Canada vs Jamaica Match Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Zambrano got it wrong by playing too slow of a backline. I thought it was De Jong who'd be the risk, but he had a good game and good tournament. Vitoria, already on a yellow, should have been the one to sit out. Should have been James and Jakovic, or even James and Straith.

Agree - James is a must against a team that fast. Thought De Jong had a pretty solid game.

1 minute ago, One American said:

I don't know what to do with Larin. When you look at the Twellmans and Wondos of the world, usually great-club-bad-country goal scorers have trouble getting separation against decent teams. Larin clearly gets good separation. It should just be a matter of putting it in. But he doesn't. You have to stick with him, I think. But it's a huge problem. 

Good analogy.  Larin is our Wondo.  Great in MLS, but shanks the ball in goal with the Nats.  If we could have another forward, I'd put Larin further down.  If Larin wants to really get better at finishing and score in high pressure games, he needs to get his ass to Europe and show what he's got.

2 minutes ago, One American said:

I don't know what to do with Larin. When you look at the Twellmans and Wondos of the world, usually great-club-bad-country goal scorers have trouble getting separation against decent teams. Larin clearly gets good separation. It should just be a matter of putting it in. But he doesn't. You have to stick with him, I think. But it's a huge problem. 

I don't think you have to stick with him at all. Yes call him in when he is deserving and in form for club, but I am getting tired of him being given starts when he does not produce.

3 minutes ago, lowlander said:
7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Zambrano got it wrong by playing too slow of a backline. I thought it was De Jong who'd be the risk, but he had a good game and good tournament. Vitoria, already on a yellow, should have been the one to sit out. Should have been James and Jakovic, or even James and Straith.

Agree - James is a must against a team that fast. Thought De Jong had a pretty solid game.

I really thought Vitoria and Jakovic were our best CBs, but I'm really not sure after today. Maybe it really should be James and Jakovic... Man, we need help in the back. 

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

I really thought Vitoria and Jakovic were our bet CBs, but I'm really not sure after today. Maybe it really should be James and Jakovic... Man, we need help in the back. 

I think Jakovic and Vitoria are a good pairing, but not against teams with speed.

5 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Good analogy.  Larin is our Wondo.  Great in MLS, but shanks the ball in goal with the Nats.  If we could have another forward, I'd put Larin further down.  If Larin wants to really get better at finishing and score in high pressure games, he needs to get his ass to Europe and show what he's got.

Wondo has a goal per 3 games with the US. That comparison is a slap in the face to him. Larin is on 5 goals in 21 game now, with no sign of turning it around anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Larin looked completely out of sync with the group tonight.

We've gotta understand that the team is still learning OZ's tactics, and the chemistry between players still insnt there. Larin is in a bit of a rough patch rn, considering the trauma from a DUI, the goal drought, and his abrupt arrival into the squad, its a bit shallow from people to criticize him. I know this team will be a fearsome attacking force, we just gotta wait guys.

2 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Which is only probable as he had a few days of training and had not played in the three previous games.  I am loving Oz but the two miscues were not playing James and starting Cyle. 

I can't recall if I officially went on record here saying Cavallini should start the game, but I certainly thought about it. When I saw the starting line up I was disappointed not to see him in there. Mistake but we now move on and wait another 2 years until official competition.

I hope we see more friendlies in the meantime. The CSA has given us more in recent years but how do we expect to keep pace with CONCACAF when teams are playing more matches than we are.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think you have to stick with him at all. Yes call him in when he is deserving and in form for club, but I am getting tired of him being given starts when he does not produce.

Samuel Piette was the epitome of this statement, and he was in the top 5 performers for Canada. 

A lot of hot takes here in the heat of the moment..

My general impression is we were playing against an opponent that had a sound gameplan (as they have been doing all tournament if you were watching them..) and that is to bunker and counter...and they beat us. Also we looked sluggish collectively. As soon as the match started I noticed how much we were not moving when in possession...just standing and ball watching. Don't know if that was the result of not playing in 6 days or what..

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Which is essentially the entire concacaf

Meh, I wouldn't say that. The El Salvadors and Guatemalas of the region don't have too much pace. Even against teams like Costa Rica, USA and Mexico they are fine. Just not against the teams with incredible pace up front like Jamaica, T&T and Honduras (maybe Panama).

14 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Really not sure about that. Cavallini has yet to score a goal for Canada.

Scoring is a key thing for forwards, but being able to control and grt your midfielders involved is another key component that Cavallini does great. 

7 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Samuel Piette.

Really? I dont want to sound too forceful but how retarded are ya?
Stopped many plays in the middle, tough in the tackles, good tracking back, did the job he was supposed to do.
We lose one game and the majority of the people here want the heads of any players who they personally dont like.
I personally dont like Larin but I still think he deserve another chance, given he shouldnt have started today.
Atleast the Spaniards from Bein sport seems to like our performance, they talked about many of the talking points we have, ex. the CBs should have been a fast cb with a slow cb, that Cavallini added more connection to the team and game play than larin, Piette's holding play was solid, Manjrekar was brilliant after coming on....
some of you people need to relax when we lose, imagine if you guys were the manager, the amount of players you idiots would axe after one non-perfect game, Canada would be at the level of Timor-leste.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Meh, I wouldn't say that. The El Salvadors and Guatemalas of the region don't have too much pace. Even against teams like Costa Rica, USA and Mexico they are fine. Just not against the teams with incredible pace up front like Jamaica, T&T and Honduras (maybe Panama).

I'll say this argument is dependent on who's playing. ...because each of those teams you mentioned have really pacey forward's  (Campbell for CR, Lozano & Corona for MX, Wood, Agudelo for US)...it's the change of pace or direction  that they struggle with, and that's why i think almost every forward has that in our region.

1 minute ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Really? I dont want to sound too forceful but how retarded are ya?
Stopped many plays in the middle, tough in the tackles, good tracking back, did the job he was supposed to do.
We lose one game and the majority of the people here want the heads of any players who they personally dont like.
I personally dont like Larin but I still think he deserve another chance, given he shouldnt have started today.
Atleast the Spaniards from Bein sport seems to like our performance, they talked about many of the talking points we have, ex. the CBs should have been a fast cb with a slow cb, that Cavallini added more connection to the team and game play than larin, Piette's holding play was solid, Manjrekar was brilliant after coming on....
some of you people need to relax when we lose, imagine if you guys were the manager, the amount of players you idiots would axe after one non-perfect game, Canada would be at the level of Timor-leste.

yeah a lot of emotional knee-jerk reactions and not much objective analysis of the match...people just look for a scapegoat when losing.

Archived