Which defector are you least pissed at?

matty

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On February 5, 2018 at 9:18 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Wasn't sure what thread to write this in. 

I was in the Eaton Centre today walking past the Nike store and was stopped in my tracks to nearly spit out my coffee. There before me was a gigantic storefront poster of Sydney Leroux.....   I let out an audidble "WTF!" to the unanimous confusion of busy shoppers wondering why some guy is stood there gesturing angrily at an overpriced shoe store.

I'll be there tomorrow. I'll take a photo. Ya, that grinds doesn't it.  

I have no animosity towards Thunder Dan Fernandes who couldn't get an opportunity with Canada despite having a good career in Europe so when Portugal came a calling, he leapt at the chance and while he was capped only twice, Dan was their #3 keeper in South Africa (he didn't play). To be in the dressing room with Ronaldo and the rest must have been the experience of a lifetime. 

Some of you may remember that Dan, as Thunder Dan, was a presence on our first Voyageurs forum way back when. 

I was thrilled for him!

Didn't Landon Donovan have a Canadian father?

So, in theory, around 5 years ago we could have had Atiba, JDG, JDG2, Donovan, Hoilet, and Dero in our starting lineup.  Don't know if Begovic was already fully developed then.  And as long as I'm daydreaming, Josh Simpson never gets injured.

Would not have been a bad team.

15 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Didn't Landon Donovan have a Canadian father?

So, in theory, around 5 years ago we could have had Atiba, JDG, JDG2, Donovan, Hoilet, and Dero in our starting lineup.  Don't know if Begovic was already fully developed then.  And as long as I'm daydreaming, Josh Simpson never gets injured.

Would not have been a bad team.

From Wikipedia:

Donovan was born (along with twin sister Tristan) on March 4, 1982, in Ontario, California, to Donna Kenney-Cash, a special education teacher, and Tim Donovan, a semi-professional ice hockey player originally from Canada, which makes Donovan a Canadian citizen by descent.

Honestly, I'm not torn up about anyone "defecting". Especially if they're dual nationals.  

If you are a nation that has a modern concept of multiple societal identities - and we do, there is no argument here - then you have to accept that some people will not identify the way that suits your interest. If we're okay with dual nationals that have spent most of their life overseas playing for Canada (like Aird), then we must accept the inverse; that people who have spent most of their lives here will play for another country. @MrSabiondo was hinting at this point in an above post.

Take Sydney Leroux for example. She chose to play for the top women's team in the world, has won multiple World Cups, Olympic medals and is a soccer celebrity. She would not have had that opportunity if she chose Canada. We don't get mad at a computer programmer for leaving Shopify in Ottawa for Twitter in California, or a mechanic leaving Toyota in Ontario for Renault in Paris. Why should soccer players take the same heat for advancing their own careers?  

The anger with Leroux is that even while playing for Canada's women's youth teams, she was telling her teammates she really wanted to play for the USA. She took advantage of our system and our funding while having no intention of ever playing for Canada at the senior level if the USA would take her. 

The ill will was compounded when she accused Canadian supporters of racism when the USA played here. There was never any indication of such. 

In regards to your references to private enterprise entities, it's not as if they are wearing the Maple Leaf on their shirt or representing our nation when they go to work at Shopify. An athlete, playing for Canada, whatever the sport may be, is wearing our national symbol, standing at attention during our anthem and playing for our country.  

You seem to be unable to define the distinction between playing for a club and playing for your country!

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Honestly, I'm not torn up about anyone "defecting". Especially if they're dual nationals.  

If you are a nation that has a modern concept of multiple societal identities - and we do, there is no argument here - then you have to accept that some people will not identify the way that suits your interest. If we're okay with dual nationals that have spent most of their life overseas playing for Canada (like Aird), then we must accept the inverse; that people who have spent most of their lives here will play for another country. @MrSabiondo was hinting at this point in an above post.

Take Sydney Leroux for example. She chose to play for the top women's team in the world, has won multiple World Cups, Olympic medals and is a soccer celebrity. She would not have had that opportunity if she chose Canada. We don't get mad at a computer programmer for leaving Shopify in Ottawa for Twitter in California, or a mechanic leaving Toyota in Ontario for Renault in Paris. Why should soccer players take the same heat for advancing their own careers?  

I never saw 30 thousand fans paying to go see a mechanic change a tire. If you do not know the difference by now, I do not know what to tell you.

7 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

@MrSabiondo 

We don't get mad at a computer programmer for leaving Shopify in Ottawa for Twitter in California, or a mechanic leaving Toyota in Ontario for Renault in Paris. Why should soccer players take the same heat for advancing their own careers?  

A mechanic or programmer leaving the country for a job is analogous to a soccer player leaving to play for a club team. Now, if that programmer decided to rep. the US in the Computer Science WC i'd be pretty pissed about it.

"God damn Brandon Poindexter, ungrateful fuck. We subsidized his University education and he's only American cuz Microsoft threw lots of $$$ at him. Another prodigy lost..."

10 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

That is the worst comparison ever made on these forums. Like seriously. One directly involves representing a country while the other does not. One is public the other is anonymous. Can we not make dumb comparisons like that? Not to attack but damn I just hate this "celebrities their just like us" crap

Now I agree with you that she would not have been so high profile if she had picked Canada, much like Lewis, but that doesn't mean you have to like or even be fine seeing her in the Eaton Centre on a major store.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:41 PM, MrSabiondo said:

None. 

I understand them all.  Why would you play for Canada a country devoid of soccer culture?

This doesn't mean that I like it, but it's just the reality we live in.

Maybe because they are proud of their country and want to show it. But hey that's just me.

Archived