he was the whipping boy, my biggest thing about Piette before this tournament was that he was undeserving of being called up to every camp, and gaining ample amount of minutes considering the amount of players who were being overlooked at the time. This was the first time since maybe the U20 or U23 where we seen what Piette can do. Then the conversation will be he was played it of position which is what I disagree with. 

All in all I made reference to Piette in the sense of you keep giving them opprtunities, something will eventually come of them . I.E Larin.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Oh please. The only reason Piette was hated on was because Floro played him out of position. Floro was right to call him, but wrong to play him high up the pitch.

Howww we played a 4-5-1 Obi...

We were never high up the pitch lol, that's being in denial of the whole sit back and ride out a 0-0 game plan Floro used to employ.

Howww we played a 4-5-1 Obi...

We were never high up the pitch lol, that's being in denial of the whole sit back and ride out a 0-0 game plan Floro used to employ.

What are you talking about? Piette was often way up the field putting pressure on our opponents backline. 

4 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Hmm...confused.

I never treated him as he was the whipping boy, my biggest thing about Piette before this tournament was that he was undeserving of being called up to every camp, and gaining ample amount of minutes considering the amount of players who were being overlooked at the time. This was the first time since maybe the U20 or U23 where we seen what Piette can do. Then the conversation will be he was played it of position which is what I disagree with. 

All in all I made reference to Piette in the sense of you keep giving them opprtunities, something will eventually come of them . I.E Larin.

Not saying you did, but I do disagree with your view of Piette on this one. I don't think there's an argument to be made that Piette didn't deserve the calls he got.

His performances under Floro weren't as good as they are now, but they weren't terrible either, which is quite a feat considering he often played as one of two advanced CM's in a 3 man midfield, often with Julian while Straith played behind them. For me, that was too high up the field, but somehow you either disagree with that or don't remember it, unless I am missing something.

Borjan - hard to rate him too high, but the goals weren't really on him.  Had yet another bobble of the ball - would be nice to eliminate that.

Petrasso - pretty mediocre.  Lost possession a bunch of times.

Jakovic - not great.  Best move tonight seemed to be going down to win a free kick.

Vittoria - didn't do much to stand out.  Yellow was poor judgement.

James - strong when he subbed in.  Too bad he wasn't on the field longer.  I am mixed on him, but he's still young and shows flashes.

deJong - good game, and a good tournament overall for me.  Not amazing, but solid going both ways.  

Piette - like deJong, a good tournament.  Decent tonight, but curious where he was in the overall breakdown on their goals.

Hoilett - scored a beauty.  Also lost the ball to the 2nd or 3rd guy a number of times after beating the first one.  Still, overall a pretty good game.

Tiebert - mixed on this one.  Didn't seem to do a ton wrong, but also didn't do anything to justify replacing Bernier.  

Davies - reality check for him and us tonight.  He is 16.  He is only going to get faster, stronger and smarter on the ball.  But he looked his age tonight.

Arfield - not a great night.  Usually really solid and reliable in set piece delivery, but was poor tonight a number of times. Involved in some decent attacks but overall not up to his standard.

AJH - didn't do much in his time on, and hard to forget the end-line brain fart.

Larin - didn't justify the Cav replacement IMO, but had a couple chances. Typical performance in a Canada kit though, and really frustrating.

Cav - better overall in attack than Larin, but it is also true that he hasn't scored.  Good supporting play aside, scoring is a pretty important quality in a striker.

OZ - I like the general play this tournament, but hard not to pin a bit of this on him.  Larin didn't justify the faith, and I still feel that Bernier would have been better to start.  Given that those were the notable things he did to mix it up for the QFs, hard not to be a bit critical tonight.

overall, a decent tournament for us, but let's not get carried away - we only beat FG.  And while it was a better brand of footy to watch, tonight was a pretty Canadian performance/result in a big game.

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Meh, I wouldn't say that. The El Salvadors and Guatemalas of the region don't have too much pace. Even against teams like Costa Rica, USA and Mexico they are fine. Just not against the teams with incredible pace up front like Jamaica, T&T and Honduras (maybe Panama).

Lozano/Chicarito, Morris/Wood, Campbell/Urena would torch them. Too slow for any top team.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What are you talking about? Piette was often way up the field putting pressure on our opponents backline. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not saying you did, but I do disagree with your view of Piette on this one. I don't think there's an argument to be made that Piette didn't deserve the calls he got.

His performances under Floro weren't as good as they are now, but they weren't terrible either, which is quite a feat considering he often played as one of two advanced CM's in a 3 man midfield, often with Julian while Straith played behind them. For me, that was too high up the field, but somehow you either disagree with that or don't remember it, unless I am missing something.

When did we play with two "advanced" CM? That's the part I'm confused about.

If your saying he had to press the back line,  I too remember JDG pressing the back line a few times.

Majority of the time we played a 4-5-----1, with only the wingers joining the attack, I'm confused as to when at any given time were we pressing backlines I'm the Floro era.

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Borjan - hard to rate him too high, but the goals weren't really on him.  Had yet another bobble of the ball - would be nice to eliminate that.

Petrasso - pretty mediocre.  Lost possession a bunch of times.

Dasovic - not great.  Best move tonight seemed to be going down to win a free kick.

Vittoria - didn't do much to stand out.  Yellow was poor judgement.

James - strong when he subbed in.  Too bad he wasn't on the field longer.  I am mixed on him, but he's still young and shows flashes.

deJong - good game, and a good tournament overall for me.  Not amazing, but solid going both ways.  

Piette - like deJong, a good tournament.  Decent tonight, but curious where he was in the overall breakdown on their goals.

Hoilett - scored a beauty.  Also lost the ball to the 2nd or 3rd guy a number of times after beating the first one.  Still, overall a pretty good game.

Tiebert - mixed on this one.  Didn't seem to do a ton wrong, but also didn't do anything to justify replacing Bernier.  

Davies - reality check for him and us tonight.  He is 16.  He is only going to get faster, stronger and smarter on the ball.  But he looked his age tonight.

Arfield - not a great night.  Usually really solid and reliable in set piece delivery, but was poor tonight a number of times. Involved in some decent attacks but overall not up to his standard.

AJH - didn't do much in his time on, and hard to forget the end-line brain fart.

Larin - didn't justify the Cav replacement IMO, but had a couple chances. Typical performance in a Canada kit though, and really frustrating.

Cav - better overall in attack than Larin, but it is also true that he hasn't scored.  Good supporting play aside, scoring is a pretty important quality in a striker.

OZ - I like the general play this tournament, but hard not to pin a bit of this on him.  Larin didn't justify the faith, and I still feel that Bernier would have been better to start.  Given that those were the notable things he did to mix it up for the QFs, hard not to be a bit critical tonight.

overall, a decent tournament for us, but let's not get carried away - we only beat FG.  And while it was a better brand of footy to watch, tonight was a pretty Canadian performance/result in a big game.

Dasovic is back?!?  ?

So many emotions. 

Few thoughts - 1. James played really well,  probably should start. 

2. Larin, for me it Doesn't matter if he started or coming off the bench he's part of this program and one of Canada's best strikers. He had couple decent chances.  I'm kinda sick of Canadian coaches putting him alone up top.  They tried it in Orlando and that didn't work so they got another striker in and Boom. I  would have loved to seeing Larin and Cavallini play together. Cavallini plays well  defensively, so it could have worked. Also Cavallini plays with a second striker for his club team as well. 

3.  I understand the thinking of putting Russell in  over Bernier. Benier is 37 years old and would have been  exposed by the Jamaican speed on the counter attack. 

4.  We dominated the play most of the game with a few lapses and we got punished for it that's how games goes sometimes . Blake was the difference maker. 

5. We have holes in this Canadian team, is it better then teams of the past HELL yes. Can those holes be filled? Yes,  Canada has players that can come in and fix our issues. Lack of Depth and Speed at CB , well Henry and Edgar are coming back from injury. Also if Ferreira comes into fold. Lack of solid, two way CM, well there are some young players going to be coming in like jay chapman and etc and if Cristante joins ( he would fix our CM issues like that and there is a real chance ). 

6. i thought Oz made some mistakes with the subs but overall I'm happy as a fan the way the team played. The program has taken a HUGE STEP FORWARD! But we can't go back to old ways. Us supporters should be proud of this team and excited about the future.

7. Yes losing suck! And we  probably should have won that game. Let's learn from it and grow. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Archived